Author Topic: Your 2017 Best Ideas  (Read 19538 times)

rkbabang

• Lifetime Member
Re: Your 2017 Best Ideas
« Reply #80 on: September 12, 2017, 08:11:25 PM »
Jamie Lannister's thoughts on bitcoin:

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/12/jpmorgan-ceo-jamie-dimon-raises-flag-on-trading-revenue-sees-20-percent-fall-for-the-third-quarter.html
"winter is coming"

LOL, in other news the CEO of Smith-Corona said word processing is a scam. And he's firing anyone who buys a computer, because they're stupid.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 08:14:29 PM by rkbabang »

rb

« Reply #81 on: September 12, 2017, 10:15:16 PM »
Having your purchasing power eroded by high transaction costs is not obviously better than having it eroded by inflation. I suppose it depends whether you are using it as a store of value or a currency.
I think you're pretty on point here. A currency is a store of value. Bit coin is not - so not much of a currency. But if people want to trade baseball cards, who am i to stop them.

EricSchleien1

« Reply #82 on: September 12, 2017, 10:18:43 PM »

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/12/jpmorgan-ceo-jamie-dimon-raises-flag-on-trading-revenue-sees-20-percent-fall-for-the-third-quarter.html
"winter is coming"

LOL, in other news the CEO of Smith-Corona said word processing is a scam. And he's firing anyone who buys a computer, because they're stupid.

So funny. My very first business partner, his father's company owned 100% of smith-corona ;)

rkbabang

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #83 on: September 13, 2017, 07:19:38 AM »

"winter is coming"

So funny. My very first business partner, his father's company owned 100% of smith-corona ;)

I used to use a Smith-Corona to do my book reports in middle school and high school.  I had a Commodore 64 since I was 10yrs old, but I didn't have a printer until I got my 1st PC when I was a junior in high school.  My Smith-Corona had the correction tape which was like magic, it could erase your errors!

Sharad

• Blogging About Money
« Reply #84 on: September 13, 2017, 10:32:09 AM »
I'll stick with the ones I selected in the previous "Your 2017 Best Ideas" topic that was made in January 2017:

NVO - Novo Nordisk (still cheap compared to their long term average, peers and return to shareholder perspective, with impressive ROA in the 40% range);
XMF.A (TSX) - Manulife split share (thinly traded);
BPE (TSX) - Brightpath Early Learning: bought out by Ontario Teachers' Pension subsidiary for 70% premium to January 2017 price;
CET - Cathedral Energy because they will make lots of money for the equipment they provide to shale other land based oil producers.

http://www.cornerofberkshireandfairfax.ca/forum/general-discussion/your-2017-best-ideas/msg285587/#msg285587
Top 7 long positions: CCL-B.TO, PBH.TO, LFE.TO, NVO, FAST, MO & PM. Short: Canadian financials.

UNF2007

« Reply #85 on: September 13, 2017, 12:48:34 PM »
Wasn't my idea, but it's by far my largest position, and still has a way to go to fair value.

CLWY

orthopa

« Reply #86 on: September 13, 2017, 02:11:49 PM »
My best ideas are still V and PM. Neither is cheap but have held both a long time and like the next 5-10 years for both. Otherwise just building cash.

In regards to the bitcoin discussion haven't the greatest investors of all time said things such " if you cant describe your investment in a short paragraph", "if you cant draw it with a crayon" etc etc. I'm completely ignorant to the entire discussion and not calling those involved wrong but it seems like such a terribly complicated investment. Often on the board people can have large differences in opinion on value but not so much of an opinion on what they are actually investing in and what the function of the investment is.  I would have a very hard time putting significant money into an idea that others view the value of so different. Is it a currency, a store of value, a technology, a means of privacy, etc, etc? Not sure that this is opaque as the "black box" that banks were during and after the GFC but it maybe close. Good luck to those involved. If this is the future and Im this ignorant to all of this Im f*cked.

SharperDingaan

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #87 on: September 13, 2017, 03:19:57 PM »
My best ideas are still V and PM. Neither is cheap but have held both a long time and like the next 5-10 years for both. Otherwise just building cash.

In regards to the bitcoin discussion haven't the greatest investors of all time said things such " if you cant describe your investment in a short paragraph", "if you cant draw it with a crayon" etc etc. I'm completely ignorant to the entire discussion and not calling those involved wrong but it seems like such a terribly complicated investment. Often on the board people can have large differences in opinion on value but not so much of an opinion on what they are actually investing in and what the function of the investment is.  I would have a very hard time putting significant money into an idea that others view the value of so different. Is it a currency, a store of value, a technology, a means of privacy, etc, etc? Not sure that this is opaque as the "black box" that banks were during and after the GFC but it maybe close. Good luck to those involved. If this is the future and Im this ignorant to all of this Im f*cked.

I will have a short on-line university course out in the next 4-6 weeks, that is designed with very much this in mind.
Amongst other things the expectation is that it will take the learner through the block chain due diligence process from vision through to implementation, demonstrate via a case study - implementation of clear token in a charity application; demonstrate via a case study - implementation of colored token in a bond issuance application, and conclude with a project where the learner tries it out him/herself under guidance.

If you then wish to do it 'for real' afterwards ...
I know a great consultant who can help you - at a very reasonable rate net of a COBF 'friends and family' discount  ;)

SD

« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 03:21:59 PM by SharperDingaan »

Luke 5:32

« Reply #88 on: September 13, 2017, 03:20:40 PM »
Best ideas for remainder of 2017... FNMAS, FNMAH, FMCCL. 
"Bring your sorrows and trade them for joy. From the ashes a new life is born." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYQ5yXCc_CA&list=PLWvahZRxLnLMSWeULnub0CCeQzvxGM8hB

Cardboard

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #89 on: September 13, 2017, 07:18:49 PM »
POE boys, POE boys!!!