So fed up

Cardboard

Who gives a $#*@?

Something about jealousy being the most boring of the sins.

Not the most boring, but the least enjoyable.  Why?  Because you feel bad about yourself that you are jealous and it doesn't make you feel any better like gluttony or adultery...at least there is some pleasurable aspect in virtually every other sin.  But jealously...you lose both ways! 

Cheers!

It is not jealousy at all. Maybe some envy?

Cardboard

That's a pet peeve of mine when people use "jealous" to mean "envious".  You are jealous of something you have and want to protect, you are envious of something someone else has and you want.

Envy is worse, because it is completely unproductive.  It is prudent to protect what you have to a point, but jealousy can get way out of hand too. Especially if it is another human being you are jealously protecting, because you don't own other human beings.

Whenever I feel a bit envious I find it useful to remind myself that I have it better than the vast majority of humans that have ever lived (billions and billions of them) and it makes being envious feel a little ridiculous.

Whenever I feel a bit envious I find it useful to remind myself that I have it better than the vast majority of humans that have ever lived (billions and billions of them) and it makes being envious feel a little ridiculous.

+10

It's sobering to watch some random news from other parts of the world.  Most people's everyday lives are orders of magnitude more difficult than mine.

of being a poor "relative" piece of shit:

Cardboard

Can't see anything to envy in this video. I prefer having my time to myself, a nice place to ride my bike, and a good book to read. I bet I'm happier than Tom Brady when I do that ;)

of being a poor "relative" piece of shit:

Cardboard

Can't see anything to envy in this video. I prefer having my time to myself, a nice place to ride my bike, and a good book to read. I bet I'm happier than Tom Brady when I do that ;)

I agree 100%.  While I'd love to be as rich as Tom Brady, I'd refuse it absolutely if his fame had to come along with it.  I'd have no problem being insanely rich, but I have no desire to be rich AND famous.  No thanks.  That sounds more like a curse than a blessing.

Never really had any envy for these kind of things...

I want to make 50k€/year on my investments so I can live a relatively luxurious life and never have to work again.

(I'll probably still work, just not have to)

Anything beyond this is not going to provide me with any lasting happiness.

I think that you guys are a little dishonest with yourself.

Have you not ever dreamed of being the best at your sport or craft?

Depending on what it is, fame will follow. It could be more or less depending on the popularity of said activity but, there is no way around it.

It must be a pain at times but, there are many benefits. For Tom for example, I am certain that he walks into almost any restaurant or clothing store and it is on the house.

And if you are fully happy today with what you got, then why do you invest money? Just because you like doing it? Why don't you spend all of your time instead doing what you enjoy best, family, etc.?

Time is our most precious commodity you know and I see money as a tool to get more time. That is the biggest benefit of wealth IMO. Then all the goodies won't necessarily make you happier but, why would they hurt?

Reminds me of old Buffett who used to complain constantly in the 80's about the cost of the private jet owned by Berkshire. Do you hear these complaints today?

Do you also believe that he goes to the worst golf courses to save money? Do you think he hates it when young, good looking female reporters come rubbing him to hear his wisdom?

Cardboard

I'm with you Cardboard.  There have always been a large difference in the lifestyles lived between the upper upper 0.01% (or put whatever cutoff point you want on) and everyone else...but I think social media and youtube has advertised the benefits of that lifestyle on a more widespread basis.  Unless you get to the point where you are a billionaire, you will always have people significantly wealthier than you with significantly better "toys", homes, experiences, lifestyles, etc. 

Depending on what it is, fame will follow. It could be more or less depending on the popularity of said activity but, there is no way around it.

It must be a pain at times but, there are many benefits. For Tom for example, I am certain that he walks into almost any restaurant or clothing store and it is on the house.

And if you are fully happy today with what you got, then why do you invest money? Just because you like doing it? Why don't you spend all of your time instead doing what you enjoy best, family, etc.?

Time is our most precious commodity you know and I see money as a tool to get more time. That is the biggest benefit of wealth IMO. Then all the goodies won't necessarily make you happier but, why would they hurt?

Reminds me of old Buffett who used to complain constantly in the 80's about the cost of the private jet owned by Berkshire. Do you hear these complaints today?

