seeking alpha pro is getting annoying

muscleman

http://www.cornerofberkshireandfairfax.ca/forum/general-discussion/seekingalpha-turns-evil/msg327744/#msg327744

More and more articles require pro membership even though they are not pro articles.

https://seekingalpha.com/author/five-minute-stocks/articles#regular_articles

This one for example. The left side shows that pro articles are 0, but when I click into any of them, it says continue reading with a pro free trial.  :(

ABDC.

Always be deleting cookies (and not signing in). Also hit escape before page loads fully. You can sneak into some articles this way.

SA does some specific micro-targeting where they have offered me different rates for SA Pro and after I trialed pro earlier this year, they tried to get me to pay like $800 a year for access to regular articles.

They abuse cookies like no other. I would be OK if everyone paid the same amount, but their price discrimination is nuts and seems unfair. I'd be OK paying a certain amount knowing everyone else was paying that amount.

What I find interesting is a lot of articles are free when they're first published then become subscription only a few weeks later. So you can at one point as a free user be following the article and the author's response to comments and the discussion on it, then be completely locked out even if you were participating in said discussion. It's also funny how there's no distinction in terms of quality on what articles become pro or not, some of those I've seen that start free and then become pro-only are little more than a rehash of the company's corporate presentation with little to no analysis done. Oh well, their platform, their rules.

I think their current strategy is basically to put everything older than 1 or 2 weeks behind the paywall. It used to be that they only put the "high-quality" articles that were selected as pro behind the paywall. But I sort of understand the change, and think it's a smart move. Most of the value that I got from SA was looking at a company I didn't know, and read some old articles to sort of get an idea what's going on with a company. Most of their old pro stuff was never very compelling IMO.