What are your goals?

CapLab3

I imagine most of you on this forum have some sort of goal in mind related to investing. Are most people here attracted to investing because of monetary incentives (attaining a certain dollar net worth) or because you actually enjoy investing? After a certain point, more wealth will not increase your happiness level so what do you plan on doing after you hit that point?

What kind of goals are you guys trying to achieve in the next 10, 20, or even 50 years?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Investing is definitely a means to an end:

3 homes (city, mountain, beach) and a plane to travel among them. All paid off. And enough cash flow to live modestly, maybe a vacation once or twice/year. At this rate I need about 7-10 years.

Once I hit that, I'll dump the rest into Berkshire and SPY. Life is too short to be looking at stock quotes and 10-Ks.

Hah I think you're blowing it a bit out of proportion. The properties - about 1.5m in total. 100k for a plane. Fly that bird myself :) Not too outrageous compared to folks on this board.

Hah I think you're blowing it a bit out of proportion. The properties - about 1.5m in total. 100k for a plane. Fly that bird myself :) Not too outrageous compared to folks on this board.

Which beach is the question? San Diego area, probably the home itself worth around 1.5m :P

Fair enough. You got me.

I have to admit that if I wanted a plane, I'd want "The Indefencible". Actually even a bit more range than that...

My goal in investing is to compound at >20% (pretax) with max drawdowns of 10%. Over the past 5 years i did 15% with max 10%, so i still have some way to go. My goal has nothing to do with the money, its just that i believe that it is possible and that i want to show to myself that i can do it. Its like playing a game i enjoy most of the time and i will probably always do it, regardless if retired or not.

Since i know i can do at least 10% per year ony my investments money is not the limiting factor in my lifestyle anymore, but i think that 3 homes are something that i will never own, regardless of how much money i have. Why not just use AirBnB and stop working right away if you don`t enjoy it?

i think that 3 homes are something that i will never own, regardless of how much money i have. Why not just use AirBnB

Partially OT.

If someone does a snowbird thing or just plans to live in one place more than couple months a year, AirBnB probably is not great. Also if they want to setup their house/place the way they like with their things/books/etc.

OTOH, IMO upkeep is a hassle and that's why I would not want to have multiple houses and would go with frommi approach.  8)

i think that 3 homes are something that i will never own, regardless of how much money i have. Why not just use AirBnB

Partially OT.

If someone does a snowbird thing or just plans to live in one place more than couple months a year, AirBnB probably is not great. Also if they want to setup their house/place the way they like with their things/books/etc.

OTOH, IMO upkeep is a hassle and that's why I would not want to have multiple houses and would go with frommi approach.  8)

Multiple Condos with once a month maid service  8)

Independence as well. In today's dollars, if I could accumulate a $10m personal portfolio, should easily be able to draw $250-500k in annual pre-tax income depending on portfolio composition. With no debt, that is a very comfortable life in the midwest.

Which beach is the question? San Diego area, probably the home itself worth around 1.5m :P

NW FL has some of the most beautiful sugar white beaches in the world & it's very affordable.

You can get a bangin' beachfront condo for less than a million.

---

Independence to do what I want.

Less stuff to chain me down.

1. See if I can outperform SP500 long term.

2. Learn what makes good/great companies/managements.

3. Invest in interesting companies that make positive contributions to this world. Printing tons of greenbacks is good enough too - most of the time.

4. In terms of financial target, I'm gonna join "independence" train.  8)

Independence.  Quit my day job before I'm too old to enjoy retirement.

House paid off, maybe a condo someplace warm. 

Ability to go on many vacations every year.

I don't have any desire to learn how to fly a plane, and I don't plan to waste a ton of money buying a fractional jet share (even if I could afford it, it seems like a waste), so I'll be happy flying 1st class commercial.

Haha that's true. For now, Florida. I think any further south and it'd be too far to justify frequent trips...at that point might as just stay at hotels as others mentioned.

Intermediate term financial goals:

F.U. money....followed by F.I.

I very much enjoy investing but am fairly skeptical that I can (based on enduring skill) outperform free, systematic, tax efficient exposures, but there may be some behavioral benefits, so I allocate a pretty material percentage of my meager nw to discretionary accounts.

Retire by my mid 40's so I can spend my time working in the ecology sector doing what I enjoy instead of mashing keys all day behind a desk; all without worrying about 100k+ income (preferably make that up in divy's)

Decent house (with a few acres for a vineyard or hops) paid off and maybe 1-2 rental properties probably back near my hometown and family.

Cabin in Montana (With all the fly fishing gear I want)

Sea worthy sailboat (Preferably a Catamaran but I'd settle for less  :P)

Full fledged dedicated woodshop

ability to travel a few times a year (preferably on my sail boat)

Independence and a nest egg for my future kids children.

I'm a simple man, not into cars, clothes, or being in big cities permanently. Guess I'm a bit of an old soul.

Crush my enemies, see them driven before me, and hear the lamentations of their women!

I hate to disappoint you, but I think you're in the wrong profession.

You should take up investment banking instead.

Crush my enemies, see them driven before me, and hear the lamentations of their women!

I hate to disappoint you, but I think you're in the wrong profession.

You should take up investment banking instead.

Sure. Just crush a man's dreams why don't you.