Author Topic: AAPL - Apple Inc.  (Read 1513375 times)

johnny

Re: AAPL - Apple Inc.
« Reply #6740 on: June 27, 2019, 02:30:27 PM »
Why does it matter? We are a services company now. Havenít you been listening to the calls?

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #6741 on: June 28, 2019, 06:07:32 AM »
Appleís Chief Design Officer Jony Ive is leaving the company

https://www.ft.com/content/947e557a-98a8-11e9-8cfb-30c211dcd229?shareType=nongift

Wow

It's not like he wasn't working with huge teams and that he hasn't shaped the culture there to a large extent that will stay after he's gone, but this is a big announcement.

Wow indeed. It will be very interesting to see how they do without him...

To be fair, Johny had already semi-retired a few years ago when design responsibilities fell more on others and he spent a lot of time focusing mostly on Apple Park, but it's still turning a page of Apple history.
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | This podcast episode is a must-listen

Castanza

« Reply #6742 on: June 28, 2019, 06:33:54 AM »
Apple’s Chief Design Officer Jony Ive is leaving the company

https://www.ft.com/content/947e557a-98a8-11e9-8cfb-30c211dcd229?shareType=nongift
Wow

It's not like he wasn't working with huge teams and that he hasn't shaped the culture there to a large extent that will stay after he's gone, but this is a big announcement.

Wow indeed. It will be very interesting to see how they do without him...

To be fair, Johny had already semi-retired a few years ago when design responsibilities fell more on others and he spent a lot of time focusing mostly on Apple Park, but it's still turning a page of Apple history.

Is Apple's design that hard to mimic going forward? I mean once the iconic style is established it shouldn't be that hard for others to carry on. At least styling wise. I don't really picture apple shifting their style to something else (in a dramatic sense) anytime in the near future.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 09:53:09 AM by Castanza »

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | This podcast episode is a must-listen

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #6744 on: July 04, 2019, 07:13:38 AM »
Better late than never, I suppose (though hardware cycles are longer than people expect, not easy to turn on a dime...):

https://9to5mac.com/2019/07/04/kuo-new-keyboard-macbook-air-pro/

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #6745 on: July 25, 2019, 01:52:35 PM »
https://newsroom.intel.com/news-releases/intel-smartphone-modem-business/#gs.s2b0t2

Apple to Acquire Majority of Intelís Smartphone Modem Business (for $1bn)

LC

« Reply #6746 on: August 29, 2019, 01:09:29 PM »
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/29/apple-to-provide-independent-repair-shops-with-iphone-parts.html

Apple reverses stance on iPhone repairs and will supply parts to independent shops for the first time

Interesting development. Perhaps finally feeling the pressure from cheaper phone suppliers?
"Lethargy bordering on sloth remains the cornerstone of our investment style."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
brk.b | irm | mmm | mo | nlsn | pm | pypl | tap | v | wm

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #6747 on: September 11, 2019, 06:50:19 AM »

Spekulatius

« Reply #6748 on: September 13, 2019, 04:07:23 PM »
Anybody else thinks that the Apple streaming TV offering is very underwhelming? $5/ month for a couple of unproven shows and no existing film library (if I see this correctly )? how is this attractive when I can get Netflix for $13/ month with a huge LIBRARY and to a if shows, or Amazon Video as a perk with Prime? Maybe they get some traction offering this for free with a device,  it who would buy this for full price? It funny that the low monthly cost seems to have pressured  Netflix stock, but ai canít think that this is really competitive.
To be a realist, one has to believe in miracles.

johnny

« Reply #6749 on: September 13, 2019, 04:12:14 PM »
I think the consensus (and correct) view here is that the TV+ strategy is absolutely bizarre. Their "well I guess it'll just be free to the 100m people who buy something" non-pricing strategy is I think as close to an acknowledgement of that fact as you'll get.

At some big-picture level I can see the angle here. They're wagering a huge amount in absolute terms, but 1% of corporate value to sort of see what happens. It's certainly adjacent enough to their existing business lines that it makes sense for them to be participating. But as I think I've said before, if they were going to do this, they needed to be doing it five years ago instead of spending half a decade jerking around suspicious partners who undermined their platform because of the inconsistent telegraphing.

I think the sleeper here is Apple Arcade. Apple execs as a category are oblivious about gaming, but obviously somebody made some pitch that worked and Arcade has real potential to be not just profitable on its own terms (something I think no sane person is projecting for TV+) but carries very real platform lock-in potential over the long term.

The News+ product continues to be half-assed garbage, and I deeply resent the sort of garbage promotional synergies that Apple seems to be totally shameless about nowadays.