Author Topic: What are you buying today?  (Read 1347190 times)

Spekulatius

Re: What are you buying today?
« Reply #3880 on: June 13, 2019, 03:56:29 AM »
Seems like PG&E's plan to cut power to people who can afford standby generators on windy days ought to give GNRC more than the usual post-hurricane boost in sales.  I've been a long term holder of a very small position.  It definitely trades on weather news a lot of the time.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-06-08/pg-e-cutting-power-in-california-s-wine-country-to-prevent-fires?srnd=premium

Bought a little bit of GNRC. I might get this one cheaper , but I like the sector and the brand equity. I also believe this sector has secular growth, even though near term results can vary, based on weather patterns.

I didn’t think of this angle and sold my few shares recently. Worked out OK. I keep this on my watch list , as I think it’s a secular growth play.
To be a realist, one has to believe in miracles.

Gregmal

« Reply #3881 on: June 13, 2019, 05:42:41 AM »
MSGN.

BG2008

« Reply #3882 on: June 13, 2019, 07:30:34 AM »
GRIF, made it a mid teen's position

LC

« Reply #3883 on: June 13, 2019, 12:34:57 PM »
sold TFSL, RELX, DIS, bought some freaking Visa (not with all the proceeds, just a tiny position)  :o :o
"Lethargy bordering on sloth remains the cornerstone of our investment style."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
brk.b | irm | mo | nlsn | pm | tap | v | vz | wm

porcupine

• Low Tide Investments
« Reply #3884 on: June 19, 2019, 06:29:13 PM »
KTB

"Cowboy hat from Gucci, Wrangler on my booty."  I need to read that S-1, but I am lazy AF.

Posted a deep dive on this yesterday:

https://lowtideinvestments.com/2019/06/18/kontoor-brands/
“Successful investing is having everyone agree with you — later.” –Joe Robillard

www.lowtideinvestments.com

@lowtideinvest on Twitter

Gregmal

« Reply #3885 on: June 20, 2019, 10:17:49 AM »
CVS and MSG

CorpRaider

• The Corpraider
« Reply #3886 on: June 20, 2019, 11:08:39 AM »
KTB

"Cowboy hat from Gucci, Wrangler on my booty."  I need to read that S-1, but I am lazy AF.

Enjoyed reading that.  Thanks for sharing.  I suppose my similar, sort of opportunity cost for a KTB position might be CPRI or TPR.

Foreign Tuffett

« Reply #3887 on: June 20, 2019, 03:10:36 PM »
KTB

Enjoyed reading that.  Thanks for sharing.  I suppose my similar, sort of opportunity cost for a KTB position might be CPRI or TPR.

Thank you for sharing your research. I have been working on KTB as well.

I was far from impressed with the Q1 results KTB released today. Not a total surprise that Q1 was weak though, since VF's Q1 earnings still included Kontoor.

Spekulatius

« Reply #3888 on: June 20, 2019, 03:52:14 PM »
KTB

Yes, KTB’s results were weak, a continuation of trends that  have been persistent since at lest 2014.

Thank you for sharing your research. I have been working on KTB as well.

I was far from impressed with the Q1 results KTB released today. Not a total surprise that Q1 was weak though, since VF's Q1 earnings still included Kontoor.

I have looked quite a bit into this stock too, as it indeed looks cheap. I have decided against investing for a simple qualitative reason: If a very smart management team like VFC can’t fix KTB, what makes us think that standalone company can do better? This was not a business that was badly managed, imo. It is a business that even a very strong management team decided to get rid off. I don’t think I am smart enough to go against their judgement and it is quite likely that this business will continue to struggle. I would be more inclined to invest in KTB, if I consider VFC’s management subpar, but that far from being the case, imo.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 05:14:11 PM by Spekulatius »
To be a realist, one has to believe in miracles.

alpha

« Reply #3889 on: June 21, 2019, 09:54:26 PM »
Started small position in DF @ 1.01 ... looks like someone else had the same idea ;D