Author Topic: What are you buying today?  (Read 979853 times)

zippy1

• Lifetime Member
Re: What are you buying today?
« Reply #2790 on: February 21, 2018, 06:58:08 AM »
Yeah, get me some mobility as a service, so I don't have to park and get me some RFID automatic checkout so I don't have to wait in line to give you money to pay for my items and I could see it actually being pleasurable to shop/taking back share from online.
My understanding is that many traditional Asian department stores are dying and new malls are built as places for having fun/spending time/hanging out with friends instead of just purely "shopping."  These malls seem to do rather well....

BPCAP

« Reply #2791 on: February 21, 2018, 08:45:35 AM »
Asian malls are typically in dense cities, thus they have optionality (they are also loved for the air conditioning).  Mall outlet malls are often on cheap land you have to drive far to get to.

gjangal

« Reply #2792 on: February 22, 2018, 08:29:07 PM »
WBA looks relatively cheap here. I know amazon threat etc, but its a consolidated industry so its hard to predict outcomes. Retail was easy to disrupt because of its fragmented nature

frommi

« Reply #2793 on: March 01, 2018, 09:00:03 AM »
reduced SRG and SRC positions to 5% and sold TYO:7922 after a nice pop this morning.
bought STOR, SPG, BRX, SOHO, EAT and more WSE:SOL.

Invented new rules for position sizing:
3% position will be standard
5% only when the management is shareholder friendly
>5% only when i find an NCAV stock far below net cash or a diversified holding company like BRK or MKL.
>20% never.

longlake95

« Reply #2794 on: March 01, 2018, 10:23:53 AM »
ARNC

spartansaver

« Reply #2795 on: March 02, 2018, 01:32:18 PM »
NRIFF

Sharad

• Blogging About Money
« Reply #2796 on: March 02, 2018, 04:10:38 PM »
MO & BTI
"If we are not able to ask skeptical questions, to interrogate those who tell us that something is true, to be skeptical of those in authority, then we are up for grabs for the next charlatan - political or religious - who comes ambling along."
- Carl Sagan

frommi

« Reply #2797 on: March 05, 2018, 08:56:52 AM »
Covered short call and short put on DERM with a small profit after all volatility was sucked out of the options. In hindsight it would have been better to just use a bear call spread to short it. But damn that vola looked so good, i had to short it too.

John Hjorth

« Reply #2798 on: March 15, 2018, 09:01:59 AM »
It's interesting times ...  - as always!
In the race of excellence there is no finish line.
-HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and Ruler of Dubai

Cigarbutt

« Reply #2799 on: March 15, 2018, 12:45:41 PM »
"It's interesting times ...  - as always!"

In 2017, looked at a few IPOs (in order to discover and learn).
Yes, interesting and...a lot of difficulty integrating the "narrative" into a profitable course.

For perspective:
https://www.topdowncharts.com/single-post/2018/03/14/A-Familiar-if-Ominous-Sign-in-the-US-IPO-Market

Apologies for the "ominious" title as the point of this post is not about predictive power.
Still, this has a "late in the cycle" feel to it and that may explain (?) the lack of enthusiasm on this specific thread.

I have to disclose that many IPOs with negative earnings are from the technology space and this is outside my reach (there may be homeruns in there).
But I can reasonably value biotech and the bridge from the narrative to a profitable exit is really hard to visualize even if you feel that animal spirits are truly getting to work.

Interesting times indeed.