Where Did Jeffrey Epstein Get His Money?

Gregmal

My hunch is that his specialty was "tax avoidance" for the very wealthy.  Look into the transfers into various charities connected to Epstein - why would Les Wexner just send over $21 million to Epstein's charity for Jeff to take all the credit giving it away?  Why would Les sign over the NYC property for practically no money (this one could have been in lieu of Financial Trust's fees for the year or something similar).  Another charity of Epstein was launched with $10 million that appears to have come from Leon Black.

All of the USVI entities, the strange charitable flows - looks like he was peddling tax strategies to me.  Likely with plenty of 'dirt' and blackmail thrown in for "stickiness!"

Also - it does appear that he traded through Bear Stearns earlier in his career (Ace Greenberg said he has gone from working at the firm to becoming an important client - he was fired from Bear for loaning money to a friend to buy stock - likely an insider trade - dating a secretary, and expense account irregularities).  He traded through Deutsche Bank most of his career.  Looks like he lost a lot of money on the Bear Stearns collapse and another $50m through the collapse of a Bear hedge fund.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/10/business/jeffrey-epstein-net-worth.html?action=click&module=RelatedCoverage&pgtype=Article&region=Footer

Example number 1 of criminal justice system being totally fu**ed?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/teacher-jailed-20-years-having-144000464.html

Chick who has a clean record, along with likely some mental issues and a sex addiction gets 20 years for doinking a 13 year old who supposedly was obsessed with her and pursued her relentlessly. Not to mention, is it not a fantasy of pretty much every teenage boy to screw the hot teacher at school? Epstein got what, 12 months for trafficking and rapings galore of teenagers around the same age? Hopefully he gets 20 per kid going forward.

Guest cherzeca

I'm waiting for the movie.  I am sure Harvey Weinstein would have loved to green light this one.  alas...

If he was blackmailing rich people like Clinton and Trump I hope they get him to sing like a bird.  Endless entertainment!

They just need to get hold of his blackmail material ( tapes?). I agree it could be interesting. Also, do all scumbags bank with Deutsche Bank?

• 4 weeks later...

Definitely another inside job. This tool, or someone who was likely involved in this, clearly had to have pulled some strings to get this guy in the position to off himself. How else does this happen after he already tried and failed, and thereafter was placed on suicide watch. Yet still manages to commit suicide...Justice will not be served here and a lot of horrible people are currently breathing a lot easier.

Definitely another inside job. This tool, or someone who was likely involved in this, clearly had to have pulled some strings to get this guy in the position to off himself. How else does this happen after he already tried and failed, and thereafter was placed on suicide watch. Yet still manages to commit suicide...Justice will not be served here and a lot of horrible people are currently breathing a lot easier.

+1!  Yup, a bunch of as*holes will sleep better tonight.  Hope they investigate this!  Cheers!

I'm so shocked by reading the last few posts in this topic, honestly,

Predators are everywhere, not just in the US, also in tiny Denmark [for my part]. Absolutely terrible stories pops up now and then - also here. Those cases are however still dealt with in the court system.

-Do you not trust the US legal system? [opinions of Canadians are not relevant here]

Predators are everywhere, not just in the US, also in tiny Denmark [for my part]. Absolutely terrible stories pops up now and then - also here. Those cases are however still dealt with in the court system.

-Do you not trust the US legal system? [opinions of Canadians are not relevant here]

I do not.

The US legal system that gave this guy a 12 month sentence for all of this the first time? The US legal system that regularly lets celebrities and pro athletes off clean for major drug offenses if they do a 6 month rehab stint? The US legal system that lets a cop annihilate someone on video and doesn't produce even a day of probation? The US legal system that allows financial professionals and public company executives to line their pockets and pay fines without admitting guilt or having to give back all the ill gotten gains?

Add in the Clintons and many other super high profile people here, and you bet; I have ZERO confidence ANYTHING, EVER comes from any of this. They might find a few small chumps to go after just to say they did something, but that's it. Our legal system is a total disgrace. I stopped being shocked long ago. How many times the same drug/DUI/firearm offenses that ruin the life(or severely impair them) of the average citizen, while famous people like Rose McGowan, Pacman Jones, TI, etc get literally nothing, over and over and over...

EDIT: I'll also add, those people I listed are just pee on level famous. The folks Epstein was involved with are Illuminati level elites...

One really strange piece of advice that my father gave me when I was young was that if I was going to do anything criminal, I might as well commit a huge crime — because being a small time criminal makes absolutely no sense in terms of risk/reward.  I didn’t get it at the time but nowadays I do.  (Not that I’m a huge criminal mastermind, just to be clear.)

If he was blackmailing rich people like Clinton and Trump I hope they get him to sing like a bird.  Endless entertainment!

They just need to get hold of his blackmail material ( tapes?). I agree it could be interesting. Also, do all scumbags bank with Deutsche Bank?

Personally I think Spekulatius' take on the situation is the key to understanding the real situation as of now.

Didn't law enforcement gather a lot of evidence?

Just because this turd offed himself, doesn't absolve anyone who was implicated.

Does the investigation just end?

I believe SDNY has indicated that they will continue to go after the co-conspirators.

