Author Topic: AMZN - Amazon.com Inc.  (Read 653174 times)

oddballstocks

• Lifetime Member
    • Oddball Stocks Blog
Re: AMZN - Amazon.com Inc.
« Reply #2220 on: January 09, 2019, 07:06:46 AM »
Is Amazon loosing it's edge?  On my last two orders, it took over 14 days for them to be filled, even after paying for one day shipping on one and two day shipping on the other.  They did refund the shipping, BUT only after I squaked.
I have started ordering from their competitor and it is cheaper and shipping is free for normal and about 1/2 (of Amazons ) for one day

Had this revelation about a year ago.  Since then annual spend on Amazon has gone from deep in the thousands to whatever the cost of Prime is per month.

I had one shipment languish for a week before shipping.  I called and argued with Amazon that it wasn't two day, asked for refunds.  They said two day referred to when it was placed on the truck locally.  My item was in a warehouse in Washington and had to be transported to PA.  They said moving goods between Amazon warehouses didn't count against the two days.  It was frustrating and soured me.  Most of my "two day" orders are on the 3-4 day realm.  I live about three miles from the downtown of a major metro of 2 million people and two hours (both east and west) of their giant regional distribution hubs.

It isn't that their logistics stink, I think they just don't care anymore.

The other nail in the coffin is the broken search.  We spent an entire night on Amazon looking at kids Halloween costumes.  Most are junk or repeat listings with slight variances with different prices.  In the end we became frustrated, gave up, and purchased something locally for less than what online would have been.  Could have saved those hours.

My general rule of thumb is I prefer to support a local merchant if their price is within 10-20% of online.  Over the past two years most merchants have started to match online prices, so there is no penalty.  The upside is if I have issues I can take it in person and it gets fixed or replaced quickly.

I have family that lives in a city with two hours deliveries.  They also have cash coming out of their ears and the amount of junk they buy constantly is blinding.  If Amazon can rope high earning families into this lifestyle of "Alexa can you order me bananas in two hours?" and somehow make money on tiny deliveries they have a bright future ahead.  Said family orders anything and everything, all on a whim, all the time. They are a poster family for the American consumerist disposable lifestyle.  If I had to guess I'd say they're in the $1k-2k per month range on Amazon purchases.
The ultimate edge for bank investors: http://www.completebankdata.com

Jurgis

• Porfolio
« Reply #2221 on: January 09, 2019, 08:41:48 AM »
I might be counterexample, but I am in totally opposite camp from oddballstocks and bookie71.

Amazon was and is great. We buy a lot of stuff there.

Yeah, some two day shipping is not two day, but I don't care mostly and IMO it's always disclosed when you buy. I may have one or two deliveries that took longer but most actually take shorter. Well, I usually also take the coupon offer for slower shipping and the slower shipping is faster than they promise.

Yeah, for some items search is not easy. Trivial example: we were looking for magnifying glass. This is totally Chinese-made-low-quality-item-hell: tons of Chinese "brands", tons of (fake?) reviews, etc. Ultimately we chose something, ordered it and it seems OK. Similar experience with car phone holder.

OTOH, you can find good stuff. E.g. I bought a high quality Japanese bread knife for a very good price. Was shipped from Japan. Took 3 weeks to arrive. It's top notch bread knife. Pretty sure it's not fake or knockoff and IMO way better than a lot of locally sold (or Amazon sold) American crap ;). Cut off half of my finger with it, but that's another story.  ::)

Yes, there are items that we buy elsewhere. Food pricing still varies a lot: from below Walmart/local-supermarket to 2x Walmart/local-supermarket. You either have to comparison price or just eyeball. We don't buy clothes on Amazon because it is tough to evaluate the quality and sizes. YMMV though. When we had to get a gaming computer within two days, we went with local Microcenter. We almost always price compare anything expensive.
"Before you can be rich, you must be poor." - Nef Anyo
--------------------------------------------------------------------
"American History X", "Milk", "The Insider", "Dirty Money", "LBJ"

bookie71

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2222 on: January 09, 2019, 10:21:53 AM »
It's not the two day shipping, but not filling the order for a week or two (one time over a month).  Shipping isn't the problem.  Also the pricing isn't the best.
Always remember, Pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered.

rkbabang

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2223 on: January 09, 2019, 10:39:17 AM »
I might be counterexample, but I am in totally opposite camp from oddballstocks and bookie71.

Amazon was and is great. We buy a lot of stuff there.

