Author Topic: Why are Russian stocks so cheap?  (Read 67580 times)

flixil

Re: Why are Russian stocks so cheap?
« Reply #130 on: September 18, 2014, 03:03:21 AM »
http://rapsinews.com/news/20140917/272126388.html
http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/66a2a474-3e7d-11e4-a620-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3DexwEwIc

Who should pay, Vladimir Yevtushenkov the board chairman or the company?
Is this maneuver only to force a sell of Bashneft below market value?

Comments?

60ーNorth Investments

• Seeking Alpha profile
« Reply #131 on: September 18, 2014, 03:40:40 AM »
This is a very interesting case in many ways. Frankly, I have no idea how this will end but was invested in Sistema and bought yet more yesterday. It does look more and more like the arrest etc. is just to get Bashneft cheaply to other hands, although this naturally might be false. At the moment you can Sistema for less than their stake in MTS is worth. It might be the case though that this doesn't matter in the end, if they decide to take the whole Sistema then this will proove to be another Russian adventure where you're liquidated for basically nothing.

If it's Rosneft boss + Putin going for Bashneft, this will be another textbook example of what happens when you combine greed and power.

phil_Buffett

« Reply #132 on: September 18, 2014, 03:59:14 AM »
I also think they want bashneft cheaply. They say to him, give as bashneft to this price and your free. But i think the share downturn is to much.

flixil

« Reply #133 on: September 18, 2014, 06:14:59 AM »
Is there a thread for Sistem?

frommi

« Reply #134 on: September 18, 2014, 07:04:43 AM »
I revisited my investment thesis for russia in the last days and came to the conclusion that a lot of things have gotten worse in the last six month. I freaked out in the end and sold all russia related investments (BP,Lukoil,RSXJ) because i have no trust that things get better again as long as Putin has the lead.

Fat Pitch

• Crowd Home Plate and Wait for the Right Pitch
    • FatPitchInvestments.com
« Reply #135 on: September 18, 2014, 08:27:29 AM »
I also think they want bashneft cheaply. They say to him, give as bashneft to this price and your free. But i think the share downturn is to much.

What makes you think they値l offer a price? I think they値l just take the assets for nothing and jail anyone they can get their hands on.
Where Seeking Out Risk Adjusted Return is our Passion!

randomep

• Bull Bear and Value Blog
« Reply #136 on: September 18, 2014, 02:58:46 PM »

What makes you think they値l offer a price? I think they値l just take the assets for nothing and jail anyone they can get their hands on.

sorry to hear you jump ship, I will stay on the way John Templeton told us

phil_Buffett

« Reply #137 on: September 19, 2014, 01:20:31 AM »

What makes you think they’ll offer a price? I think they’ll just take the assets for nothing and jail anyone they can get their hands on.

i think they will give him a symbolic Price. not much, but a Price that they can say we bought this Thing legally. thereafter he is a free man or he not cooperate with Putin and co and he will lose everything.

Poor Charlie

« Reply #138 on: September 19, 2014, 08:50:59 AM »
Does anyone have advice on direct access to the Russian market for a US personal account (paperwork/brokerage)?  Are there any international brokers that provide access?  I am looking at MOEX and Sberbank PFDs as well as a few smaller names.  Anything would be helpful.  TIA.

Fat Pitch

• Crowd Home Plate and Wait for the Right Pitch
    • FatPitchInvestments.com
« Reply #139 on: September 19, 2014, 08:59:15 AM »

sorry to hear you jump ship, I will stay on the way John Templeton told us

I think you quoted the wrong person, I知 just watching this from the sidelines.
Where Seeking Out Risk Adjusted Return is our Passion!