Author Topic: What are you buying today?  (Read 1383228 times)

LC

Re: What are you buying today?
« Reply #4150 on: August 30, 2019, 09:25:46 AM »
Short term you may see more pressure on PM/MO due to vaping:

https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/addiction/news/20190826/as-vaping-injuries-grow-doctors-seek-answers

The adult from Illinois who died is among 193 potential cases in 22 states of people hospitalized for the lung injuries, the CDC said last week.

Doctors say they are seeing injuries ranging from severe inflammation -- also called pneumonitis -- to bleeding in the lungs. “Injuries varied, with most including inflammation in the lining of the airway and some even have bleeding in their lungs,” said Louella Amos, MD, a pediatric pulmonologist at Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, who has treated some of the patients involved.

No cause has yet been identified, but a common thread joins each of the patients: All of them vaped.

"Lethargy bordering on sloth remains the cornerstone of our investment style."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
brk.b | irm | mo | nlsn | pm | tap | v | vz | wm

no_free_lunch

« Reply #4151 on: August 30, 2019, 11:19:54 AM »
There is always something like this going on with these companies, it never ends.

In the short-term you are getting a 7.3% dividend, which is covered with no issues.

Maybe they shut down vaping or maybe there is some adjustment to make it safer.  If they shut it down, kids just start smoking again.  I don't know how it all plays out but I am telling you, they are always, always under attack.  They just keep making money in the meanwhile.

For me, it's more an ethical issue.  Do I really want to be investing in tobacco companies?  I actually struggle with that more than the investment merits (not that it's a perfect investment but I am comfortable with the risks).  In the very short-term I have overcome my ethical concerns.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 11:22:12 AM by no_free_lunch »

LC

« Reply #4152 on: August 30, 2019, 11:38:40 AM »
So I very much agree with you, in fact particularly so on the ethical roadblock (vs the actual investment thesis).

In fact I would prefer if they would give up on the vaping, or at least study it more first. By comparison cigarettes are a known quantity. People have been smoking things for, hell, thousands of years and we have been studying the effects for at least decades. With cigarettes, people are making an honest decision (akin to alcohol).
"Lethargy bordering on sloth remains the cornerstone of our investment style."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
brk.b | irm | mo | nlsn | pm | tap | v | vz | wm

Gregmal

« Reply #4153 on: August 30, 2019, 12:27:50 PM »
Entered the abyss. Bought a little TEVA and ENDP. Looking at a basket approach as it seems everyone thinks this is the end of all of them. Very small spec position.

Gregmal

« Reply #4154 on: September 03, 2019, 10:32:42 AM »
CLF

BG2008

« Reply #4155 on: September 03, 2019, 01:02:28 PM »
Berry

Sold some of my $47.50 puts for $9.25 today (paid $1.90 for them).  In short, I am going long the stock by exiting the puts.  Looking to use the put proceeds to either buy more stock and/or calls.   

frank87

« Reply #4156 on: September 03, 2019, 01:49:02 PM »
Berry

Sold some of my $47.50 puts for $9.25 today (paid $1.90 for them).  In short, I am going long the stock by exiting the puts.  Looking to use the put proceeds to either buy more stock and/or calls.   

Just curious - what was the expiry date on that put?

BG2008

« Reply #4157 on: September 03, 2019, 02:23:21 PM »
Berry

Just curious - what was the expiry date on that put?

Jan 2020 - Not much premium at this point on that put because it is so far in the money

Spekulatius

« Reply #4158 on: September 03, 2019, 03:08:00 PM »
To be a realist, one has to believe in miracles.

Gregmal

« Reply #4159 on: September 03, 2019, 03:22:58 PM »
CLF

Why is the stock down 15% today?

Been on the go today operating from my phone but all I saw was the special dividend and continued plummeting of Iron Ore. Company did ~300M Ebitda at 2015 low prices.... despite the drop from $120-$80 we're still nearly double those levels. Maybe I'm missing something though. Who knows?