Yeah, some two day shipping is not two day, but I don't care mostly and IMO it's always disclosed when you buy. I may have one or two deliveries that took longer but most actually take shorter. Well, I usually also take the coupon offer for slower shipping and the slower shipping is faster than they promise.

Yeah, for some items search is not easy. Trivial example: we were looking for magnifying glass. This is totally Chinese-made-low-quality-item-hell: tons of Chinese "brands", tons of (fake?) reviews, etc. Ultimately we chose something, ordered it and it seems OK. Similar experience with car phone holder.

OTOH, you can find good stuff. E.g. I bought a high quality Japanese bread knife for a very good price. Was shipped from Japan. Took 3 weeks to arrive. It's top notch bread knife. Pretty sure it's not fake or knockoff and IMO way better than a lot of locally sold (or Amazon sold) American crap ;). Cut off half of my finger with it, but that's another story.  ::)

Yes, there are items that we buy elsewhere. Food pricing still varies a lot: from below Walmart/local-supermarket to 2x Walmart/local-supermarket. You either have to comparison price or just eyeball. We don't buy clothes on Amazon because it is tough to evaluate the quality and sizes. YMMV though. When we had to get a gaming computer within two days, we went with local Microcenter. We almost always price compare anything expensive.

My experience is closer to Jurgis than to the others.  The expected arrival date is always listed before you buy it.  So you always know what to expect.  I can't tell you the number of times I search online and off, sometimes for days on more expensive items, and I go back and order it from Amazon even if it is slightly more expensive there.  I know the Amazon return policy is so much better than most places that I just feel safer ordering things from them.

As for the hour it takes to find some things.  How long does it take you to get your keys, get in the car, drive to your nearest walmart, find a parking spot, walk into the store, find what you are looking for, picking the one they have because you have no other choice, walk to the registers, wait in line, check out, walk back to your car, drive back to your house, carry the item back into your house. 

Unless walmart is right next door, you know exactly where the item is in the store, and there are no lines at checkout, it is very unlikely that you can do all of that in much less than an hour.

PLynchJr

« Reply #2224 on: January 09, 2019, 10:56:53 AM »
Between work and home I place over 200 orders a year from Amazon (and many dozens at other online retailers).  Amazon was awesome and still is awesome.  Best overall place to shop without question.

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #2225 on: January 09, 2019, 11:46:28 AM »
Between work and home I place over 200 orders a year from Amazon (and many dozens at other online retailers).  Amazon was awesome and still is awesome.  Best overall place to shop without question.

I've been buying things on Amazon since about 2002, and I think I've bought more from them every single year sequentially with a pretty big acceleration after we became Prime members. Hard to think of another retailer where I've bought more every year. Costco has a nice share of spending too, but it's more constant from year to year.
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | This podcast episode is a must-listen

Jurgis

• Porfolio
« Reply #2226 on: January 09, 2019, 01:04:00 PM »
It's not the two day shipping, but not filling the order for a week or two (one time over a month).  Shipping isn't the problem.  Also the pricing isn't the best.

If it's not a secret: are you in US? what did you order that had such long delays? Edit additional questions: were the purchases during holidays? was there any indication of "out of stock / will be available in ... " during order? Was the order from Amazon, 3rd party or 3rd party handled by Amazon?

I think I've seen order delays with furniture...
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 01:27:18 PM by Jurgis »
"Before you can be rich, you must be poor." - Nef Anyo
--------------------------------------------------------------------
"American History X", "Milk", "The Insider", "Dirty Money", "LBJ"

sarganaga

« Reply #2227 on: January 09, 2019, 04:59:03 PM »
Mr Bezos is probably going to be very distracted going forward. https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-01-09/meet-mistress-who-will-cost-bezos-70-billion. Does anyone think this circus will  have any material effect on Amazon?

FWIW We've been Amazon customers for over 15 years with very good delivery experience in Las Vegas & Southern California.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 05:39:27 PM by sarganaga »

Foreign Tuffett

« Reply #2228 on: January 10, 2019, 07:48:06 AM »
Maybe MacKenzie Bezos Tuttle will go activist and demand a board seat after the divorce is finalized? Apparently they didn't have a prenup, so she's probably going to walk away from the divorce owning a huge chunk of Amazon stock.

rkbabang

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2229 on: January 10, 2019, 11:07:16 AM »
Amazon acquired a cloud backup company called Cloud Endure.  I wonder if they will still offer their services on the Google Cloud, Azure, and vmware?