Author Topic: Space X  (Read 63403 times)

JBird

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 525
Woman and wine, games and deceit, make the wealth small and the wants great. - Ben Franklin


yadayada

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2271
Re: Space X
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 03:06:54 AM »
A way to invest in this new possible space race is Gencorp? I was reading about them and saw that they seemed to have 2 competitors. But apparantly these are now all owned by Gencorp :D .

edit: Ok so basicly SpaceX makes their own rocket engines, and is actually a reason to not like Gencorp
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 04:42:08 AM by yadayada »

rkbabang

  • Lifetime Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3809
Re: Space X
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 11:24:36 AM »
Musk Takes On Boeing, Lockheed, GenCorp and the U.S. Air Force

It's hard not to like this guy, he's got chutzpah.

rkbabang

  • Lifetime Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3809
Re: Space X
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 11:37:36 AM »


"Elon Musk appears to have taken to his official Twitter account to accuse a former Air Force official of having "likely" accepted a bribe to grant the exclusive black sat launch contract to United Launch Alliance."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/05/23/musk_air_force_ula_spy_sat_launch_contract/

yadayada

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2271
Re: Space X
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 06:40:28 AM »
http://www.universetoday.com/111534/spacex-ceo-elon-musk-to-unveil-manned-dragon-space-taxi-on-may-29/

Im curious if we will look back on this in 30 years or so like we look back on the internet in the early 90's.

What is actually out there that is really valuable to us if we cheapen spaceflight? If we could launch a decent large sized rocket for very cheap for like 100k, could we set up some sort of space mineral mining project to mine very valuable and rare elements that could be of big use here?

Only other thing I could think of is colonizing and try to create an atmosphere on another planet. But most planets in our solar system dont really seem suited for human life.

Also heard that if we do mining, a moon base could be very handy. Launch costs from a moon base are many times lower and less complicated then from earth because lower gravity. I thin ksomething like 97% of fuel used to go to mars would be to just take off from earth. Remaining 3% gets you to mars.

value-is-what-you-get

  • Lifetime Member
  • Sr. Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 317
Re: Space X
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 07:04:53 AM »
http://www.universetoday.com/111534/spacex-ceo-elon-musk-to-unveil-manned-dragon-space-taxi-on-may-29/

Im curious if we will look back on this in 30 years or so like we look back on the internet in the early 90's.

What is actually out there that is really valuable to us if we cheapen spaceflight? If we could launch a decent large sized rocket for very cheap for like 100k, could we set up some sort of space mineral mining project to mine very valuable and rare elements that could be of big use here?

Only other thing I could think of is colonizing and try to create an atmosphere on another planet. But most planets in our solar system dont really seem suited for human life.

Also heard that if we do mining, a moon base could be very handy. Launch costs from a moon base are many times lower and less complicated then from earth because lower gravity. I thin ksomething like 97% of fuel used to go to mars would be to just take off from earth. Remaining 3% gets you to mars.

The more people that see Earth from space, the better. 
The more we learn there is nothing out there to support our survival anywhere but on Earth, the better. 
We launch people into space but guess what - we are all people in space - existing in a thin film on a blue eyeball we call Earth. 

Here are some first hand observations and quotes on the subject:

http://www.spacequotations.com/earth.html

yadayada

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2271
Re: Space X
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 07:08:49 AM »
http://www.universetoday.com/111534/spacex-ceo-elon-musk-to-unveil-manned-dragon-space-taxi-on-may-29/

Im curious if we will look back on this in 30 years or so like we look back on the internet in the early 90's.

What is actually out there that is really valuable to us if we cheapen spaceflight? If we could launch a decent large sized rocket for very cheap for like 100k, could we set up some sort of space mineral mining project to mine very valuable and rare elements that could be of big use here?

Only other thing I could think of is colonizing and try to create an atmosphere on another planet. But most planets in our solar system dont really seem suited for human life.

Also heard that if we do mining, a moon base could be very handy. Launch costs from a moon base are many times lower and less complicated then from earth because lower gravity. I thin ksomething like 97% of fuel used to go to mars would be to just take off from earth. Remaining 3% gets you to mars.

