Author Topic: Solar  (Read 6413 times)

Aberhound

Re: Solar
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2017, 06:46:35 PM »
Instead of investing in solar I would instead start looking at suppliers who will make pulsed DC practical for homeowners. My expectation is that power will be rationed to homeowners so they will have to learn how to use their limited power very efficiently.

It makes little sense to generate DC then convert it to AC then convert it back to DC in the appliances. Houses with solar should be wired so there is an independent DC system and batteries. The AC should be used to charge the batteries. The solar should run the DC systems with the surplus into batteries.

Appliances running directly from DC last much longer.

In particular one company I am watching for is someone to come up with an automatic circuit breaker to disconnect from the grid in the event of any unusual power surge.

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2018, 06:03:25 AM »
Nice table showing the rise of solar PV (and falling costs):

https://www.eia.gov/renewable/monthly/solar_photo/pdf/pv_table3.pdf
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | Watch this, please (new link)

Tompety03

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2018, 10:05:03 PM »
I read comments earlier in the thread about residential solar, so thought I would share out some relevant data if anyone is considering investing in the space. I run a small side business that publishes/sells residential solar data and we just published our Q1-18 report https://www.ohmhomenow.com/residential-solar-market-grows-11-q1-18-marking-first-growth-quarter-since-2016/.

The market fell off in 2017 after the SolarCity acquisition by Tesla, but is starting to grow again. I am not invested in the sector, but Sunrun stands as out as well managed. They have a been using a hybrid model in which they have their own installation crews in some areas but also have a "platform" model that provides sales tools and financing for local installers. Local/regional installers have started to take more share (similar to other contracting sectors - roofing, hvac, remodel, etc.), so Sunrun's platform model has done well and I believe Vivint is now trying to copy that model.

Their CEO is pretty smart - I interviewed there and someone told me that one of her favorite books is Cable Cowboy....

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | Watch this, please (new link)

bizaro86

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2018, 03:26:13 PM »
Instead of investing in solar I would instead start looking at suppliers who will make pulsed DC practical for homeowners. My expectation is that power will be rationed to homeowners so they will have to learn how to use their limited power very efficiently.

It makes little sense to generate DC then convert it to AC then convert it back to DC in the appliances. Houses with solar should be wired so there is an independent DC system and batteries. The AC should be used to charge the batteries. The solar should run the DC systems with the surplus into batteries.

Appliances running directly from DC last much longer.

In particular one company I am watching for is someone to come up with an automatic circuit breaker to disconnect from the grid in the event of any unusual power surge.

Are DC appliances commercially available at reasonable quality/price?

I think it is relatively obvious that DC would be better than AC at this point, but the switching costs would be huge.

I've often thought that a DC solar-battery-electric car system would make sense for my house, and if I could get a few DC appliances (especially dryer/fridge) that would swing me even more.

JRM

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2018, 03:42:21 PM »

Investmentacct

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2018, 06:22:51 PM »
You just can't make this stuff up:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/09/california-approves-plan-to-mandate-solar-panels-on-new-homes.html
. Sure and you wonder this change would be coming out other than California. Sure. New world moves forward. Old world worries about oil prices. It's choices we make create the future, business and money.  You can debate day in day night. EV / Solar theme is real.  Drive in few California cities, or spend few weeks to realize.

Cardboard

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2018, 06:23:05 AM »
California does bring innovation but, it all comes from the private sector and not from the dictatorship in Sacramento.

If solar panels make sense, people will adopt them as cost savings. No need to impose them. When that is done, it is typically some kind of corruption or abuse.

I would think that this will end up in front of the Supreme Court and be taken down. It infringes on individual rights and choices while not doing anything for their safety or otherwise.

On safety, and CO2 if you want, the government over there should focus instead on bush fire prevention, better means to extinguish them or control and not giving constuction permits to build houses into forested areas. Obviously, common sense is something that many lack over there especially those in power.

Cardboard

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2018, 07:41:37 AM »
If catalytic converters in cars were useful, people would just voluntarily add them in as options.

If coal plant particulate scrubbers were useful, coal plant operators should just be left to voluntarily install them.

When you can externalize your costs to the rest of society, life's good.

Defaults matter, all behavioral studies show this.

There are a lot of things that are good for people and that make sense for them but that they don't do because of inertia/ignorance/etc. In think that in a very sunny state, where power is relatively expensive and where solar panels will actually reduce a house's monthly cost of energy by more than it increases the mortgage payments while also providing benefits to society at large, it's not a bad idea to make it a default (with exceptions for when it doesn't make sense). Just like having smoke detectors/banisters on staircases/breakers in the electrical box installed by default in new houses is a good idea even if they make sense and everyone should, in theory, add them in if they were not a default.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 08:34:14 AM by Liberty »

Cardboard

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2018, 09:13:36 AM »
Obviously arguing with you Liberty is and will be a waste of time unfortunately.

Catalytic converters, smoke detectors and other examples you provided do provide immediate and visible benefits to human health and safety while at home solar panels do not.

Regarding solar panels in a sunny state, I would definitely look at them to see if there was a cost advantage for me to produce my own power vs buying from a utility. I find very odd the need to mandate such thing if it is so obvious for people to go that route based on what you mentioned.

You also mentioned that power is expensive in California. Why? Isn't the sun shining as much at the utility plant vs at home? If it is so good, you would think that developers would rush to build solar power plants, use economy of scale and deliver that power at an attractive price point to consumers.

So instead of forcing home owners to purchase and develop their own power system. Is there not something else going on here?

Are they going to mandate people to grow their own vegetables also?

Cardboard