Author Topic: What are you buying today?  (Read 1088372 times)

globalfinancepartners

• Lifetime Member
Re: What are you buying today?
« Reply #3240 on: September 19, 2018, 06:49:15 AM »
Not sure why so many people are buying brk.b - at this point brk is an S&P hugger and they both have the same 1 and 5 year returns. Plus, there's probably downside if WB kicks it.

It seems safe to say in retrospect that June 26th at 186.44 closing price was an attractive buying opportunity for Berkshire.  BRK up 18% since, SPX up 6.75%

We buy when Berkshire gets cheap - because we know how to value it - regardless of the index performance or correlation. 

rogermunibond

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3241 on: September 19, 2018, 07:21:41 AM »
Svenska Handelbanken on sale - anyone buying?

12x and 1.5x is on sale?!

Given their capital cushions and high ROEs, I think so.  They have a M&T vibe in terms of cultivating profitable banking relationships with specific segments - wealthy, business owners, etc.

John Hjorth

« Reply #3242 on: September 19, 2018, 09:18:09 AM »
Given their capital cushions and high ROEs, I think so.  They have a M&T vibe in terms of cultivating profitable banking relationships with specific segments - wealthy, business owners, etc.

CoBF Book Forum topic: A Blueprint for Better Banking: Svenska Handelsbanken - Niels Kroner.

I suppose Pete already owns both the bank and the book.
”In the race of excellence … there is no finish line.”
-HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and Ruler of Dubai

frommi

« Reply #3243 on: September 19, 2018, 01:06:13 PM »
Sold out of PBSV, bought more of D,SPG and IBM. But only because i reached my personal position size limit for KMI, SKT, BTI, PM and MO. I am down to 4% in netnets now and the rest is in defensive dividend growth stocks. I am still hedged with DAX puts and short call spreads on TSLA and NFLX.

John Hjorth

« Reply #3244 on: September 19, 2018, 02:00:47 PM »
Not sure why so many people are buying brk.b - at this point brk is an S&P hugger and they both have the same 1 and 5 year returns. Plus, there's probably downside if WB kicks it.

It seems safe to say in retrospect that June 26th at 186.44 closing price was an attractive buying opportunity for Berkshire.  BRK up 18% since, SPX up 6.75%

We buy when Berkshire gets cheap - because we know how to value it - regardless of the index performance or correlation.

Just soo true. It's extremely cumbersome & boring, occupies a lot time to read everything on the Berkshire forum here on CoBF and to discusss [World's best place to discuss Berkshire, I may add!].

- And still we all have personal opinions about a lot of things absolutely not being somewhere near optimal at Berkshire... I, for one, still can't find a modest praying carpet on the Berkshire Wear website ... [<- J/K]
-HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and Ruler of Dubai

cubsfan

« Reply #3245 on: September 19, 2018, 02:18:08 PM »

Just soo true. It's extremely cumbersome & boring, occupies a lot time to read everything on the Berkshire forum here on CoBF and to discusss [World's best place to discuss Berkshire, I may add!].

- And still we all have personal opinions about a lot of things absolutely not being somewhere near optimal at Berkshire... I, for one, still can't find a modest praying carpet on the Berkshire Wear website ... [<- J/K]

John - the Motley Fool Board on BRK has some outstanding commentary and valuation analysis as well. FYI.

sarganaga

« Reply #3246 on: September 21, 2018, 10:33:07 AM »
Crosstimbers Royalty Trust (CRT)

bargainhunter

« Reply #3247 on: September 21, 2018, 10:56:28 AM »
My recents adds were BLX, CUERVO.MX, TI A and FB.

I own all four of these... do we know each other? ;) BLX in particular very interesting here.

BLX intrigues me. I don't see a thread on the company. What's your 30-second elevator pitch? :) Or can you point me to a decent writeup somewhere?

bizaro86

« Reply #3248 on: September 21, 2018, 11:00:47 AM »
FGE.DB.A

John Hjorth

« Reply #3249 on: September 22, 2018, 03:09:55 AM »
Added a bit to SCHO.CPH & BAM during the week.