Author Topic: Lazard report on energy  (Read 7213 times)

John Hjorth

Re: Lazard report on energy
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2017, 04:33:19 AM »
For our fellow board members, kab60 is referring to Vestas Wind System A/S [VWS.CPH] here. It tanked about 25 percent in two days last week. That actually created what I would call a minor shockwave in the Danish stock market.
”In the race of excellence … there is no finish line.”
-HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and Ruler of Dubai

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2017, 07:05:14 AM »
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | Watch this, please

kab60

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2017, 09:35:21 AM »
That is truly impressive. The drop in PV prices is crazy, and if this earth isn't to get totally fucked, those two technologies needs to get ramped aggressively. I think it's a pretty good bet that politicians get their shit together. And if not, it's becoming so cheap so fast that it won't need subsidies anyway.

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2017, 10:01:44 AM »
That is truly impressive. The drop in PV prices is crazy, and if this earth isn't to get totally fucked, those two technologies needs to get ramped aggressively. I think it's a pretty good bet that politicians get their shit together. And if not, it's becoming so cheap so fast that it won't need subsidies anyway.

What's most impressive to me is if you go back and look at forecasts of installed capacity and forecasts for price/watt done at various times over the past 20-30 years, they all undershoot by quite a bit. Makes me think there's a good chance we'll keep seeing these tech surprise us to the upside and that the transition will take place faster than most expect.
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | Watch this, please

LC

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2017, 10:32:32 AM »
I hope so. It's also a good case study of where government subsidies have worked to spur demand/investment, to the point where the technology is cost competitive.
"Lethargy bordering on sloth remains the cornerstone of our investment style."
------------------------------------------------------------------
brk.b | khc | nke | mo | renx | c | wppgy | dis | cmp

Cardboard

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2017, 10:44:06 AM »
"I think it's a pretty good bet that politicians get their shit together."

"It's also a good case study of where government subsidies have worked to spur demand/investment, to the point where the technology is cost competitive."

LOL!

So you are continuing to wait for your government? PowerWalls and solar panels are available for your house right now. What is the issue?

Cardboard

John Hjorth

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2017, 10:48:52 AM »
Are you gents looking at this as investors?, - or what?
-HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and Ruler of Dubai

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2017, 10:51:59 AM »

John, personally I'm just interested by the tech and by the field, which I've been following for almost 20 years. I haven't seen anything that makes me want to invest in energy, clean or otherwise. Seems like a hard business to invest in.

LC

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2017, 10:53:26 AM »
"It's also a good case study of where government subsidies have worked to spur demand/investment, to the point where the technology is cost competitive."

LOL!

So you are continuing to wait for your government? PowerWalls and solar panels are available for your house right now. What is the issue?

Cardboard

I don't own a house.
"Lethargy bordering on sloth remains the cornerstone of our investment style."
------------------------------------------------------------------
brk.b | khc | nke | mo | renx | c | wppgy | dis | cmp

John Hjorth

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2017, 10:55:36 AM »

John, personally I'm just interested by the tech and by the field, which I've been following for almost 20 years. I haven't seen anything that makes me want to invest in energy, clean or otherwise. Seems like a hard business to invest in.

Thanks for sharing your view here, Liberty. Yes, it's from a tech angle so fascinating what's going on. Making money on it as an investor is - at least to me - another matter.