Author Topic: What are you buying today?  (Read 977948 times)

Mondegreen

Re: What are you buying today?
« Reply #3090 on: June 20, 2018, 03:40:38 AM »
Hi SafetyinNumbers,

I don't suppose you could elaborate on managements confidence regarding the impairment of their asset?

My thinking is along the same lines, but it would be interesting to hear their view and I can't find anything on the website?

Thanks,
Mondegreen

John Hjorth

« Reply #3091 on: June 20, 2018, 04:06:58 AM »
Thank you very much for the meticulous elaboration of your considerations and your explanation of the inner mechanics of the UK ISA account, Dynamic.

After understanding correctly how the ISA account works [I have misunderstood that untill reading your explanation [- ISA contributions are after income tax]], your considerations make perfect sense to me.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 04:16:07 AM by John Hjorth »
”In the race of excellence … there is no finish line.”
-HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and Ruler of Dubai

SafetyinNumbers

« Reply #3092 on: June 20, 2018, 04:15:37 AM »
Hi SafetyinNumbers,

I don't suppose you could elaborate on managements confidence regarding the impairment of their asset?

My thinking is along the same lines, but it would be interesting to hear their view and I can't find anything on the website?

Thanks,
Mondegreen

The only thing they have said publicly about the problems in Nicaragua were at the AGM as far as I know. It’s a sensible strategy as no one knows who is going to end up being in charge in the long run.

Management indicated they are unaware of any power assets that have been nationalized and they do not expect this to happen. Unlike other resources, like gold and oil where stuff is taken out of the ground and sold outside of the country, all of PIF’s power is sold in country and mostly to retail buyers.

If anything, the political changes indicate a push to more centre right policies from leftist policies which may end up being constructive for the country.

They are obviously biased but I think their conclusions follow logically from the fact set that we can see looking in.

The CEO said he would buy stock if he wasn’t restricted and I believe him.
Top 5 positions: ELF IAM GCM.NT/GCM PIF EFR.DB

TwoCitiesCapital

« Reply #3093 on: June 20, 2018, 01:41:56 PM »
Selling Fairfax to purchase others on weakness:

1) Altius
2) Santander and subs
3) More Brazil exposure

rolling

« Reply #3094 on: June 21, 2018, 01:58:18 PM »
Brk-b. Decided to add some diversification and downside protection while maintaining liquidity (other positions are of very low to very very low liquidity). Small position at just 8-9%.

Price as dropped quite a bit (less in euro) but earnings have been retained, so I don't see that much downside in USD. €/USD evolution is for others to guess but my bet is that it will either reduce my losses or reduce my gains.
My usual portfolio: Highly concentrated (up to 3 or 4 positions) in smallcaps and microcaps.

boilermaker75

« Reply #3095 on: June 23, 2018, 09:29:46 PM »
Assigned some BRKB this weekend, at a basis of $188.40 per share.

bennycx

« Reply #3096 on: June 23, 2018, 10:26:27 PM »
AXP (largest position)

Spekulatius

« Reply #3097 on: June 24, 2018, 05:57:03 AM »
Selling Fairfax to purchase others on weakness:

1) Altius
2) Santander and subs
3) More Brazil exposure

Which Santander subs are you looking at?
To be a realist, one has to believe in miracles.

thekiefs

« Reply #3098 on: June 25, 2018, 12:35:26 PM »
BRK.B @ 185.5. Almost bottom-ticked it. Close to a 10% position.

rb

« Reply #3099 on: June 25, 2018, 12:39:13 PM »
H.TO, BRK.B, AAPL