Author Topic: AMZN - Amazon.com Inc.  (Read 632580 times)

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
Re: AMZN - Amazon.com Inc.
« Reply #2410 on: June 27, 2019, 10:27:42 AM »
I'm a little late with this one, sorry if it was already posted, but here's a 24-min interview with Andy Jassy, head of AWS:

https://ondemand.ceraweek.com/detail/videos/cw19event-video-manual-playlist/video/6012631156001/andrew-r.-jassy-in-technology-leadership-dialogue
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | This podcast episode is a must-listen

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #2411 on: July 10, 2019, 08:42:04 AM »
https://venturebeat.com/2019/07/10/amazon-and-leyou-will-make-a-lord-of-the-rings-pc-and-console-game/

Amazon Game Studios will collaborate with Hong Kong-based Leyou Technologies and Middle-earth Enterprises to develop and publish a free-to-play massively multiplayer online (MMO) game based on the milestone fantasy literary work The Lord of the Rings

Constantly branching out and trying new things...
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | This podcast episode is a must-listen

Castanza

« Reply #2412 on: July 10, 2019, 09:54:09 AM »
https://venturebeat.com/2019/07/10/amazon-and-leyou-will-make-a-lord-of-the-rings-pc-and-console-game/

Amazon Game Studios will collaborate with Hong Kong-based Leyou Technologies and Middle-earth Enterprises to develop and publish a free-to-play massively multiplayer online (MMO) game based on the milestone fantasy literary work The Lord of the Rings

Constantly branching out and trying new things...

Free to play.....meaning loot boxes and other in-game purchases.....further meaning consumers will hate it. Hopefully they think of a solution to this as $EA has been ripped to shreds over this. Not to mention the lawsuits they are incurring. LOTRO already exists and has a good following. Shadow of Middle Earth failed massively this past year. The Lord of the Rings series has been covered extensively across all gaming platforms. I wonder why they still think there is a market for this specific game? Player base seems highly fractured.

Gaming in general is an industry I'm staying out of. Seems highly fractured and consumers are constantly disappointing with AAA releases. Reminds me a bit of 1983 video game crisis where everyone is putting out the next best game. You know there are issues when game makers are struggling to develop new themes and are instead preying on a now slightly older generations nostalgia from the early to mid 2000's for some quick sales. Until there is something truly new in the market I'll park my money elsewhere. But it's Amazon so who knows!

Castanza

glorysk87

« Reply #2413 on: July 10, 2019, 06:41:55 PM »

Free to play.....meaning loot boxes and other in-game purchases.....further meaning consumers will hate it. Hopefully they think of a solution to this as $EA has been ripped to shreds over this. Not to mention the lawsuits they are incurring. LOTRO already exists and has a good following. Shadow of Middle Earth failed massively this past year. The Lord of the Rings series has been covered extensively across all gaming platforms. I wonder why they still think there is a market for this specific game? Player base seems highly fractured.

Gaming in general is an industry I'm staying out of. Seems highly fractured and consumers are constantly disappointing with AAA releases. Reminds me a bit of 1983 video game crisis where everyone is putting out the next best game. You know there are issues when game makers are struggling to develop new themes and are instead preying on a now slightly older generations nostalgia from the early to mid 2000's for some quick sales. Until there is something truly new in the market I'll park my money elsewhere. But it's Amazon so who knows!

Castanza

Lots of stuff you got wrong in this reply...

Free to play means consumers will hate it? 4 of the top 5 MOST PLAYED games in the US are free-to-play. In fact, only 3 of the top 10 are paid games at all. I see the statement all over this forum that F2P means loot boxes. It doesn't. League of Legends, Fortnite, CS GO, Dota 2 - all F2P and all monetized via cosmetic purchases, not loot boxes. And gamers love that stuff.

Gaming industry seems highly fractured? Over the past ten years it's becoming increasingly consolidated, and likely will continue to consolidate as the gravity of the large publishers sucks in smaller publishers and dev teams. The top 10 publishers have almost 50% of the market share and that number is only increasing.

Consumers are constantly disappointed with AAA releases? Red Dead Redemption 2 sold 24 million copies in like 6 months. God of War sold 10 million copies last year. There are some extremely highly anticipated games, some with new IP, coming in the next year or two (Cyberpunk, Death Stranding, Last of Us 2, etc).

Frankly, sounds like you're just shooting from the hip on this response and haven't really done any work in the space.

Castanza

« Reply #2414 on: July 11, 2019, 07:48:08 AM »

Castanza

Lots of stuff you got wrong in this reply...

Free to play means consumers will hate it? 4 of the top 5 MOST PLAYED games in the US are free-to-play. In fact, only 3 of the top 10 are paid games at all. I see the statement all over this forum that F2P means loot boxes. It doesn't. League of Legends, Fortnite, CS GO, Dota 2 - all F2P and all monetized via cosmetic purchases, not loot boxes. And gamers love that stuff.

Gaming industry seems highly fractured? Over the past ten years it's becoming increasingly consolidated, and likely will continue to consolidate as the gravity of the large publishers sucks in smaller publishers and dev teams. The top 10 publishers have almost 50% of the market share and that number is only increasing.

Consumers are constantly disappointed with AAA releases? Red Dead Redemption 2 sold 24 million copies in like 6 months. God of War sold 10 million copies last year. There are some extremely highly anticipated games, some with new IP, coming in the next year or two (Cyberpunk, Death Stranding, Last of Us 2, etc).

Frankly, sounds like you're just shooting from the hip on this response and haven't really done any work in the space.

We probably should continue this discussion in another thread as not to clutter the Amazon one.

http://www.cornerofberkshireandfairfax.ca/forum/general-discussion/video-gaming-industry/
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 07:53:48 AM by Castanza »

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #2415 on: July 17, 2019, 06:48:04 AM »
"Prime Day 2019 Surpassed Black Friday and Cyber Monday Combined"

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190717005462/en/