Would-Be Financial Whiz Is Charged With Stealing From Investors

Mephistopheles

http://www.wsj.com/articles/would-be-financial-whiz-is-charged-with-stealing-from-investors-1426554634

Investors who asked for their money back from Mr. Malik were rebuffed with email replies that ranged from affectionate (“you know that I love you”), indignant (“stop your nonsense”) and angry (“go f— yourself”), to bizarre (“I am going Deer hunting”).

“I AM CRYING, I AM A HUMAN BEING…NOT A MONEY MAKING MACHINE, I HAVE FEELINGS AND DREAMS” he emailed one investor at 10:45 p.m. in February 2014. “YEAH PUT ME IN JAIL GOOD JOB!”

Mr. Malik spent the money on a “lavish lifestyle,” including $30,116 on vacation travel and $36,124 for restaurant dining and liquor, the SEC said. The purchases allegedly funded by investors include $25.53 in the Statue of Liberty gift shop and a $49.99 subscription to a Muslim dating site, court filings show.

Mr. Malik tried to fake his own death, the SEC said, sending an email to one investor from a nonexistent employee named Courtney that read: “Mr. Malik has been passed away with the heart attack after accident. We will dissolve the fund shortly.”