Do you also believe that he goes to the worst golf courses to save money? Do you think he hates it when young, good looking female reporters come rubbing him to hear his wisdom?

Cardboard

It all depends on what you value. My aim as an investor is to beat the market by a large margin, which I have for over 20 years. I don't aim to be famous or seen as a great success like Tom Brady. I would prefer to be anonymous. I already live off my investments, but I would like to have more just for the added security. I would also like to build up tens of millions that I could donate to favourite causes later in life. I don't desire luxuries. I have lived very frugally my entire life and have found that I enjoy simple things that cost little. Investing has always been an interesting challenge and a means to support me beyond all else. I spend about 1 week a month doing investment research and the rest of the time pursuing other interests. If/when I have more money I may choose to go the passive ETF route and retire from active investing so I can devote that 1 week a month to other things.

No I don't want to be the top of the top at my craft. Frankly in most cases I have seen, you need to be born with a generational talent to reach that level. It is not a developed skill.

I'd wager the majority of those in the 0.1% were born there (or somewhere close) vs. developing skill to get there.

But to me none of that matters - you play your cards as well as you can and hope for the best.

Cardboard

There are 1500 billionaires in the world, more than 500 in the US. Can you name them all? 

It is absolutely possible to be super rich without even a fraction of the fame as Tom Brady. It is absolutely possible to have a few hundred million and be practically anonymous.  I’ll pay for my food.

Maybe I'm just an introvert  but I think being Tom Brady level famous would be terrible. Every minute of every day you'd have to be "on" which would get old fast.

I love the wife and kids I have, and have more money than I need. What possible benefit would there be to being famous?

No I don't want to be the top of the top at my craft. Frankly in most cases I have seen, you need to be born with a generational talent to reach that level. It is not a developed skill.

OT? I think that's true for science, arts, sports. I am not sure it is true for business. I am not sure Mark Zuckerberg, Sergey and Larry are somehow generational talent. I think it was more luck (being in the right place at the right time) than generational talent. Bezos maybe. And even there I'm not sure.

Investing too - though perhaps a bit different. Sure there's Buffett and ???, but other than that even people considered the best 100 (or 1000) have rather mediocre long term results.

I'd wager the majority of those in the 0.1% were born there (or somewhere close) vs. developing skill to get there.

Worldwide and US-wide that's true. If you look at smaller pools, it's not that difficult to be in 0.1%.

Maybe I'm just an introvert  but I think being Tom Brady level famous would be terrible. Every minute of every day you'd have to be "on" which would get old fast.

I love the wife and kids I have, and have more money than I need. What possible benefit would there be to being famous?

I agree with what a lot of people have said here. But out of convenience I'm quoting yours post. I'm an introvert as well. Networking sessions make me cringe. So I think being famous and "on" all the time would not be enjoyable at all.

I have way more money than I need. And I get to have that without a bunch of 300 lb dudes wanting to bash my head in on a regular basis. There's nothing that I want that I cannot buy. I'm not at MMM type I get nice things, drive nice cars, etc. Like rkbabang I don't need anyone to comp my meals and my clothes. I have money to buy my own.

The craft thing I get. I have a competitive attitude. That's probably the reason why I continue to work and why I keep trying to learn and get better. I personally cannot understand people who do not work to get better and perfect their craft, whatever that may be. More so when those are people that are not happy where they are in life. This is not limited to just professional activities. One can always become a better parent, lover, friend, spouse, etc.

I'm definitely interested in being the best I can be at my chosen activities. Happily, nothing that I spend time on is likely to end up with me being famous, even if I were to be very very good at it.

For the board, that includes investing.  It seems to me that even if I could generate returns similar to WEBs partnership years for the rest of my life, and while my IBKR balance would be really high, I don't see how that would result in being famous. Unless you started giving interviews or managing public money as long as you stayed below 5% holdings you could stay anonymous.

Definetly want to be the best but that's just my because I enjoy beating others. :)

I'm not fully happy today because I do not have the 50k/y income from investments yet. Though I definetly agree with you, once I do I will retire and spend all my time with family, friends, travelling, playing more sports and video games. I am investing today to get that time.