Author Topic: ALS.TO - Altius Minerals  (Read 1766049 times)

Dazel

Re: ALS.TO - Altius Minerals
« Reply #190 on: May 09, 2011, 07:46:53 AM »
Average price.

I will tell you when I am done buying...

Dazel.

Dazel

« Reply #191 on: May 09, 2011, 04:46:54 PM »

Liberty,

I will tell you that we have been buyers just about everyday. Looks like we all may have been bidding!

This stock is pretty illiquid. We have contemplated talking to management about their buyback program. They are in negotiations all the time...Alderon, NLRC, and the other ( active projects)..so it would make sense to do automatic buybacks that are regular in nature and are not done on new information. However, that woluld have hurt all of last week as they would have taken out most of the bids out.They are only allowed 9k in shares a day I believe though. In 2008, they took out 10% of their outstanding shares which was a great use of capital. We would like to see them do something similar in the future. We think it is a great use of their cash hoard...at these levels we think it may be their best use of capital.

Dazel.

Dazel

« Reply #192 on: May 09, 2011, 05:02:40 PM »
Altius share buy backs.

http://www.altiusminerals.com/files/PR0211-NCIB.pdf
9200 shares is their daily limit (above)...

http://www.altiusminerals.com/files/PR0812.pdf

This was their load up on shares below $6...great purchases!
http://www.altiusminerals.com/files/PR0817-NCIB.pdf

interesting that in 2007 that averge purchase price was above $13 (below)
http://www.altiusminerals.com/files/PR0717.pdf

Dazel

Dazel

« Reply #193 on: May 09, 2011, 06:14:49 PM »

Mr.B,

Here is your answer...closing (cash) May 12th. The final clearance was given by China today.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Cliffs-Natural-Resources-Inc-prnews-3359078098.html?x=0&.v=1

...I would think Alderon would be in play on May 13th...from both parties...the market liked Cliffs purchase as it was great for the stock...why not pick up more reserves next door? As for input or interest from the other parties we shall see.

Dazel

Dazel

« Reply #194 on: May 11, 2011, 05:39:15 AM »

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #195 on: May 11, 2011, 06:42:12 AM »

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Alderon-Intersects-29-Iron-iw-657365906.html?x=0&.v=1

Alderon continues to have positive drill results.

Dazel.

That sounds like potentially great news. When they say:

"The goal for the updated resource is to delineate 800 million to 1 billion tonnes at a grade between 28-32% iron ore."

Those tonnages are huge. Can you explain a bit what they mean here? Is that just what they're looking for, or do they have some confidence that this is what they can find based on those early results, but it's not yet a sure thing?
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | This podcast episode is a must-listen

BRK7

« Reply #196 on: May 11, 2011, 11:54:19 AM »
Altius and Alderon are both down about 4% today.

I recognize that both the TSX and TSXV are also down today, though not nearly 4%.

I'm new to the story here, but, given that ALS and ADV are both selling off relative to the broader market, I would conclude that the information contained in Alderon's press release today may have been viewed as disappointing by the market.

Maybe I'm oversimplifying.  Can anyone offer a context in which to interpret the Alderon press release?  What are the market expectations in terms of output from Alderon’s mining activities?

Dazel

« Reply #197 on: May 11, 2011, 02:02:47 PM »

Liberty,

Alderon's site is excellent...it compares grades and resource size to TCL and to Cliffs who are next door...their iron type are virtually the same at Bloom Lake compared to Alderon...big difference however, TLC should close tomorrow and is producing 8mty or (million tones year). The 1 billion ton target is being drilled now and today was another big step towards that goal.

Dazel.

Dazel

« Reply #198 on: May 11, 2011, 02:09:20 PM »
"Altius and Alderon are both down about 4% today.

I recognize that both the TSX and TSXV are also down today, though not nearly 4%.

I'm new to the story here, but, given that ALS and ADV are both selling off relative to the broader market, I would conclude that the information contained in Alderon's press release today may have been viewed as disappointing by the market.

Maybe I'm oversimplifying.  Can anyone offer a context in which to interpret the Alderon press release?  What are the market expectations in terms of output from Alderon’s mining activities?"

I can never explain the market behaviour as we know people sell on emotion. Alderon actually opened up until the commodity complex fell apart. Oil was down 4%. Altius is very illiquid and moves quickly in both directions. As I said in the other post I would look at Alderon"s website they have done a good job explaining what they are looking for, where they are in Labrador (Thompson consolidated and Cliffs are next door...look at the map they have posted it is very detailed... and they do good comparison's of themselves vs Thompson consolidated. In a perfect world that is who they want to become.

Dazel.

MrB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #199 on: May 13, 2011, 08:30:04 AM »
Dazel,
I think we're missing each other here. I'm referring to the what appears to be the 19.9% stake purchased by WISCO in 2009 for $240m, as mentioned in your earlier post.

That deal was done and dusted in 2009 correct?
If so then how much cash, presumably $240m, has changed hands?
If not, why not?

Count me a skeptic when it comes to most of the high flying deals by Chinese companies. I've like to double check for REAL transfer of value. From your description, it sounds like it was a simple cash for shares deal. So, that is why I asked the question about the cash. 

Anyway, not important. It sounds if you did your homework.