The more people that see Earth from space, the better. 
The more we learn there is nothing out there to support our survival anywhere but on Earth, the better. 
We launch people into space but guess what - we are all people in space - existing in a thin film on a blue eyeball we call Earth. 

Here are some first hand observations and quotes on the subject:

http://www.spacequotations.com/earth.html
yeah but it will stay expensive for your everyday man. Personally i would pay a lot of money to go to the ISS. I would kill my own mother to go there :D . But most people dont care, and it will stay too expensive untill we get something of value from outside earth, economically.

value-is-what-you-get

  • Lifetime Member
  • Sr. Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 317
Re: Space X
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 07:20:26 AM »
http://www.universetoday.com/111534/spacex-ceo-elon-musk-to-unveil-manned-dragon-space-taxi-on-may-29/

Im curious if we will look back on this in 30 years or so like we look back on the internet in the early 90's.

What is actually out there that is really valuable to us if we cheapen spaceflight? If we could launch a decent large sized rocket for very cheap for like 100k, could we set up some sort of space mineral mining project to mine very valuable and rare elements that could be of big use here?

Only other thing I could think of is colonizing and try to create an atmosphere on another planet. But most planets in our solar system dont really seem suited for human life.

Also heard that if we do mining, a moon base could be very handy. Launch costs from a moon base are many times lower and less complicated then from earth because lower gravity. I thin ksomething like 97% of fuel used to go to mars would be to just take off from earth. Remaining 3% gets you to mars.

The more people that see Earth from space, the better. 
The more we learn there is nothing out there to support our survival anywhere but on Earth, the better. 
We launch people into space but guess what - we are all people in space - existing in a thin film on a blue eyeball we call Earth. 

Here are some first hand observations and quotes on the subject:

http://www.spacequotations.com/earth.html
yeah but it will stay expensive for your everyday man. Personally i would pay a lot of money to go to the ISS. I would kill my own mother to go there :D . But most people dont care, and it will stay too expensive untill we get something of value from outside earth, economically.

It's important only to send up world leaders.  The everyday man will reap the benefits of their adjusted psyche.  Perhaps a prerequisite to assuming power.  Would only require a tiny sliver of the $1.75 Trillion global defence spending budget.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 07:25:08 AM by value-is-what-you-get »

rkbabang

  • Lifetime Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3809
Re: Space X
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 07:34:48 AM »
http://www.universetoday.com/111534/spacex-ceo-elon-musk-to-unveil-manned-dragon-space-taxi-on-may-29/

Im curious if we will look back on this in 30 years or so like we look back on the internet in the early 90's.

What is actually out there that is really valuable to us if we cheapen spaceflight? If we could launch a decent large sized rocket for very cheap for like 100k, could we set up some sort of space mineral mining project to mine very valuable and rare elements that could be of big use here?

Only other thing I could think of is colonizing and try to create an atmosphere on another planet. But most planets in our solar system dont really seem suited for human life.

Also heard that if we do mining, a moon base could be very handy. Launch costs from a moon base are many times lower and less complicated then from earth because lower gravity. I thin ksomething like 97% of fuel used to go to mars would be to just take off from earth. Remaining 3% gets you to mars.

The more people that see Earth from space, the better. 
The more we learn there is nothing out there to support our survival anywhere but on Earth, the better. 
We launch people into space but guess what - we are all people in space - existing in a thin film on a blue eyeball we call Earth. 

Here are some first hand observations and quotes on the subject:

http://www.spacequotations.com/earth.html
yeah but it will stay expensive for your everyday man. Personally i would pay a lot of money to go to the ISS. I would kill my own mother to go there :D . But most people dont care, and it will stay too expensive untill we get something of value from outside earth, economically.

It's important only to send up world leaders.  The everyday man will reap the benefits of their adjusted psyche.  Perhaps a prerequisite to assuming power.  Would only require a tiny sliver of the $1.75 Trillion global defence spending budget.

Only if we keep them all up there and not let them back.  Sounds like a plan.

yadayada

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2271
Re: Space X
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 08:02:34 AM »
hahaha yeah that sounds like a good plan.