Author Topic: Lazard report on energy  (Read 7179 times)

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
Re: Lazard report on energy
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2017, 10:14:24 AM »
You're not saying/linking anything that contradicts what I said.

Thanks for the ad hominem attacks. I rent a house, what a novel thing!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 10:19:14 AM by Liberty »
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | Watch this, please

RichardGibbons

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2017, 11:04:50 AM »
Thanks for the ad hominem attacks.

It's pretty amazing actually. Even on the simplest, non-controversial thread, Cardboard feels the need to start attacking people personally.

I'm guessing that it might be because, when he feels unsure of his knowledge or position, he goes ad hominem to make himself feel less uncertain.  Or maybe it's more of a vendetta thing, where Cardboard has classifies some posters as "enemies", and therefore needs to attack whenever he sees them, akin to a dog barking at the postman.  Or something else?

Parsad

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2017, 03:04:16 PM »
Hey Guys,

Specifically Cardboard and Liberty...feel free to debate and make generalizations about broad groups...but don't target each other in your posts.

I also recommend that to all participants...feel free to rant and rave...but other than a quote embedded in your reply...don't take shots at specific posters.

Thanks everyone!  Cheers!
No man is a failure who has friends!

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2017, 05:51:09 AM »
Hey Guys,

Specifically Cardboard and Liberty...feel free to debate and make generalizations about broad groups...but don't target each other in your posts.

I also recommend that to all participants...feel free to rant and rave...but other than a quote embedded in your reply...don't take shots at specific posters.

Thanks everyone!  Cheers!

Is this because I said he had a "superficial understanding of the field"? I didn't think that crossed a line, and I'm not seeing anything else. I have a superficial understanding of many fields, I don't see that as an insult at all. And I never "target" Cardboard, he just follows me around with his off-topic personal attacks. Not much I can do about that Į\_(ツ)_/Į

Cheers!
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | Watch this, please

Cigarbutt

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2017, 06:05:03 AM »
Thought this may be relevant.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/just-because-youre-right-doesnt-mean-theyre-wrong-brian-walker

"For me this is the true value of diversity, everybody examining and considering different perspectives and coming up with the best answers for the challenges they face. Itís not easy work. Itís often very uncomfortable. But the rewards are unmistakable, and we can end up finding solutions to problems we never imagined possible."

Then again, who I am to say?

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2017, 09:20:06 AM »
Thought this may be relevant.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/just-because-youre-right-doesnt-mean-theyre-wrong-brian-walker

"For me this is the true value of diversity, everybody examining and considering different perspectives and coming up with the best answers for the challenges they face. Itís not easy work. Itís often very uncomfortable. But the rewards are unmistakable, and we can end up finding solutions to problems we never imagined possible."

Then again, who I am to say?

Very nice, but I don't think it applies here. If someone tells you that hydrogen is a "substitute" for fossil fuels as a "source" of energy here on Earth, the laws of mathematics and physics say that they're wrong. It's not about differing opinions or about being used to doing things a certain way. It's about energy in vs energy out.

Cardboard

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2017, 10:31:08 AM »
"And I never "target" Cardboard, he just follows me around with his off-topic personal attacks."

8,883 posts at current count... Wow! Seems like that I have a lot of catch-up to do to follow you around.  :o

The problem with some individuals on this site, is the constant need to argue endlessly or to win every battle. Put down others to valorize yourself? Evidence of suffering from an inferiority complex?

It is actually quite funny that the same individuals who are bashing Trump, again endlessly, are displaying the exact same attitude. The only difference is that they tell you to go ... yourself or that you are an idiot or moron in a politically correct fashion. I think it is time for some on this site to fight back this abuse.

Anyway, regarding hydrogen, I will let the scientists do their things and develop fusion and smarter ways to extract it which I firmly believe will revolutionize some of the current thinking.

Also funny that scientists who are gods when it comes to climate change analysis, are ignored when they work on new science that does not fit a narrative, or current incentives/investments. 

Cardboard

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2017, 10:49:41 AM »
"And I never "target" Cardboard, he just follows me around with his off-topic personal attacks."

8,883 posts at current count... Wow! Seems like that I have a lot of catch-up to do to follow you around.  :o

The problem with some individuals on this site, is the constant need to argue endlessly or to win every battle. Put down others to valorize yourself? Evidence of suffering from an inferiority complex?

It is actually quite funny that the same individuals who are bashing Trump, again endlessly, are displaying the exact same attitude. The only difference is that they tell you to go ... yourself or that you are an idiot or moron in a politically correct fashion. I think it is time for some on this site to fight back this abuse.

Anyway, regarding hydrogen, I will let the scientists do their things and develop fusion and smarter ways to extract it which I firmly believe will revolutionize some of the current thinking.

Also funny that scientists who are gods when it comes to climate change analysis, are ignored when they work on new science that does not fit a narrative, or current incentives/investments. 

Cardboard

See, you immediately resort to ad hominem again, proving my point.

Yes I write a lot, and most people interact with me in a civilized manner and everything goes well. Somehow it's different with you, how is that my fault?

As for hydrogen, I don't ignore the scientific work done in the field, I understand it, rather than just hand-wave it as something it's not. Even if we develop fusion, the nuclear reaction is the source of energy. Then using that energy to generate hydrogen from water would just be a way to store that electricity, just like in a battery, because you get less energy than you put in. It wouldn't make hydrogen a source of energy. It would just mean you're storing your nuclear energy in hydrogen (at lower efficiencies than batteries, since we were talking about transportation). Same if you develop a way to do artificial photosynthesis to create hydrogen using solar power. All the numbers I've seen so far are in low single digit percents of efficiency vs now around 20% for commercial available solar panels, with much higher costs and complexity levels (since we already have electricity grid but not hydrogen infrastructure), and that's not even counting further losses from compressing the hydrogen, distributing it, and further losses from either combustion (really bad) or fuel cells (decent, but still very expensive and complex..).

I post a paper on energy and you come in and say that hydrogen is a "substitute" for fossil fuels and a "source" of energy. Am I supposed to say nothing?

I agree with this, it describes you well.

Most people would have just said "Oh, I didn't know these things about hydrogen, interesting", but you had to double and triple down and keep arguing with an appeal to authority ("scientists are working on it and they're smart, hence I'm right") and then attack me personally to try to valorize yourself.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 11:18:31 AM by Liberty »

DooDiligence

• ♪ 🎶 ♫ ♪ 🎶 ♫
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2017, 11:53:40 AM »

recycled cardboard
abc | abev | aapl | bbh | brk.b | cri | cvs | dva | dis | ew | ffxdf | gpc | mo | nvo | sftby | vde

8 months left in the BRK.B 1st of the month DCA program (hoping 4 a selloff 2 go all in!)

-----

https://twitter.com/tunawish

kab60

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2017, 03:28:23 AM »
It's frickin' amazing how fast wind is dropping in price, and the absolute leader is on sale now at an Ev/Ebitda around 5 even though more and more of the revenue is from long term, high margin service.