Author Topic: Things Not to Do for 2014  (Read 3255 times)

matjone

Re: Things Not to Do for 2014
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2013, 08:39:38 AM »
I think Kraven must be celebrating Festivus.  This is the traditional airing of grievances.  Next come the feats of strength.

Ross812

• Lifetime Member
  • Switched to Gin this Summer. This one is great!
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2013, 08:48:47 AM »
Making lists that include 2- and sometimes 3- but never ever include item 1-

What kind of text formatting is that? Were you raised by wolves?

+1, I know we have a lot of Canadians on here, but its really hard for my poor brain to follow:

1b, 1c, 2a, 1a, 3b.......... As Charlie says: "I feel like I'm playing battleship." Yeah I'm looking at you Trap. LOL  ;)

6a- Fabricating quotes from full interviews and papers. Summarizing an interview into a quote is not a quote!

-Portfolio-
Bidvest, Altius, LMCA, Lancashire, Kinder Morgan, Air Lease, Fiat, BAC, TJX Co, LKQ, BP, Laurent Perrier, Chef's Warehouse, Willis Group, ASPS

Corner of Berkshire and Fairfax Portfolio:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AivVdWOTQE2JdGQzYkFSQUg2eUR3UVRTcThFYWpBelE#gid=2

Kraven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2013, 09:14:42 AM »
I think Kraven must be celebrating Festivus.  This is the traditional airing of grievances.  Next come the feats of strength.

It is a holiday for the rest of us.
Buy cheap and something good might happen.

yadayada

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2013, 09:28:03 AM »
I have one, discussing crap ideas like JCP to death and giving interesting small cap ideas barely any discussion. Is this parkinsons law at work? I looked up a bunch of these multipage threads, and they mostly didnt perform very well over the past few years. Is it because everyone has an opinion about these things?

Otsog

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2013, 09:44:32 AM »
"Discussions on the internet will always be terrible, LOL"

- Abraham Lincoln

If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

ajc

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2013, 11:29:51 AM »
Thanks for posting Kraven, even if I disagree.

Frankly, I couldn't really give a sh*t about slang here or there. Some jockeying for perceived position  or a bunch of other things mostly.
I'm not advocating chaos of course, but generally speaking the form concerns me far less than the content.
If folks are feeling like they're out of touch, then I think they should be trying to connect and do something about it.

Back to content, and quality of it. If I was going to note a pet peeve, mine would (still) be the tech threads.
Basically, I think you've got a bunch of really smart older(ish) members on there who don't recognize their own limitations.
Yet, because they clearly know more than others about most things they turn the place into a personal territory instead of a genuinely open forum.

To my mind, it's f*cking bullsh*t. These same folks are only now realizing that Amazon and Google are far more than what most people consider them to be, yet we all have to kiss ass because we're the newbie's even though we spotted this stuff fairly long ago.
All I'm saying fundamentally, is that this stuff often cuts both ways.

For the most part, I agree with what's been said on here but WTF - what about quality, and openness and so on.
I think some people's priorities are f*cked up because not only don't they encourage newer members to think and speak openly by crafting well-timed and positioned statements and questions, but they actually stifle real intellectual curiosity with their petty f*cking point-scoring and territorial pissings.
And there are many old dogs who do this, and refuse to learn new tricks. Even if it'll be to both their benefit and ours.

So basically, f*ck all that form over substance bullsh*t. Regardless of age or status.

Rant over...

PS. And thanks to all the old-schoolers on here (even those I have problems with), you make this place what it is. However, please let's not f*cking kid ourselves here and pretend that either of us is better than the other.
Happy holidays. 

Sincerely.

PPS. Besides that aspect, I agree with a lot of what Kraven is pointing out though. I must be getting old.
Also, I'm nowhere near one of the better contributors on here. I'm very much aware of this. However, I also know I'm not completely full of shit.
I think that's worth something, even if it's not a lot. And if all it gets is constant unconstructive criticism and the like, then the pitiful a$$holes that are handing it out are just as much in need of a hard look in the mirror as me (or others).
My nothing's worth.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 11:45:04 AM by ajc »

hyten1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2013, 11:33:01 AM »
i just want to  make money

rkbabang

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2013, 11:37:56 AM »
"Discussions on the internet will always be terrible, LOL"

- Abraham Lincoln

I love that quote. Some of my other favorites are:

"Never trust quotes you see on the internet."
  --Abraham Lincoln

"YOLO"
  --Thomas Jefferson

Mephistopheles

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2013, 11:40:25 AM »
One thing that bothers me, and frankly this happens on all message boards, is when a poster really likes an opinion posted by someone else, perhaps in a heated thread debate, and he quotes that message and replies simply with: "This." I don't mind someone replying with "+1", but "This." is so god damn annoying!

Worlds Within the Margin

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2013, 11:45:47 AM »
One thing that bothers me, and frankly this happens on all message boards, is when a poster really likes an opinion posted by someone else, perhaps in a heated thread debate, and he quotes that message and replies simply with: "This." I don't mind someone replying with "+1", but "This." is so god damn annoying!

A reddit like up vote system would be a nice replacement.
Long: AIG-AWLCF-BP-GS-LUKOY-SPE-AVGR.IL
Short: STPFQ