Author Topic: ALS.TO - Altius Minerals  (Read 1744253 times)

alertmeipp

• Lifetime Member
Re: ALS.TO - Altius Minerals
« Reply #640 on: May 15, 2012, 07:01:19 PM »
Buyback can start now

biaggio

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #641 on: May 15, 2012, 07:49:48 PM »
Looking to add.

Interesting article on "contraction" starting to be seen in China.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment/ambroseevans_pritchard/9263196/World-edges-closer-to-deflationary-slump-as-money-contracts-in-China.html

Can t be good for iron + other commodity producers-in the short term- but I am betting that we will get inflation after a brief episode of some deflation- but who knows?

ALS seems to be in good shape either way-will do well with alderon iron deposit with inflation. Large cash on balance sheet could be put to work in deflationary time.

Will average in a bit with further price weakness in near future.

roughlyright

« Reply #642 on: May 15, 2012, 08:13:10 PM »
Hello guys,

I am already long on Altius for a while and added more today. Alderon now dropped to $2.47. Do you think Alderon provides a better margin of safety, because now we have a Chinese partner in place and the resource estimates look great? What do you think is a conservative value of Alderon?

Roughlyright

Dazel

« Reply #643 on: May 16, 2012, 06:03:07 AM »
We like what is happening....tough on some to see the market price their ownership of shares at a lower rate...
We do not feel that way....oil falling helps the world...it brings down costs everywhere...we love to see iron ore fall to 100.... Because it will take high cost producers out of the market...remember we will not be producing for a couple of years...and a fall in commodities will be extremely helpful for input costs in building the mine at Alderon and Aurora. Alderon like Thompson Consolidated will go ahead regardless of what happens...remember Thompson went ahead in 2009!!!!! We have a $40 a ton cost...but the build out costs can be brought down significantly by a pull back in their input costs. The inflationary pressure in china and India....Europe is enormous...this will be a helpful pullback....we do not want china going full speed ahead now...we want to see it in 2 years when we are looking production. Alderon's partner is not looking at this year or next they are looking at the next decade...they have to...the money for the buildout is there.

The Biggest opportunity we see is that Altius buys significant amounts of shares back but more
importantly we get a chance to allocate capital and get a return.... An 80% return on $100m allocated similar to the IRC transaction....Royal Gold's biggest royalty is still Voisey Bay! These guys are similar to Leucadia they will not buy unless the get a 25 to 50 cent dollar and they have been extremely patient. We would like to see a return on our liquid capital....aaa and then the royalties...which will nirvana.

We think that Jeremy Grantham's thoughts have come true and this will be the opportunity of a life time to buy "things" because of the pull back...Leucadia agrees...and we have the best in the business "Altius" sitting on a mountain of cash waiting for it....Batter up here come the strikes down the middle of the plate.

Disclaimer...we have only added shares since we took a position several years ago...we are here for
the long haul.

Dazel.

It may not seem like it but Altius is perfectly positioned for this...as their management stated llast  August "bring on he blood bath"....they did not get the opportunity there but we are seeing commodity stocks get crushed right now....they have gotten what they hoped for.

Dazel

« Reply #644 on: May 16, 2012, 06:17:47 AM »
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/altius-announces-establishment-automatic-repurchase-120000481.html

This is great news....it allows them to do material events...ie negotiation on deals etc...and a third party broker will be able to buy shares....without knowledge of what is going on with deals.

Dazel.

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #645 on: May 16, 2012, 07:28:29 AM »
We like what is happening....tough on some to see the market price their ownership of shares at a lower rate...
We do not feel that way....oil falling helps the world...it brings down costs everywhere...we love to see iron ore fall to 100.... Because it will take high cost producers out of the market...remember we will not be producing for a couple of years...and a fall in commodities will be extremely helpful for input costs in building the mine at Alderon and Aurora. Alderon like Thompson Consolidated will go ahead regardless of what happens...remember Thompson went ahead in 2009!!!!! We have a $40 a ton cost...but the build out costs can be brought down significantly by a pull back in their input costs. The inflationary pressure in china and India....Europe is enormous...this will be a helpful pullback....we do not want china going full speed ahead now...we want to see it in 2 years when we are looking production. Alderon's partner is not looking at this year or next they are looking at the next decade...they have to...the money for the buildout is there

I like the way you think. Turmoil right now can indeed lower Alderon and Aurora's costs, remove competitors, and allow them to deploy capital.

Good news on the automatic repurchase plan. The end result should be that they will be able to buy back more than they otherwise could, so can't hurt.
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | This podcast episode is a must-listen

alertmeipp

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #646 on: May 16, 2012, 05:46:24 PM »
hmm.. they stop buying since Jan and now setting this up. I wonder if they have material info going on.

value-is-what-you-get

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #647 on: May 16, 2012, 06:41:37 PM »
hmm.. they stop buying since Jan and now setting this up. I wonder if they have material info going on.

Is there any other plausible explanation for setting something like this up?  Sounds like something cooking to me

alertmeipp

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #648 on: May 16, 2012, 06:59:16 PM »
It sure looks like they are working on deals, Otherwise, why give out the control.

bathtime

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #649 on: May 16, 2012, 07:12:47 PM »
Does Altius have a new website? I don't remember it being such a nice design:

http://www.altiusminerals.com/