Author Topic: AAPL - Apple Inc.  (Read 1317246 times)

bennycx

Re: AAPL - Apple Inc.
« Reply #6420 on: September 14, 2018, 08:19:39 AM »
I actually agree that The improvements look underwhelming.

The improvement between X and Xs is underwhelming. But the difference between the 8 and Xr is massive. Well worth the modest bump in price versus iPhone 8 launch pricing.

Coming from 8, 7 and lower, the updates are pretty major.  Depends on how you cycle your smartphone. 

We do it based on necessity or overwhelming feature improvements ... that's usually a 2 -3 cycle.

My point was that the premium tier of normal sized iPhones is iPhone 6 -> iphone 7 -> iphone 8 -> iphone Xr. A 64GB iPhone 6 cost $749 at launch. A 64GB iPhone Xr will cost $749. The leap only seems underwhelming because Apple introduced a new line of ultra-premium devices that overshadowed the previous top-of-the-line phones. But if you stay within the old price tier, you are going to see a dramatic leap (regardless of your cycle).

Thats true, but people are willing to pay $250 for extra 1050p full HD ! And comparing the Xr to other brands available in the market you could get for cheaper but statistically better

dwy000

« Reply #6421 on: September 14, 2018, 09:58:38 AM »
I actually agree that The improvements look underwhelming.

The improvement between X and Xs is underwhelming. But the difference between the 8 and Xr is massive. Well worth the modest bump in price versus iPhone 8 launch pricing.

Coming from 8, 7 and lower, the updates are pretty major.  Depends on how you cycle your smartphone. 

We do it based on necessity or overwhelming feature improvements ... that's usually a 2 -3 cycle.

My point was that the premium tier of normal sized iPhones is iPhone 6 -> iphone 7 -> iphone 8 -> iphone Xr. A 64GB iPhone 6 cost $749 at launch. A 64GB iPhone Xr will cost $749. The leap only seems underwhelming because Apple introduced a new line of ultra-premium devices that overshadowed the previous top-of-the-line phones. But if you stay within the old price tier, you are going to see a dramatic leap (regardless of your cycle).

Thats true, but people are willing to pay $250 for extra 1050p full HD ! And comparing the Xr to other brands available in the market you could get for cheaper but statistically better

I think Apple has shown time and again that they aren't out there to compete with other phone makers, they are competing against themselves.  If you're starting out and just looking for best tech and most features for best price, you'll never buy an iPhone.  But once you're in the Apple ecosystem and it has comparable features to the other phones (and you don't want to be the only one in your group of friend with the "other" phone) you'll probably just stay with Apple and now it's just a question of how much more they can charge for it without having you think about defecting to another brand.

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #6422 on: September 14, 2018, 10:15:33 AM »
Others focus on creating the best list of specs on paper.

Apple focus on creating the best products in actual use.
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | Interesting podcast on sleep science

John Hjorth

« Reply #6423 on: September 14, 2018, 11:04:31 AM »
Great interchange of perceptions, product valuations, user experiences etc. among fellow CoBF board members with regard to Apple products etc. so far in this topic since the Apple new products presententation on September 12th. Thank you a lot for sharing.

I'm sorry for disturbing the topic torrent here, but I actually have one question, that I simply have to ask here:

From what I have read recently in this topic, it appears to me to have been a serious mistake not to buy/switch to iPhone, from ie. Samsung phones a few years ago. So, my question here is for those you, who actually did choose to prodeed about a year ago with the then new iPhone X, what is now your general perception & experience with this product?

-Thank you in advance.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 11:06:08 AM by John Hjorth »
”In the race of excellence … there is no finish line.”
-HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and Ruler of Dubai

gary17

« Reply #6424 on: September 14, 2018, 11:05:58 AM »
Others focus on creating the best list of specs on paper.

Apple focus on creating the best products in actual use.

I couldn't agree more

i laugh when i hear people talk about somebody else's phone has a higher megapixel camera...  as if people are printing them out ... people just share photos on FB and Instagram these days....  it's the dynamic range, richness of the colour, etc that makes a camera great. 

pau_

« Reply #6425 on: September 14, 2018, 11:33:59 AM »
Also it's worth noting that if you're a dissident, journalist, political candidate, or someone who is just generally concerned with their personal security and privacy, iPhone is currently the recommended device. Apple takes this stuff really seriously and has stood up to attempts by the FBI to get them to weaken it.

See for example this FAQ for journalists that's been vetted by security experts: https://techsolidarity.org/resources/basic_security.htm

I'm guessing Pixel probably fixes some of these things, but most android phones are poor in this respect:
  • everything has security bugs. The cure for this is upgrading. If you bought an android phone five years ago it will be years out of date if you rely on manufacturer updates. If you bought the iPhone 5s five years ago it runs the newest iOS and will be supported when iOS12 comes out.
  • Apple takes hardware security seriously. If someone steals your iPhone, you can be sure your data is as safe as your passcode. Apple stores encryption keys and sensitive data in a separate part of their in-house designed SOC that the OS doesn't have read access to (secure element). Apple publishes technical details about these systems.
  • The cell modem/baseband doesn't have direct access to iOS, which is a common (bad) security design in Android.

jondoug

« Reply #6426 on: September 14, 2018, 11:54:47 AM »
Great interchange of perceptions, product valuations, user experiences etc. among fellow CoBF board members with regard to Apple products etc. so far in this topic since the Apple new products presententation on September 12th. Thank you a lot for sharing.

