Author Topic: Interview With Francis Chou  (Read 12560 times)

educatedidiot

Re: Interview With Francis Chou
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2017, 08:51:11 AM »
It's also great for getting data on business segments.  With Disney for example:
http://www.rocketfinancial.com/Overview.aspx?fID=5102&pw=168324

You can click on Media Networks to see the performance of that specific segment, and then drill-down even further to see how the Cable Networks are performing vs the Broadcasting operations

longlake95

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2017, 12:19:40 PM »
Ok...that is very cool...the ability to drill down. However, it seems not all the data is available for many companies. I noticed the data for Canadian companies to be thin. Hopefully that will improve over time. But it's a great start.

OracleofCarolina

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2017, 08:03:43 AM »
http://chouamerica.com/index.html

Annual report is out for Chou America fund.

Disappointing run so far for Chou Opportunity fund

since inception(7/1/10), Chou 4.35%, S&P 500 15.15

stahleyp

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2017, 09:02:53 AM »
It's somewhat amazing (in a bad way) that he can have a decent chuck of money (for a mutual fund) in tarp warrants and still lose money last year.

Regrettably I own the fund (bought around the time was introduced...ouch) and quite a bit larger amount in 401k (started buying in March of last year). I'm hoping for some type of mean reversion but have been wrong so far. The fact that he waives the management fee at least makes me feel better.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 09:16:22 AM by stahleyp »
Paul

Jurgis

• Porfolio
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2017, 09:25:28 AM »
Anybody has opinions about his income fund? Looks like a lot of risky bonds... but is he good in investing into them?

I guess I should look at past reports on why the fund went down in 2014-2015. Probably energy bonds?..

dyow

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2017, 10:42:06 AM »
I keep hearing about this guy but what are his historical returns?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Chou+funds+returns

incredible, internet wizard

Just curious what dyow means?

Do Your Own Work
I know what it means. I just find it ironic it was so hard to put 3 words into Google. It was easier to ask someone else the question and await an answer. Not doing your own work.

I was busy looking at a stock, an ugly one, hence the delay in replying.

For shhughes1116 and augustabound,

I will post my thesis for at least one of two stocks.  I have two ideas that are each worth about 75% to 150% more than current price with near term catalysts (i have researched these stocks for very closely, months worth of full time research each, i over do it i know). I know i can make money for other board members. 

But i won't post until either of you post a thesis and help other members.  I don't think it is fair that i put that much work into researching while others on the forum add no value.

You implied i don't do my own work, which in turn implies you guys do your own work............let's go thesis for thesis. and we can let the board members decide who actually does work.

investmd

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2017, 05:35:30 AM »
Have been a believer in the Chou philosophy and admired his candid nature, thoughtful analysis and ability to go against the grain. However, 10 year returns on all his funds have been less than 5% annualized. Whilst value investing is a long term game, 10 years is a fair time period to analyze a money manager. Are there any structural reasons to think that the next 10 years will be drastically different? I wish Francis Chou would explain what he has learned over the past decade and how he plans to avoid the same type of mistakes. Is there a fundamental flaw in his philosophy? Or does he believe decision making tree was appropriate and would do the same thing again?

His explanations for investing in SHLD, Valeant, RFP, Blackberry all seem insightful but 10 years later the result isn't there....

Cigarbutt

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2017, 05:51:05 AM »
investmd,
I like your way of asking more questions than providing answers.
We should continue perhaps bottom fishing looking for value but the question you ask: "Are there any structural reasons to think that the next 10 years will be drastically different?" really haunts me. Obviously, there is a lot of noise. Always the case. To separate the wheat from the chaff is the challenge.
I would appreciate also hearing Mr. Chou on these questions.

CorpRaider

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2017, 06:18:25 AM »
In fairness, I would note that the last decade is one of the few in the history of (at least us returns) the stock market where value underperformed.  Not sure what his benchmark should be but portfolio visualizer shows a (.16) cagr over the period from 01/01/2007 - 02/28/2017 for international developed ex-us value stocks.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 06:22:27 AM by CorpRaider »

ourkid8

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2017, 06:34:10 AM »
why don't you email his office?  (admin@choufunds.com, fchou@choufunds.com)  I have emailed him in the past and he has called me back to discuss. 

investmd,
I like your way of asking more questions than providing answers.
We should continue perhaps bottom fishing looking for value but the question you ask: "Are there any structural reasons to think that the next 10 years will be drastically different?" really haunts me. Obviously, there is a lot of noise. Always the case. To separate the wheat from the chaff is the challenge.
I would appreciate also hearing Mr. Chou on these questions.