Author Topic: AMZN - Amazon.com Inc.  (Read 651289 times)

rkbabang

• Lifetime Member
Re: AMZN - Amazon.com Inc.
« Reply #110 on: February 06, 2013, 11:40:18 AM »
here is an example, everyones favorite book

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Tap-Dancing-Work-Practically-Everything/product/1591845734

price changes 15.95 to 18.45 within span of 1 mo

this is what i mean by, i never know everytime i get on amazon if the price i am seeing is the best/good price, espeically for items i don't buy very often.

hy

I know what you are saying, but if you need toilet paper today you buy the best deal you can find today.  It is of no consequence what the price was last month or next week.   Think about this statement:

"here is an example, everyones favorite stock <insert price quote>. price changes 15.95 to 18.45 within span of 1 mo. this is what i mean by, i never know everytime i log onto my broker if the price i am seeing is the best/good price, espeically for companies i don't buy very often."

hyten1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #111 on: February 06, 2013, 11:44:29 AM »
rkbabang

i hear ya, i guess we are just different, i would wait for the good price

as for things i need right away, i usually buy in bulk and i usually start checking prices before i really need it, so i have the luxury of waiting ... for sometime, obviously not forever.

somethings i wait for a while like the flat screen, if i bought the day i was thinking of buying vs waited for 3 months i saved over $300 :)

what can i say i am cheap, obviously i don't do this for everything

i also comparison shop, so sometimes walmart have i best value (i get it there) sometimes amzn as better value (i get it there)

this is almost like a sport, i wonder how much i really save at the end of the day :)

hy

hyten1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #112 on: February 06, 2013, 11:50:16 AM »
sorry i can't resist look at this tv

with last 1 mo, price range from 999.99 to 1400!!!

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Samsung-UN60EH6000-60-Inch-1080p-120Hz/product/B0074FGWJC

rkbabang

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #113 on: February 06, 2013, 01:29:00 PM »
rkbabang

i hear ya, i guess we are just different, i would wait for the good price

We are not that different at all, I sometimes spend months researching a purchase and waiting for a price.  Just not usually on toilet paper.
My point was that I expect prices on any property to shift back and forth as supply and demand shift.  This is true just as much for toilet paper as it is for real estate or stocks.  I'd rather Amazon always quote me their best possible price rather than stick with a higher one.

hyten1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #114 on: February 06, 2013, 01:47:01 PM »
rkbabang,

i hear ya, agree.

hy

rkbabang

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #115 on: February 07, 2013, 12:45:22 PM »
Amazon.com is creating a digital currency.  It looks like it will be only for Kindle apps at first, but it is interesting that they are calling them "Amazon Coins" not "Kindle Coins" so they may have larger plans.

Introducing Amazon Coins: A New Virtual Currency for Kindle Fire

JRH

« Reply #116 on: February 07, 2013, 01:57:36 PM »
Amazon.com is creating a digital currency.  It looks like it will be only for Kindle apps at first, but it is interesting that they are calling them "Amazon Coins" not "Kindle Coins" so they may have larger plans.

Introducing Amazon Coins: A New Virtual Currency for Kindle Fire

They should announce a set supply and commit to growing the "Amazon Coin base" at a steady 3% a year, and gold would have some new competition for a store of purchasing power. ;)

I'll refrain from making any jokes about Amazon placing full-reserve banking rules on the Amazon Coin, but anyone else can jump in if they want to.
Twitter: @D3302

wellmont

« Reply #117 on: February 07, 2013, 02:34:31 PM »
is this a way to confuse customers by getting them to purchase in virtual currency forcing them to translate back to real dollars (which of course they won't do). I submit that it's also a way to capture float. unless someone can explain that it's not?

rkbabang

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #118 on: February 08, 2013, 06:24:03 AM »
is this a way to confuse customers by getting them to purchase in virtual currency forcing them to translate back to real dollars (which of course they won't do). I submit that it's also a way to capture float. unless someone can explain that it's not?

I'm sure you are correct.  I wonder though in addition to that if they also plan on competing with paypal someday.  Allowing exchange of these outside of Amazon.com.  Just speculation.  Of course if they want to keep the number of Amazon Coins to a known quantity backed by something of value (books?) and let the exchange rate with other currencies float in the market to compete with bitcoins or something like that, that would be interesting as well.  I've never had a position in AMZN, but I find it a fascinating company to watch.

JRH

« Reply #119 on: February 08, 2013, 07:01:57 AM »

I'm sure you are correct.  I wonder though in addition to that if they also plan on competing with paypal someday.  Allowing exchange of these outside of Amazon.com.  Just speculation.  Of course if they want to keep the number of Amazon Coins to a known quantity backed by something of value (books?) and let the exchange rate with other currencies float in the market to compete with bitcoins or something like that, that would be interesting as well.  I've never had a position in AMZN, but I find it a fascinating company to watch.

I'm 99% sure they would fix the price (exchange rate) and let the quantity float, rather than the opposite.  Far more friendly for users and easier to understand.  Having said that, it is interesting to consider the possibility of a new floating currency (fixed quantity, floating price) being introduced by Amazon.  One of the key characteristics a currency has to have to become accepted is to be easily exchangeable for things people commonly want or need.  I'd argue that Amazon (along with eBay and maybe Walmart?) are in as good a position to do that as anyone in the consumer market by integrating the exchange of currency back to dollars and the purchase of X good for delivery into a single mouse click.  The clicker doesn't even have to know the intermediate step is occurring.  Maybe all they know is that the money they were holding in Amazon Coins held its value better than their checking account.  And heck, maybe the intermediate step never even occurs if the seller (whether it be Amazon or someone else) would rather just get paid in Amazon Coins.

All playful conjecture.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 07:05:11 AM by JRH »
Twitter: @D3302