I'm sorry for disturbing the topic torrent here, but I actually have one question, that I simply have to ask here:

From what I have read recently in this topic, it appears to me to have been a serious mistake not to buy/switch to iPhone, from ie. Samsung phones a few years ago. So, my question here is for those you, who actually did choose to prodeed about a year ago with the then new iPhone X, what is now your general perception & experience with this product?

-Thank you in advance.

Not sure if I fit exactly into the profile you were looking for: After being on the iPhone 5 and 6, I moved to a Samasung S6 and then S8 for a couple of years. Switched back to iPhone X last year. I moved to Samsung from the iPhone 6 to test if Android had really had caught up with the iPhone. If you remember at that time there was talk about peak iPhone and that Android had pretty much caught up with iPhone, if not exceeded, in terms of display and user friendly features. Also, I always like Google Maps and also wanted to see if I move completely into the Google ecosystem if my experience will be great within Android. I am a tech professional and if switching was tough for me, it would definitely be very tough for the average iPhone user. There wasn't a big reason for me to switch, expect that I wanted to try it myself to see if it is possible that Apple users could really move away in droves to a different OS.

When I first switched, I was liking the experience. I didn't care about privacy at that time, gave all access to Google and found Google Now was very useful. I get notified seamlessly about my trips, I got my calendar pretty much in sync (we use Google Apps for our work). There were some annoyances, specific to Samsung like not moving to the latest Android version and a dedicated button for Bixby their version of Siri/Google Assistant etc.

But as time progressed I realized I was spending way more time with performance issues, rebooting the phone and also battery life was degrading significantly. I moved from S6 to S8 and again the same thing happened, in a year found it progressively degrading. S8 also has an image unlock feature, but I found it very unreliable and switched to the touch feature.

This year I switched back to iPhone X, effectively after two years on Android and I have been very happy with the switch. The Face ID feature is awesome, battery lasts a long time and of course we all know the phone will last quite a long time. My old iPhone 5 and 6 are still in use among extended family members.

Overall the tight coupling between software and hardware goes a long way in making the iPhone experience unmatched. Maybe Google will eventually come out with a Pixel phone that will match Apple in that respect, but that's a long way away.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 11:59:03 AM by jondoug »

John Hjorth

« Reply #6427 on: September 14, 2018, 01:07:30 PM »
jondoug,

Thank you very much for taking the time to phrase a reply to me! -I really appreciate it very much! - There is certainly something to think about, from my personal perspective, going forward.

- - - o 0 o - - -

Hereby a belated welcome to you here on CoBF! - Please don't be a stranger!
”In the race of excellence … there is no finish line.”
-HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and Ruler of Dubai

rkbabang

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6428 on: September 14, 2018, 07:14:52 PM »
Also it's worth noting that if you're a dissident, journalist, political candidate, or someone who is just generally concerned with their personal security and privacy, iPhone is currently the recommended device. Apple takes this stuff really seriously and has stood up to attempts by the FBI to get them to weaken it.

See for example this FAQ for journalists that's been vetted by security experts: https://techsolidarity.org/resources/basic_security.htm

I'm guessing Pixel probably fixes some of these things, but most android phones are poor in this respect:
  • everything has security bugs. The cure for this is upgrading. If you bought an android phone five years ago it will be years out of date if you rely on manufacturer updates. If you bought the iPhone 5s five years ago it runs the newest iOS and will be supported when iOS12 comes out.
  • Apple takes hardware security seriously. If someone steals your iPhone, you can be sure your data is as safe as your passcode. Apple stores encryption keys and sensitive data in a separate part of their in-house designed SOC that the OS doesn't have read access to (secure element). Apple publishes technical details about these systems.
  • The cell modem/baseband doesn't have direct access to iOS, which is a common (bad) security design in Android.

Yes Apple takes security seriously and that is another reason I'm staying with iPhone.  I use a strong password and have it set to erase the phone on 10 wrong attempts.  I do use faceID and love it which is a security hole, but iPhone X has a nice feature that if you hold the buttons on both sides down (like when you take it out of your pocket, or while its still in your pocket and the police are walking towards you, etc) it will disable faceID and require your password. 

rkbabang

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6429 on: September 14, 2018, 07:21:25 PM »

-Thank you in advance.

I can't comment on iPhone in comparison to android, because I've never owned an android phone.  So far I've had an iPhone 5, 5S, 6S, and now I've had the X for almost a year.  The X is the best phone I've owned by a long shot.  The screen is amazing, faceID is so much easier than finger print recognition, the battery lasts forever (compared with my previous phones). With the 6S I charged it overnight and it was dead by noon, then I charged it at work and it was dead by 5pm, I charged it in my car and it was dead before I went to bed.   With my X I charge it at night and that is all.  It still has charge when I go to bed.  The camera is great.  Apps open quickly and everything runs smoothly.  As I said I don't know how all this compares to android.  But I see no reason to switch.  I don't like apple maps, but I use Waze anyway and I have google maps installed too.  I don't like apple's email app, so I use google inbox.  I really have no complaints with it.