Author Topic: ALS.TO - Altius Minerals  (Read 1744000 times)

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
Re: ALS.TO - Altius Minerals
« Reply #520 on: February 14, 2012, 07:02:55 AM »
Thanks Abily. I knew it was something huge like that. How realistic that amount is depends on what the conditions to getting it are, though, but Altius has been known to under-promise and over-deliver, so we'll see.
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | This podcast episode is a must-listen

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #521 on: February 14, 2012, 08:10:44 AM »
Wow, very high volume on Alderon. I wonder if it's the Sept-iles announcement that is making people that excited.
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | This podcast episode is a must-listen

Dazel

« Reply #522 on: February 15, 2012, 04:29:33 AM »
http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/century-iron-mines-altius-minerals-announce-completion-acquisition-century-altius-labrador-tsx-fer-1589894.htm

More commentary from the old release....for those that have not been watching this board...Wisco is the majority owner of Century iron ore... Wisco financed TC1...and made a fortune...They have to be looking at TC2...they are already partners with Altius at Century. For a quiet year it seems the Altius team has been literally moving mountains.
TC1-Thompson consolidated iron
TC2-Alderon Iron mines

Dazel

Dazel

« Reply #523 on: February 15, 2012, 04:40:22 AM »

We will post what our updated value of Altius is soon..when I get back from Aruba...but it sure is not in the teens....they have created a lot of value in the last couple of years. Remember these properties were staked in 2003. Not unlike what happened at Fortescue. We see Altius as the Leucadia of that deal. No risk of loss of capital. Whoever can make these properties producers will become the home run hitter aka Andrew Forrest and Wisco... we will get Leucadia type returns.

But the difference is Leucadia put up $400 million...Dalton and his team have used their brain, hard work and very little capital...so their return in our opinion is a grand slam! Our kind of people.

Dazel.

Dazel

« Reply #524 on: February 16, 2012, 05:33:42 AM »
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Cliffs-Natural-Resources-Inc-prnews-474293466.html?x=0

Cliffs year was highlighted by "the transformational acquisition of Thompson Consolidated"  or TC1.

Who will be transformed by TC2?

Dazel.

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #525 on: February 16, 2012, 06:57:35 AM »
http://www.alderonironore.com/_resources/news/2012-02-16-NewsRelease.pdf

Alderon Continues to Receive Positive Drill Results in Preparation for Feasibility Study

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #526 on: February 16, 2012, 01:44:44 PM »

We will post what our updated value of Altius is soon..when I get back from Aruba...but it sure is not in the teens....they have created a lot of value in the last couple of years.

Thanks, I'm definitely curious to see what kind of IV range you are seeing.

Dazel

« Reply #527 on: February 17, 2012, 09:21:42 AM »

The sun must have fried my brain...we will not be posting our evaluation...if you read through these threads and you have a grade 2 math education you can figure it out...we have build a position over 3 years and it would be ridiculous of us to create more competition for us to continue buying shares as we have...the stock is too illiquid and we have seen our hard work as well as all of yours all over the internet. Our position has become too large to express opinions..so our posts from now on will be facts.
Happy buying and good luck to all.

Dazel

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #528 on: February 17, 2012, 09:42:06 AM »
It's entirely up to you. Personally, I think I prefered the sun-fried Dazel, though  ;)

My estimate of Altius's IV is fuzzy on the upside, but the downside is very clear -- extremely well protected, which makes me comfortable. If something really bad happens to Alderon and Paladin's CMB, it probably means the industry as a whole is depressed enough for Altius to deploy capital in very attractive opportunities (both in royalties and equities, and maybe repurchases), and if Alderon and Paladin go forward as planned, it should be a big homerun. In the meantime, Voisey's Bay is more than enough to fund operations/exploration...

I can't quantify the upside precisely, but the range is extremely attractive and I'm confident in management's ability to do what is best for the shareholder.

Dazel

« Reply #529 on: February 22, 2012, 05:15:13 AM »
http://www.labradorironore.com/Corporate-Information/default.aspx

You can plug numbers in using Labrador iron ore royalty to get an idea of what Altius' royalty at Alderon could look like. As large as The iron ore company of Canada is they are producing 15m tonnes of ore right now (they are raising production) less than the 16m that Alderon is planning...we are using these numbers for comparability. Labador iron ore royalty has a 7% payout compared to Altius' 3% and they own 15% equity in the Iron ore company of Canada....their market cap is $2.3b and they do not have any other assets. Keep in mind that they have paid out $100's of millions of dollars in dividends already...$134m last year!

I hated to leave you hanging Liberty.

Dazel.