Author Topic: Top 5 Best Restaurants  (Read 2740 times)

writser

Re: Top 5 Best Restaurants
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 01:20:17 PM »
You guys are a-holes for having this thread.  I'm going to waste so much time on this.

This might be better use of time than some of the investment (??) threads you know.  8)

Yeah, probably true. FWIW I've never been there, but this restaurant in Spain (Asador Etxebarri) where they cook everything on the grill has been on my wish list ever since I read about it.
When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid.

BG2008

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 02:38:30 PM »
You guys are a-holes for having this thread.  I'm going to waste so much time on this.

This might be better use of time than some of the investment (??) threads you know.  8)

Yeah, probably true. FWIW I've never been there, but this restaurant in Spain (Asador Etxebarri) where they cook everything on the grill has been on my wish list ever since I read about it.

Chef's table on Netflix is great.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chef%27s_Table

There is an uncanny similarity between emerging fund managers and those guys profiled.  They are intensely dedicated to their craft.  Their restaurants almost failed before they get their 2/3 stars.  And the 2-3 star restaurants are probably less profitable than I have originally envisioned.   

I particularly self identify with Anexandre Couillon (La Amrine in France).  Couillon means moron in French (turd according to Google translate).  No body cared about his craft for years until a Michelin diner gave him a star.  That obscurity lasted 7 years. 

BG2008

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2018, 02:47:12 PM »
Best restaurant is also situational

There are days when you are just craving for a salty fatty bowl of ramen on a cold winter day
There are days when you are traveling along the east coast and you just want a bowl of mussels and a lobster roll (foie gras doesn't really cut it)
When you want to be dressed up for a special occasion, then yes a 3 Michelin star restaurant experience would be great

There's also the evolution of palates, when I was 18, I have woken up and ate a bloody steak for breakfast.  Basically red meat was a must for lunches and dinners. 

As I have gotten older, I appreciate seafood and vegetables much more.  I also appreciate what goes into a 3 Michelin star restaurant's preparation much more.  When I was 18, I would've said, I still feel hungry after a tasting menu.  At my age today, I would note on how the chef prepared the fish.  Each plate and each bite is the result of a chef's creativity and their execution. 

For those of you that want to follow this more

There's a Netflix documentary called Foodies.  I follow Aiste on Instagram now.  BTW, my admiration for TV chefs have gone way down in the last 10 years. 

Steve Plotnicki has an interesting list for ranking restaurants
Andy Hayler has eaten at all the 3 Michelin star restaurants

thowed

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2018, 02:48:48 PM »
Writser - me too, then I went.  It really is in the middle of nowhere!

I'd love to say it was the best experience of my life... to be honest, the food WAS great, but when I was there, I found the place pretty vibe-less (an occasional danger at high-end places), though not because it was overly-formal, it was just a bit quiet, and the room's pretty plain.  It was a few years ago, so there's probably stuff I've forgotten.  I'm thrilled I've been, so I don't have to wonder, and for bragging rights (!) but as an overall experience it was not the best, you need more than just great food.

Incidentally, presumably because it's such a compelling story, I'm coming across a few more restaurants that are doing the cooking over wood thing.

Overall my feeling about favourite restaurants is what a body-art guy said when asked what their favourite tattoo was.

The next one.

LC

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2018, 03:12:25 PM »
I'll tell you...food is one of my favorite things to spend money on. Cars, clothes, etc...I don't really care. But damn do I love food (this is the fat Italian kid in me talking).

I would say, some of the 3 star spots that have had 3 stars for a while...they can be disappointing. Per Se served me a piece of salmon that may have been a salt lick. After you've gone to the established places, I find there's more joy in checking out 1 or 2 star spots that are fighting for that next star, or places that are working for their first star. IMHO these are the people trying a bit harder and putting out good stuff while being really creative.
"Lethargy bordering on sloth remains the cornerstone of our investment style."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
brk.b | cash

BG2008

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2018, 03:20:44 PM »
I'll tell you...food is one of my favorite things to spend money on. Cars, clothes, etc...I don't really care. But damn do I love food (this is the fat Italian kid in me talking).

I would say, some of the 3 star spots that have had 3 stars for a while...they can be disappointing. Per Se served me a piece of salmon that may have been a salt lick. After you've gone to the established places, I find there's more joy in checking out 1 or 2 star spots that are fighting for that next star, or places that are working for their first star. IMHO these are the people trying a bit harder and putting out good stuff while being really creative.

So what are those 1 and 2 stars that are fighting for their stars?

LC

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2018, 03:43:06 PM »
You're in NYC right? Jungsik, Junoon, Blue Hill/Stone Barns, Dovetail were all really good IMO. Jungsik was especially good I thought. Aska I wasn't totally crazy about. Want to try Aquavit. Always helps chatting up the som or bartender, you can get some industry recommendations that are usually good.
"Lethargy bordering on sloth remains the cornerstone of our investment style."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
brk.b | cash

EdWatchesBoxing

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2018, 04:15:37 PM »
The Keg is a luxurious enough experience for me. That's fine dining for me. I like to think that I am getting back a little of what I pay for as an FFH shareholder :)

Gregmal

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2018, 05:09:16 PM »
Haven't been there in a while but Southern Hospitality in NYC was always a favorite. Hunt & Fish Club is my wife's favorite; food is great, the atmosphere is cool and you always run into famous people. I'm a burger and Bud Lite guy though so not my first choice. Never had a bad time though.