Author Topic: AAPL - Apple Inc.  (Read 1514264 times)

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
Re: AAPL - Apple Inc.
« Reply #6750 on: September 13, 2019, 04:58:07 PM »
It's not competition to Netflix. They're just starting out, they don't own an existing library like Disney.. it's a way to get more people inside the Apple TV app, where they can subscribe to other channels (like Amazon does), which can be a decently lucrative source of recurring revs, and a way to make the ecosystem a bit stickier. Over time they might build it into something more, but I think they doing it right by starting small and taking their time rather than try to do everything at once and having a ton of execution risk.
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | This podcast episode is a must-listen

SHDL

« Reply #6751 on: September 13, 2019, 08:10:41 PM »
I donít have particularly high expectations for TV+ either, but weíll see.  I remember having a similar, slightly negative reaction to Netflix when I first found out about their streaming service earlier in the decade ($6/mo or whatever for access to a couple of original shows with strange premises, a rotating roster of maybe two good movies at any given time, and a large collection of lower quality videos?) and I didnít bother signing up until everyone was talking about how great Breaking Bad was.  So Iíve decided to just wait and see what Apple actually puts out.  Itís a tricky business IMO where one big hit can make a huge difference.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 08:18:06 PM by SHDL »

DooDiligence

• ♪ 🎶 ♫ ♪ 🎶 ♫
« Reply #6752 on: September 13, 2019, 08:39:17 PM »
Iger's out & there's still no Mickey Mouse phone.
Healthcare 25.9% - CVS EW NVO // BRK.B - 23.1% // Auto's & Oil 15.0% - CLB GPC VDE

Entertainment 4.8% - DIS // Banking 9.9% - WFC // Drinkers & Smokers 4.9% - MO

%'s held @ MV 08/29/2019 minus 16.4% investable cash

i trumpet my ignorance

https://twitter.com/tunawish

DCG

• Lifetime Member
    • Venture Blend
« Reply #6753 on: September 23, 2019, 08:03:46 AM »
Have any of you gotten the 11 yet? Considering getting an 11 Pro.

The 11 sounds like a better option from a price standpoint, but I think I'd want the Pro for the OLED display.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 08:51:46 AM by DCG »

gfp

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6754 on: September 23, 2019, 08:39:19 AM »
My neighbor got an 11 in purple and said he liked it a lot.  I got the 11 pro max on launch day and it is as expected- very similar to the 10s max it replaced.  Slightly thicker and heavier (bigger battery).  FaceID is noticeably faster and works at more angles, cameras are very good.

I should add - I don't expect them to sell particularly strongly.  They are very similar to last years phones

DCG

• Lifetime Member
    • Venture Blend
« Reply #6755 on: September 23, 2019, 08:50:24 AM »
My neighbor got an 11 in purple and said he liked it a lot.  I got the 11 pro max on launch day and it is as expected- very similar to the 10s max it replaced.  Slightly thicker and heavier (bigger battery).  FaceID is noticeably faster and works at more angles, cameras are very good.

I should add - I don't expect them to sell particularly strongly.  They are very similar to last years phones

yeah, I'm considering getting an XS instead of the Pro, as it's a bit cheaper. It's only $100 less than the 11 Pro though, and if nothing else, the 11 would hold it's trade-in value for a year longer. Better camera and a slightly faster processor as well.

I currently have an 6S and have put off upgrading for a while. I think the sales of the 11 are largely going to be people like myself, who have older phones they haven't upgraded in a while. I wouldn't see much of a reason to upgrade to the 11 from the XS or X.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 08:53:19 AM by DCG »

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #6756 on: September 23, 2019, 09:03:29 AM »
Important potential benefit of wearables like the Apple Watch:

https://twitter.com/yuris/status/1175518460333346816
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | This podcast episode is a must-listen

Castanza

« Reply #6757 on: September 23, 2019, 09:52:41 AM »
Have any of you gotten the 11 yet? Considering getting an 11 Pro.

The 11 sounds like a better option from a price standpoint, but I think I'd want the Pro for the OLED display.

I just got the Pro and it seems nice. I think upgraded screen and additional camera is worth the $100 bucks or so. This is my first iPhone though so I can't really compare it. I've also always went with low end android phones (Moto G5 Plus $249). I believe my wife upgraded from the 6s and obviously it's clearly a better phone. Still not jazzed about the lack of headphone jack. Overall this seems like it had enough stuff to warrant a pricier phone. It seems that people (at least women) are excited enough about the new camera to upgrade. I think the 11 series will sell better than the last two, but that's just a guess.

DCG

• Lifetime Member
    • Venture Blend
« Reply #6758 on: September 23, 2019, 02:50:00 PM »
It's still dumb that you can get a Macbook air for about the same price as the iPhone 11 Pro, you can get an iPad Pro for last than an iPhone.

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #6759 on: September 23, 2019, 04:07:33 PM »
It's still dumb that you can get a Macbook air for about the same price as the iPhone 11 Pro, you can get an iPad Pro for last than an iPhone.

Why is it dumb? (Unless you judge the value of things purely by size/weight?)