Author Topic: What are you buying today?  (Read 772448 times)

SafetyinNumbers

Re: What are you buying today?
« Reply #2610 on: November 27, 2017, 11:46:11 AM »
Bought a little more ELF.TO.

ELF IAM GCM.DB.U/DB.V/DB.X PIF C.N

John Hjorth

« Reply #2611 on: November 27, 2017, 12:49:07 PM »
Gazprom (OGZPY)
I think political and associated "klepto" risks are  more than reflected in the very cheap price. While this could have some really nasty surprises, it also has multibagger potential. The ~6% dividend shows at least some shareholder consideration.  About a 2.5% position.

I've been sitting on this damn thing for more than five years now. [very small position]. I suppose TwoCitiesCapital does, too. Waiting for the gas to flow into China in 2018. We should discuss it more in depth in its separate topic in the Investment Ideas forum.
”In the race of excellence … there is no finish line.”
-HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and Ruler of Dubai

sarganaga

« Reply #2612 on: November 27, 2017, 01:07:03 PM »
Gazprom (OGZPY)
I think political and associated "klepto" risks are  more than reflected in the very cheap price. While this could have some really nasty surprises, it also has multibagger potential. The ~6% dividend shows at least some shareholder consideration.  About a 2.5% position.

I've been sitting on this damn thing for more than five years now. [very small position]. I suppose TwoCitiesCapital does, too. Waiting for the gas to flow into China in 2018. We should discuss it more in depth in its separate topic in the Investment Ideas forum.

Great idea

EricSchleien1

« Reply #2613 on: November 27, 2017, 06:08:51 PM »
Increased position in Liberty Braves & Liberty SiriusXM today

DooDiligence

• ♪ 🎶 ♫ ♪ 🎶 ♫
« Reply #2614 on: December 01, 2017, 12:39:23 PM »
BRK.B

I've actually paid a little bit more every month for the past 4 months now.

Anyone else who's dollar cost averaging into Berkshire should do it on the 15th of every month as it seems to always go down in the subsequent weeks after I add & then it rises to new highs again as we approach the 1st of the next month ;)

(Disclaimer: Whoever doesn't know to ignore my advice is in pretty sad shape.)
abc | abev | aapl | bbh | brk.b | cri | cvs | dva | dis | ew | ffxdf | gpc | mo | nvo | sftby | vde

8 months left in the BRK.B 1st of the month DCA program (hoping 4 a selloff 2 go all in!)

-----

https://twitter.com/tunawish

longinvestor

• Lifetime Member
  • Never interrupt compounding unnecessarily -Munger
« Reply #2615 on: December 02, 2017, 01:29:11 AM »
BRK.B

I've actually paid a little bit more every month for the past 4 months now.

Anyone else who's dollar cost averaging into Berkshire should do it on the 15th of every month as it seems to always go down in the subsequent weeks after I add & then it rises to new highs again as we approach the 1st of the next month ;)

(Disclaimer: Whoever doesn't know to ignore my advice is in pretty sad shape.)
Good show. I've been trying to get greedy(cute as well) and missing buying opportunities. The best price to buy is the current price. As long as the stock is selling below IV.

John Hjorth

« Reply #2616 on: December 02, 2017, 05:13:24 AM »
It's good humor, DooDiligence,

A few years from now you will be able to look back at this post of yours and at that future point in time think that what mattered was that you actually bought in stead of staying on the sideline. Because longinvestor is right:

...The best price to buy is the current price. As long as the stock is selling below IV.

It's a hedge against bad things happening to you in the future. [Falling in love again etc.]
”In the race of excellence … there is no finish line.”
-HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and Ruler of Dubai

DooDiligence

• ♪ 🎶 ♫ ♪ 🎶 ♫
« Reply #2617 on: December 02, 2017, 08:53:52 AM »
Yep to you both!

Oddly enuf I'm up 3.something% on the ownership stake (meaningless stat.)

It's truly the ONLY company I feel totally comfortable doing this with.

Market cap < replacement value

---

Quick question; does the capital structure serve to hold TBV in this ridiculously low range?
abc | abev | aapl | bbh | brk.b | cri | cvs | dva | dis | ew | ffxdf | gpc | mo | nvo | sftby | vde

8 months left in the BRK.B 1st of the month DCA program (hoping 4 a selloff 2 go all in!)

-----

globalfinancepartners

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2618 on: December 02, 2017, 09:00:54 AM »
By "TBV" are you referring to tangible book value?  Or just book value / shareholder equity?

Book Value is what it is because of huge liabilities he calls insurance 'float'.  Most people think it has some value greater than negative $113 Billion.

Tangible book value is lower still because of huge sums of goodwill and intangible assets that result from buying high quality companies in their entirety at prices higher than their identifiable tangible assets.  You know, their durable competitive advantage, market position, trade names, etc etc etc

Unless it starts to look like Berkshire develops a reputation for overpaying for acquisitions, tangible book value doesn't have a lot of utility for a company like BRK.

Yep to you both!

---

Quick question; does the capital structure serve to hold TBV in this ridiculously low range?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 09:03:11 AM by globalfinancepartners »

DooDiligence

• ♪ 🎶 ♫ ♪ 🎶 ♫
« Reply #2619 on: December 02, 2017, 09:28:18 AM »
By "TBV" are you referring to tangible book value?  Or just book value / shareholder equity?

Book Value is what it is because of huge liabilities he calls insurance 'float'.  Most people think it has some value greater than negative $113 Billion.

Tangible book value is lower still because of huge sums of goodwill and intangible assets that result from buying high quality companies in their entirety at prices higher than their identifiable tangible assets.  You know, their durable competitive advantage, market position, trade names, etc etc etc

Unless it starts to look like Berkshire develops a reputation for overpaying for acquisitions, tangible book value doesn't have a lot of utility for a company like BRK.

Yep to you both!

---

Thanks 4 pointing out the diffs (I should not have even said T or BV.)

I've got this thing stuck in my head about looking at the market cap of a company & comparing it to the cost of replicating the business & was simply confusing myself by adding BV to the thought process (that's for companies that might go bankrupt right?)

Probably shouldn't go there since I'd be relying on the calculations of others regarding replacement value.

---

Old hat for u & most here but:

https://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/12/12/understanding-the-true-value-of-warren-buffetts-be.aspx

---

As to why the market cap is what it is; does the base of "A" shares keep the valuation stable?
I understand that the "B" shares were largely created for gifting purposes?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 09:35:49 AM by DooDiligence »

-----