Do you trust yours? :/

The US legal system that gave this guy a 12 month sentence for all of this the first time? The US legal system that regularly lets celebrities and pro athletes off clean for major drug offenses if they do a 6 month rehab stint? The US legal system that lets a cop annihilate someone on video and doesn't produce even a day of probation? The US legal system that allows financial professionals and public company executives to line their pockets and pay fines without admitting guilt or having to give back all the ill gotten gains?

Add in the Clintons and many other super high profile people here, and you bet; I have ZERO confidence ANYTHING, EVER comes from any of this. They might find a few small chumps to go after just to say they did something, but that's it. Our legal system is a total disgrace. I stopped being shocked long ago. How many times the same drug/DUI/firearm offenses that ruin the life(or severely impair them) of the average citizen, while famous people like Rose McGowan, Pacman Jones, TI, etc get literally nothing, over and over and over...

EDIT: I'll also add, those people I listed are just pee on level famous. The folks Epstein was involved with are Illuminati level elites...

Greg,

Thank you for elaborating with specific examples. After reading your post I understand your position better. Some of those examples have actually hit the Danish press. I read it as yet another token of USA gradually becoming more divided [without the intent to turn this topic into politics].

On overall basis, I do, actually. The question is if this is warranted, or I'm naive. Perhaps it's not only about the Danish legal system, but also about that I live a place, where we have some kind of a "dual legal" system - the legal system and The Law of Jante. Parts of the Danish press practise The Law of Jante zealously. Here is a hilarious example. ["You can't speed up a Tesla when it's standing still" and "I haven't filed a police report for violence against me by the officers because they were two against one."  [ : - D]]

The real problem is that I may be severely biased here because I forget about such cases [related to equality for the law] in the long run - simply because I don't give a damn about them [like example above], and because I haven't really seen some appalling evidence that there exist exemptions from equality for the Law. There is a risk that the casuality in this line of thinking may be logically flawed.

So, thank you for asking, wachtwoord.

On overall basis, I do, actually. The question is if this is warranted, or I'm naive. Perhaps it's not only about the Danish legal system, but also about that I live a place, where we have some kind of a "dual legal" system - the legal system and The Law of Jante. Parts of the Danish press practise The Law of Jante zealously. Here is a hilarious example. ["You can't speed up a Tesla when it's standing still" and "I haven't filed a police report for violence against me by the officers because they were two against one."  [ : - D]]

The real problem is that I may be severely biased here because I forget about such cases [related to equality for the law] in the long run - simply because I don't give a damn about them [like example above], and because I haven't really seen some appalling evidence that there exist exemptions from equality for the Law. There is a risk that the casuality in this line of thinking may be logically flawed.

Home bias for sure, but having lived in both the US and Germany, I would trust the legal system in Nordic countries, Germany, France and UK more so than in the US. I believe the jury system, quality of the defending lawyer and prosecutor as well as location can make the outcome of a trial quite unpredictable. A conviction for the same crime can have vastly different outcomes which is much less the case Europe. However, I am not a legal expert nor have I run into legal issues anywhere.

Thanks for answering.

I read that Junte law thing before and it's against everything I stand for. It clearly places collectivism (and ostracizing standing out or being special) over individualism and I despise that. Is this actually taken seriously? (I may be missing something important here as reading the other article with Google translate and it didn't make much sense at all how the wealthy man defended himself).

I don't trust our (Dutch) legal system very much. Judges often make (large) mistakes (false convictions in criminal cases are not acceptable AT ALL), are above criticism and give ridiculously low punishments for heavy crimes (murder, aussault, rape etc) even though the law allows far higher punishments (how can you give a sentence less than the crime?)

On the other side of the coin the US system is clearly worse. First off the prosecutor there gets rewarded per conviction so is motivated (and will!) try to convict even if he knows full well the suspect is innocent (even if he has evidence that shows that, which he will then withhold). The system in Holland does not force the prosecutor to prosecute unless he believes that to be warranted and sharing evidence that hurts his case (and helps the suspect) is mandatory. You'll often see cases where prosecutors ask the judge to dismiss the case.

Secondly, while settlements are everywhere, in the US these are extraordinarily popular. People are told to confess (even if not guilty) and take a low punishement or go to trial and threathened with far higher punishments. Do I really have to explain to a forum of intelligent people how that will inevitably lead to a great many false confessions out of fear?

Confessions out of mental torture should not be admissable in court.

A bit apropos the US legal system discussion, I've just read the "You have the right to remain innocent" ( https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asin=B01DAD218W&preview=newtab&linkCode=kpe&ref_=cm_sw_r_kb_dp_GqxuDbGTPDB3D&tag=raimonwebsite-20 ).

It's a short book which can be shortened to two sentences:

1. Do not talk to the police

2. Clearly request a lawyer and do not say anything until you get one.

Two interesting parts:

1. Everyone is a criminal. Actually everyone is guilty of terrorism with chemical weapons. Just read the appropriate law (or the book).

2. Claiming the fifth is now pretty much treated as an evidence of guilt with Supreme Court precedent no less.  ::)

This is all limited to US. Your rights might differ in your/other countries. I'm not a lawyer.