Author Topic: ALS.TO - Altius Minerals  (Read 1744235 times)

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
Re: ALS.TO - Altius Minerals
« Reply #280 on: July 25, 2011, 09:18:43 AM »
I agree with Dazel.

The beauty here is that the Alderon shares and the royalty complement each other. The royalty is worth more because they can push for a more advantageous sale because of their stock.

I added to my position this morning :)
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | This podcast episode is a must-listen

jjsto

« Reply #281 on: July 29, 2011, 01:54:19 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  My feeling was that if they define 1B+, finish the scoping study, and secure off-take agreements on favorable terms the stock could be worth more than the royalty.  But, I guess it doesnt really matter since the market is valuing the royalty at 0 anyway.  The fact that they own both definitely puts them in a favorable position.  I think this is the stock I feel most comfortable with in my portfolio in terms of risk/reward.  I added these last couple of days as well. 

Dazel

« Reply #282 on: August 02, 2011, 08:33:27 AM »

RGLD- hit another 52 week high today...It is nice to see that even in this environment Altius' cash and marketable securities is not only holding tough but growing...it would be a very nice suprise to see some of the other gold holdings they have get some notice...including the potential royalty holdings.

Dazel.

Dazel

« Reply #283 on: August 02, 2011, 08:43:30 AM »

http://www.mbironoreindex.com/

iron ore prices continue to rise....you would never know it if you read any news in north america!

Dazel

cwericb

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #284 on: August 03, 2011, 05:38:39 AM »
Interesting interview in MacLean's Magazine with Peter Munk (Barrick Gold) on mining and Canada. Says that Canada can be the world centre for the mining industry and also some interesting comments about Chinese future demand.

http://www2.macleans.ca/2011/07/27/on-immigrant-dreams-the-importance-of-failure-and-why-the-future-belongs-to-canada/
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 05:47:43 AM by cwericb »
Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason. - Mark Twain

Dazel

« Reply #285 on: August 03, 2011, 06:54:02 AM »

cwericb,

Thank you for the article it was a great read. I would recommend Peter Munk's autobiography. I t is a tough read because his business history is something else. Interesting that he said he was anti gold bug and that is how he built his business! If you look at his deals in the 80's, they were historic. He sold futures right at the top and avoided the fall out of the 20 year decline in the gold price. I will be looking for a similar pattern this time around...when smart money starts hedging the gold price  into the future that is. Barrick bought out their hedges a couple of years ago for about $3 billion. So he is betting long on gold for now.

Dazel.

Dazel

« Reply #286 on: August 03, 2011, 07:01:30 AM »

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #287 on: August 03, 2011, 08:53:11 AM »
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Alderon-Metallurgical-iw-2155562494.html?x=0&.v=1

Alderon moving forward.

Dazel.

I don't understand all the technical stuff, but it seems like good news just based on this:

"The positive metallurgical results are another significant step in bringing the Kami Project into operation," says Brian Penney, Chief Operating Officer of Alderon. "The concentrate particle size distribution indicated by the testwork demonstrates that magnetic separation will provide a concentrate acceptable for market demands. The concentrate is expected to have very low deleterious elements with phosphorous being less than 0.01% and alumina at only 0.20%. Manganese is within acceptable range at 0.75%, which will allow for the broadest possible market for the Kami product as it is well below the critical 1% cut-off."
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | This podcast episode is a must-listen

jjsto

« Reply #288 on: August 03, 2011, 09:41:11 AM »
Strange that Alderon would be down 8% on the same day as the news release...

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #289 on: August 03, 2011, 10:02:31 AM »
Strange that Alderon would be down 8% on the same day as the news release...

My guess is people are selling stocks that are seen as 'risky' pretty indiscriminately these days..