Author Topic: What are you buying today?  (Read 1043114 times)

bizaro86

Re: What are you buying today?
« Reply #3250 on: September 21, 2018, 11:00:47 AM »
FGE.DB.A

John Hjorth

« Reply #3251 on: September 22, 2018, 03:09:55 AM »
Added a bit to SCHO.CPH & BAM during the week.
”In the race of excellence … there is no finish line.”
-HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and Ruler of Dubai

cubsfan

« Reply #3252 on: September 22, 2018, 03:40:22 AM »
Added to Metro Bank (MTRO.L) - UK exchange

kab60

« Reply #3253 on: September 22, 2018, 04:07:21 AM »
Hi. I've been looking a bit into that. Seems very interesting. Have you seen a decent writeup anywhere or mind to share a couple of points?

sleepydragon

« Reply #3254 on: September 22, 2018, 04:32:13 AM »
More WFC

John Hjorth

« Reply #3255 on: September 22, 2018, 04:43:35 AM »
kab60,

I suppose Mike has gone to bed now, so I take the freedom to link to Mike's four-liner post about the bank here. Pretty amazing what this bank is pulling off right now, actually.

- - - o 0 o - - -

John - the Motley Fool Board on BRK has some outstanding commentary and valuation analysis as well. FYI.

Thank you, Mike.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 05:04:28 AM by John Hjorth »
”In the race of excellence … there is no finish line.”
-HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and Ruler of Dubai

cubsfan

« Reply #3256 on: September 22, 2018, 05:07:45 AM »
Hi. I've been looking a bit into that. Seems very interesting. Have you seen a decent writeup anywhere or mind to share a couple of points?

If you PM me - I will send you a writeup. I spent 2 days onsite in London in June at the bank.

cubsfan

« Reply #3257 on: September 22, 2018, 05:20:41 AM »

What's obvious is the deposit growth, which is incredible. The culture is based on the Commerce Bank model, that Vernon Hill "invented" in America.
The culture is real - I can tell you that. Both customers and employees love this company. You have 56 "stores" going to 100-130, roughly in 5-6 years.
The "store model" is totally repeatable - and UK will eventually support, perhaps, 200 stores.

There are structural reasons for the growth - by that I mean - the UK banking sector is being forced to shrink (I mean the legacy banks) as the
UK regulators and the public's interests have not been served. (RBS is still 65% owned by gov).  So some assets are being dispersed, the market is opening up, and
legacy branches have closed at a fast rate due to cost cutting and poor locations. So there are significant industry tailwinds for the
growth of "challenger" banks. Metro is the best of them all. It's the fastest growing bank I have ever seen in my life.

cubsfan

« Reply #3258 on: September 22, 2018, 11:13:24 AM »
kab60,

I suppose Mike has gone to bed now, so I take the freedom to link to Mike's four-liner post about the bank here. Pretty amazing what this bank is pulling off right now, actually.

- - - o 0 o - - -

John - the Motley Fool Board on BRK has some outstanding commentary and valuation analysis as well. FYI.

Thank you, Mike.

My pleasure John - thank you!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 11:16:15 AM by cubsfan »

Spekulatius

« Reply #3259 on: September 22, 2018, 11:26:42 AM »
My recents adds were BLX, CUERVO.MX, TI A and FB.

I own all four of these... do we know each other? ;) BLX in particular very interesting here.

BLX intrigues me. I don't see a thread on the company. What's your 30-second elevator pitch? :) Or can you point me to a decent writeup somewhere?

I don’t do elevator pitches :-). There is a good write up in VIC from 2014. The stock is significantly cheaper now in termsmof P/B. The ROA improvements  that the author eluded to never worked out. I have owned this several times in the the past and bought it below tangible book sndmit always worked out.
https://www.valueinvestorsclub.com/idea/BANCO_LATINOAMERICANO_DE_COM/117860

« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 12:33:19 PM by Spekulatius »
To be a realist, one has to believe in miracles.