Author Topic: What are you buying today?  (Read 892539 times)

james22

Re: What are you buying today?
« Reply #2650 on: December 20, 2017, 01:26:42 PM »
White Mountain (WTM) @ $850

frommi

james22

« Reply #2652 on: December 25, 2017, 07:04:24 AM »
Vanguard's REIT index fund (VGSNX).

Og

« Reply #2653 on: December 26, 2017, 09:55:04 PM »
Sold 85% of my MKL today and bought more BAM.

Nice! Sold MKL the same day. Also own BAM & PVI ;)

investmd

« Reply #2654 on: December 27, 2017, 06:26:16 AM »

Rkbabang & EricSchleien1:
I like BAM for their management, alternative investments, and ability to deploy capital wisely during downturns. Plus, am able to buy in C$s. I too have been adding to BAM recently, while continuing to hold previous investments in BIP (Brookfield Infrastructure) and BEP (Brookfield Alt Energy). Also adding to recent Brookfield spinoff : TSU - Trisura. So overall I'm bullish on Brookfield.

My question is why are both of you selling MKL? I bought into MKL a year ago with the idea of it being a BRK like stock that could be held for a long time/forever. After a 25% gain in past 12 months, are you finding it overvalued? Has there been a structural change at the company that caused both of you to get out?

Thanks,

rkbabang

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2655 on: December 27, 2017, 06:56:31 AM »

I like BAM for their management, alternative investments, and ability to deploy capital wisely during downturns. Plus, am able to buy in C$s. I too have been adding to BAM recently, while continuing to hold previous investments in BIP (Brookfield Infrastructure) and BEP (Brookfield Alt Energy). Also adding to recent Brookfield spinoff : TSU - Trisura. So overall I'm bullish on Brookfield.

My question is why are both of you selling MKL? I bought into MKL a year ago with the idea of it being a BRK like stock that could be held for a long time/forever. After a 25% gain in past 12 months, are you finding it overvalued? Has there been a structural change at the company that caused both of you to get out?

Thanks,

For me it is that it isn’t cheap anymore like it was a year ago, I was way overweight in MKL, I now think BAM is a better bet long term, and, finally, I did this in my IRA so there were no tax considerations in making the reallocation.

John Hjorth

« Reply #2656 on: December 27, 2017, 10:31:04 AM »
AMAT [Applied Materials Inc.]
IRDM [Iridium Communications Inc.]

[Micro positions/trackers - only in my PA, not for any other family members.]
”In the race of excellence … there is no finish line.”
-HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and Ruler of Dubai

Og

« Reply #2657 on: December 27, 2017, 10:35:09 AM »

Thanks,

I have more ideas than capital. Markel is a bit too pricey to me at these levels. Re-allocated into other positions which are more undervalued IMO.

DooDiligence

• ♪ 🎶 ♫ ♪ 🎶 ♫
« Reply #2658 on: December 29, 2017, 07:28:51 AM »
More BRK.B

I bought today since the markets will be closed on the 1st & I expect we'll never see sub $200 again.
(even so, the bargain hunter in me is filled with cogbias & thus, I'll continue thumb sucking & averaging up while pining for a crash.)
abc 2.6 | abev 1.6 | aapl 0.9 | bbh 3.3 | brk.b 7.5 | cvs 5.6 | dva 5.5 | dis 4.1 | ew 2.1 | gpc 2.8 | mo 5.2 | nvo 5.1 | sftby 2.3 | vde 4.2

(%'s held at cost, present value allos are slightly to significantly higher. includes a slowly dwindling cash pile.)

-----

https://twitter.com/tunawish

cubsfan

« Reply #2659 on: December 29, 2017, 07:39:49 AM »
Allergan - AGN