Stocks most bought on margin

saltybit

Is there any way to see which stocks have the greatest amount of its float held by owners who bought it on margin?

Not sure how you could measure this, unless an account is solely invested in the security in question. If you've bought five stocks on 50% margin, how would one determine which is their leveraged bet?

all of them?

The OP wants to know how many margin accounts hold the stock (weighted by number of shares of course).

This has some problems associated with it however. What if an account holder doesn't use the margin? Or, take me as an example: I have a margin account, but the amount of margin I actively use is 1-2% at it's peak. Would you consider all the stocks I own bought on margin then? Right now the margin I have active is about 0.2%. Are all my stocks bought on margin?

Is there any way to see which stocks have the greatest amount of its float held by owners who bought it on margin?

Just out of curiosity, why do you ask?  Looking for the next WorldCom?

I was thinking that this can be a proxy for knowing which stocks are held by "weak hands". (lots of forced selling on a big swing downwards)

Just out of curiosity, why do you ask?  Looking for the next WorldCom?

I was thinking that this can be a proxy for knowing which stocks are held by "weak hands". (lots of forced selling on a big swing downwards)

You would need to know whether or not they have hedged the leverage with put options.  The leverage is then non-recourse, and you'll never get the forced selling.