Author Topic: Sam Hinkie Letter  (Read 5505 times)

dorsiacapital

Re: Sam Hinkie Letter
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2016, 01:28:25 PM »
I actually think this letter is a great example (and there have been others recently) of how hedge fund guys are extremely susceptible to non hedge fund guys who "talk the talk" regardless of whether they walk the walk long term.  More than anything else, I think it explains how Hinkie was able to convince them to do the "process" for years and years.

The walking the walk of being an NBA GM is actually drafting/acquiring good players. Hinkie has totally failed at that. Only Embiid, arguably, has potential but seems almost certainly headed down the Greg Oden path.

I thought comparing himself to Buffett was particularly rich.  Buffett shut down the partnership after over a decade of amazing returns. So far, Hinkie has lost a ton of games and acquired potentially 2 very high draft picks and that's it.

eclecticvalue

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 11:55:09 AM »
Hinkie died for this! http://www.espn.com/nba/standings
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 11:59:26 AM by eclecticvalue »

winjitsu

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2018, 01:18:22 PM »
Hinkie died for this! http://www.espn.com/nba/standings

Literally texted my friend yesterday saying that Hinkie is probably the best GM in the past 5 years. Wish more teams had the same long-term vision that he did. Looking specifically at knicks and nets.

bizaro86

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2018, 02:45:45 PM »
He may not have won many games but he invested in his teams future. He left the team loaded with draft picks. He may or may not have been successful in the long run, but I respect what he was trying to accomplish, I see a turnaround in the near future.

1st round pick 76ers or Kings (Sixers get better of their own pick or Kings pick, assuming Kings pick falls in top-10).
1st round pick Lakers (unless it falls in the top 3)
1st round pick Heat (unless it falls in the top 10. Can swap with GSW if GSW pick is better)
1st round pick Thunder (unless it falls in top 15. Can swap with GSW if GSW pick is better)
1st round pick 76ers or Kings (Sixers get better of their own pick or Kings pick).
1st round pick 76ers
1st round pick Kings (top-10 protected, has to be 2 years after Kings pick to Chicago conveys)
2nd round pick 76ers
2nd round pick Nets or Cavs (whichever is better)
2nd round pick Clippers or Knicks (whichever is better)
1st round pick 76ers
2nd round pick 76ers
2nd round pick Bucks or Kings (whichever is better)
2nd round pick Knicks
1st round pick 76ers
2nd round pick 76ers
2nd round pick Nets
2nd round pick Knicks
1st round pick 76ers
2nd round pick 76ers
2nd round pick Knicks

Thanks for sharing this data.  To use this data in a business context. This company( team) has a lot of assets that aren't earning a return. A activist would salivate to take control of this company and increase the earning power of the business. So this company (team) is a cigar butt. Time is its enemy.

Except the assets that aren't earning have a hard catalyst (the draft) when they will convert into valuable players.

I think a better analogy is a company that had done a bunch of capital spending on something (new plant, real estate development whatever) that hasn't started earning yet.

Gamecock-YT

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2018, 03:42:18 PM »
I wish the hornets would have hired him. They need a good rebuild ASAP.

HJ

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2018, 11:08:12 AM »
Here's a nice interview for all you fans.  After listening to it, I'm a convert.

http://investorfieldguide.com/hinkie/

Patmo

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2018, 08:49:12 PM »
He may not have won many games but he invested in his teams future. He left the team loaded with draft picks. He may or may not have been successful in the long run, but I respect what he was trying to accomplish, I see a turnaround in the near future.

1st round pick 76ers or Kings (Sixers get better of their own pick or Kings pick, assuming Kings pick falls in top-10).
1st round pick Lakers (unless it falls in the top 3)
1st round pick Heat (unless it falls in the top 10. Can swap with GSW if GSW pick is better)
1st round pick Thunder (unless it falls in top 15. Can swap with GSW if GSW pick is better)
1st round pick 76ers or Kings (Sixers get better of their own pick or Kings pick).
1st round pick 76ers
1st round pick Kings (top-10 protected, has to be 2 years after Kings pick to Chicago conveys)
2nd round pick 76ers
2nd round pick Nets or Cavs (whichever is better)
2nd round pick Clippers or Knicks (whichever is better)
1st round pick 76ers
2nd round pick 76ers
2nd round pick Bucks or Kings (whichever is better)
2nd round pick Knicks
1st round pick 76ers
2nd round pick 76ers
2nd round pick Nets
2nd round pick Knicks
1st round pick 76ers
2nd round pick 76ers
2nd round pick Knicks

Thanks for sharing this data.  To use this data in a business context. This company( team) has a lot of assets that aren't earning a return. A activist would salivate to take control of this company and increase the earning power of the business. So this company (team) is a cigar butt. Time is its enemy.

Except the assets that aren't earning have a hard catalyst (the draft) when they will convert into valuable players.

I think a better analogy is a company that had done a bunch of capital spending on something (new plant, real estate development whatever) that hasn't started earning yet.

Yeah, complete opposite of a cigar butt...