RIP John Bogle

longtermdave

Guest cherzeca

I know Buffett is revered on this site, rightly so, but bogle has positively influenced so many more lives.  maybe rename this site corner of Berkshire, Fairfax and vanguard.

Guest longinvestor

I know Buffett is revered on this site, rightly so, but bogle has positively influenced so many more lives.  maybe rename this site corner of Berkshire, Fairfax and vanguard.

RIP. A doyen of investing whose low cost investing sustained for the next 50 years would leave trillions in customers pockets. Buffett acknowledged Bogle two years ago at the AGM, saying nobody has done more for ordinary investors. An American hero! https://finance.yahoo.com/news/incredible-moment-warren-buffett-praised-jack-bogle-2017-berkshire-meeting-234802810.html

Guest longinvestor

A fitting tribute to Bogle would be if 401K plan sponsors are motivated, cajoled or even regulated to offer low cost index funds in their plans. The retirement crisis would be addressed or at least not stolen from. Bogle would RIP should Munger’s prediction of 0.2% max fees comes true.

I really admired the late Bogle.  One of the biggest things he did was make Vanguard a mutual.

By doing so he gave up an unbelievable level of wealth to the customers of Vanguard and likely competitors customers who had to lower fees.

How much did he give up?

If he had made Vanguard a for profit lets assume that on $5 trillion he would have made 5 bps.

That works out to $250m per year so let's put that at 20x = $5b plus all the profits he would have collected over the years and that could of easily been $7b+.

He is probably saving people billions per year on fee reductions. 

Amazing.

He is opposite of the private equity manager/hedge fund model.

He seemed like a good man. I think he's done quite a bit more than even Buffett for the average investor. Not only with the low cost index fund itself but also with forcing other places to reduce the costs for funds too.

My Math for Liberal Arts instructor has given us an extra credit assignment.

The assignment requires a 5 minute oral presentation (with visuals) about a historical individual who made an impact on the world & how this person used math to accomplish their work.

I'm doing mine on John Bogle & index investing.

The assignment requires a 5 minute oral presentation (with visuals) about a historical individual who made an impact on the world & how this person used math to accomplish their work.

Great pick, Jeff! You'll do well!

Great pick, Jeff! You'll do well!

You may know the man, the capitalist with a soul, well but thought the following reference could instil some inspiration:

http://www.philly.com/business/john-bogle-dead-vanguard-obituary-20190116.html

"While Mr. Bogle was facile with numbers, he was much less interested in counting than in what counts, and his intellectual range was broad."

I would say his impact was mutual in nature.