Author Topic: What "tells" do you notice about people?  (Read 2469 times)

LongHaul

What "tells" do you notice about people?
« on: August 07, 2018, 09:35:47 AM »
I would be very curious what "tells" people have noticed which usually correlate to certain character traits?

One that I heard recently was when someone uses the word I to describe something that a group of people did it  usually means the person has a big ego. 

Another is if someone treats waiters and others who can really do nothing for them like crap - they are probably not a very nice person to deal with.

undervalued

Re: What "tells" do you notice about people?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 09:59:15 AM »
if someone rich, grab a HANDFUL Sweet N Low on their way out of restaurant, they probably swindles people's money.

source - https://www.forbes.com/sites/danalexander/2018/08/06/new-details-about-wilbur-rosss-businesses-point-to-pattern-of-grifting/
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers

augustabound

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 10:05:38 AM »
One that I heard recently was when someone uses the word I to describe something that a group of people did it  usually means the person has a big ego. 

I've worked with many people who says "I" with regards to the business.  I'm out of stock on this.  My display case, my kitchen, my boardroom, my secretary etc. when the entire business shares these or an owner owns them.

Funny, when I typed "my display case", I saw big Hoss from Pawn Stars in my head. He routinely uses I or my when he speaks of the business his dad and grandfather co-own (they mentioned one time grandpa owns 51% and dad owns 49%, 0 for Hoss until he inherits it).  And his ego is as big as he is....
"Serenity now, insanity later." - Lloyd Braun

Og

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 10:57:43 AM »
How emotionally immature someone is/dead at the wheel so to speak. The more one gets threatened by conversations around possibility OR the more feeds into survival and scarcity conversations. It becomes a self-selecting mechanism in creating incredibly powerful environments as people stuck in scarcity simply weed themselves out. Falls under the principle: "set the conditions, see who shows up to the party". In this case, create a conversation and see who engages and see who gets threatened and walks away. Simple.

rkbabang

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 11:35:57 AM »
if someone rich, grab a HANDFUL Sweet N Low on their way out of restaurant, they probably swindles people's money.

source - https://www.forbes.com/sites/danalexander/2018/08/06/new-details-about-wilbur-rosss-businesses-point-to-pattern-of-grifting/

LOL.  If someone who isn't rich does this you probably just saw my grandmother.

LC

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 12:13:50 PM »

LOL.  If someone who isn't rich does this you probably just saw my grandmother.

Hahaha  ;D
"Lethargy bordering on sloth remains the cornerstone of our investment style."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
brk.b | cash

DocSnowball

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 05:58:51 PM »
If they say ‘to be honest’ it’s a tell they are not always honest

BG2008

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 11:16:12 PM »
Jay Z is known to extract everything he knows from his mentors and then disregard them and move on.  He's done it a few times.  I've known some talented people like that in the investment business.  If you're discussing possibly giving them money to manage, just keep in mind that they may see you as a stepping stone as well. 

People who have no moral qualms about stealing stuff, forks, plates, etc from fast food joints/restaurants.  Stealing is stealing whether it's $5mm or $5 plate from a restaurant.  It is not yours. 

If you're renting a house/apartment to someone and they say they will be back with the deposit.  if they don't show, don't give a second chance unless something really extraordinary happened like a car accident.  They are already telling how they will be as a tenant, unreliable.   

A girl who had one asshole boyfriend maybe unlucky. A Girl who has had two asshole boyfriends may or may not have bad luck.  A girl who has had three asshole boyfriends or more is actively looking for asshole boyfriends.  She's not looking for the nice guy who is going to care and provide for her.   

People who are so philosophical that they refuse the social norms, such as chipping in $10-20 for a pizza dinner.  Because they are so technological progressive and the reason being cash is stupid.  Everyone should pay with digital.  My view is "F*)* your philosophy, throw in a few bucks and be nice."  If you can't be nice, you're likely too Sheldon Cooper for my taste.   

If your girlfriend/wife cheats once, she'll do it again.  I had to explain this concept to a fund manager once.  He was involved in a situation where he lied to by CEO once already (assets transfered out of the company).  He quoted some book that he read about China.  I told him that's the same as your girlfriend cheating on you once.  He insisted he won't be wronged again. 

People post non-stop on Facebook with memes cannot objectively assess a situation. 

If it's never their fault, never become acquainted with them. 

If someone has to win every argument, they've got a big ego.  If you say "fine, you win.  I do not want to argue or fight." and you see the excitement drain from their face.  They are not worth your aggravation.  The fight and the argument is the glue of your relationship.  Unless you want to bath in that toxicity, you're better off ending it. 

Saying I'm sorry, I messed up, I was wrong, and then correcting their behavior are great traits.   

alwaysinvert

• Lifetime Member
    • värdeinvesteraren
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2018, 04:01:21 AM »
If someone counters a trend or statistic or general statement with a personal anecdote "debunking" it they can not be reasoned with.

LC

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2018, 05:13:59 PM »
If someone counters a trend or statistic or general statement with a personal anecdote "debunking" it they can not be reasoned with.

I hear where you're coming from, but sometimes this just isn't right. Maybe not "debunking" - but sometimes an anecdote tells the full story. Statistics and historical data can tell you some things, but a story can tell you a lot more and in a way you can understand the underlying reasons.

I'll give you an example: people on this website talk about brands and brand power and all that Coke Charlie Munger stuff. Take Disney. You can look at the financials, and say, "wow they've got a real strong business - strong brand". But you don't really know why. This is where an anecdote helps. You read something like this (https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/5h7gq8/i_was_goofy_at_walt_disney_world_for_over_20/day38fu/) and you suddenly know exactly WHY Disney has a brand and a great business.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 05:16:34 PM by LC »
"Lethargy bordering on sloth remains the cornerstone of our investment style."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
brk.b | cash