Author Topic: Movies and TV shows (general recommendation thread)  (Read 8508 times)

SHDL

Re: Movies and TV shows (general recommendation thread)
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2019, 10:50:49 AM »
For me, The Death of Stalin started pretty well but then became a bit too distressing as the story progressed and turned darker and I could no longer tell what was parody and what was not.  Maybe that was the point, but anyway. 

Drive (2011) was an excellent recent find.

The Last Jedi (2017) was pretty controversial among Star Wars fans (unsurprisingly) but I liked it.  Iíve met certain heroes/legends in real life and I thought the film gave a pretty honest depiction of what it means to be one.

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2019, 11:10:17 AM »
For me, The Death of Stalin started pretty well but then became a bit too distressing as the story progressed and turned darker and I could no longer tell what was parody and what was not.  Maybe that was the point, but anyway. 

In the interview I link, the writer/director says that they didn't want to make fun of any of the real atrocities, since this is based on true events, so every time there's killing and torture and such, they play it straight. But once it's behind closed doors with the politicians, then the farce takes over.
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | This podcast episode is a must-listen

SHDL

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2019, 11:16:04 AM »
That makes sense.  I generally thought it was a lot more serious than what one might expect from a black comedy film.  Viewers should calibrate their expectations going in - because it isn't another Dr. Strangelove.

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2019, 11:19:31 AM »
That makes sense.  I generally thought it was a lot more serious than what one might expect from a black comedy film.  Viewers should calibrate their expectations going in - because it isn't another Dr. Strangelove.

That's correct. I was also surprised (I didn't know much about it going on), but it actually increased my enjoyment because I think it's important that we get reminders once in a while of just how vile these regimes were. Historical distance and the death of first-hand victims is making it all more fuzzy over time...
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | This podcast episode is a must-listen

DooDiligence

• ♪ 🎶 ♫ ♪ 🎶 ♫
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2019, 01:05:32 PM »
Who is Harry Nilsson (And Why is Everyone Talking About Him)?
Healthcare 25.2% - CVS EW NVO // BRK.B - 23.1% // Auto's & Oil 14.8% - CLB GPC VDE

Media & Communication 8.4% - CHTR DIS // Banking 6.6% - WFC // Drinkers & Smokers 5.5% - MO

Tech 0.0%

%'s held @ MV 08/15/2019 minus 16.6% investable cash

i trumpet my ignorance

https://twitter.com/tunawish

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2019, 01:13:30 PM »
In Amazon video:
The man in the high castle
Viking
Jack Ryan
Hannibal
Home fires
Downtown Abbey
Endevour
White Chapel

Somehow we've watched none of the same Amazon Prime Video shows.

My faves are Sneaky Pete S1 (kind of a mix between Justified and some Breaking Bad elements (produced by Brian Cranston and some Justified guys), Patriot S1 (LOVED this one, couldn't get into S2 yet), and Marvellous Mrs. Maisel (don't let the flowery title scare you, I really enjoyed S1 and can't wait to check out S2 -- it's written by Amy Sherman Palladino, of Gilmore Girls fame, but this is more adult and kind of Mad Men vibe in production level).

boilermaker75

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2019, 02:21:33 PM »
I've really gotten into the British mysteries, Endeavor, Inspector Lewis, Shetland, and Foyle's War. Acting is superb, probably all Shakespearean trained actors.

Gregmal

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2019, 02:45:25 PM »
Sopranos
Californication
Nip/Tuck
Damages
Mad Men
Eastbound and Down

I don't watch much tv and it takes a lot for me to get into stuff. Honorable mentions but not stuff I'd really be able to rewatch were Boardwalk Empire, The Wire, House of Lies, Dexter, Vice Principals. Currently trying to force myself to stay with Billions, and giving Black Monday a chance. Homeland had big potential but I totally got bored with it after Season 3.

rb

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2019, 06:06:08 PM »
Some that haven't been mentioned here already.

Berlin station on Epix. Spy stuff. Good scripts and very good acting.

Vikings on netflix. Simple comedy but funny as hell. I also enjoyed Narcos on Netflix. Very good production imo.

Btw, if you enjoy Berlin Station or spy stuff, I suggest you also check out A Most Wanted Man. Great spy movie and I think Phillip Seymour Hoffman's last before he passed.

meiroy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2019, 08:49:03 PM »

I thought 'The Death of Stalin' was hilarious, loved it.  None of my friends agree.

The Expanse is possibly the best sci-fi series I have ever seen.

Watched Zombieland about 7 times. It's a completely nerdy stupid cult movie.

The Man in the high castle is really good, though depressing.  Babylon Berlin is also quite good.