Author Topic: AMZN - Amazon.com Inc.  (Read 624105 times)

valueInv

Re: AMZN - Amazon.com Inc.
« Reply #251 on: October 24, 2013, 10:36:40 PM »
This shows you that if you have a good narrative and say very little about reality, investors will assume the best:

http://venturebeat.com/2013/10/24/red-is-the-new-green-for-amazon-shareholders-despite-these-relevant-unanswered-questions/

Reminds me of mushrooms.

muscleman

« Reply #252 on: October 24, 2013, 10:46:21 PM »
This shows you that if you have a good narrative and say very little about reality, investors will assume the best:

http://venturebeat.com/2013/10/24/red-is-the-new-green-for-amazon-shareholders-despite-these-relevant-unanswered-questions/

Reminds me of mushrooms.

I would recommend you read George Soros' theory of reflexivity. The fact that AMZN is extremely over priced enables them to issue stocks to finance every thing. Their pay is really good compared to MSFT and Oracle, so they can always attract top talents. The more they grow, the more overpriced the stocks are, and the easier for them to issue stocks to finance everything in order to kill competitors and gain moat. That is exactly what I would do if I were the CEO.
I don't see this self reinforcing loop coming to an end anytime soon yet.
As a value investor, I agree that they are overpriced and I am not interested in buying at current levels, but I am currently considering to join their company and get a good chunk of stock awards. If my prediction is right, these overpriced stocks will become even more overpriced in 3 years. If they don't, I am still doing fine because the majority chunk of these stocks will be vested to me in the 3rd year, and I will get very good cash bonus for 1st and 2nd year. :)

valueInv

« Reply #253 on: October 24, 2013, 10:52:27 PM »

Reminds me of mushrooms.

I would recommend you read George Soros' theory of reflexivity. The fact that AMZN is extremely over priced enables them to issue stocks to finance every thing. Their pay is really good compared to MSFT and Oracle, so they can always attract top talents. The more they grow, the more overpriced the stocks are, and the easier for them to issue stocks to finance everything in order to kill competitors and gain moat. That is exactly what I would do if I were the CEO.
As a value investor, I agree that they are overpriced and I am not interested in buying at current levels, but I am currently considering to join their company and get a good chunk of stock awards. If my prediction is right, these overpriced stocks will become even more overpriced in 3 years. If they don't, I am still doing fine because the majority chunk of these stocks will be vested to me in the 3rd year, and I will get very good cash bonus for 1st and 2nd year. :)

Are they issuing more stock? I haven't seen secondary offerings.

ItsAValueTrap

• Blog
« Reply #254 on: October 25, 2013, 07:22:38 AM »
The fact that AMZN is extremely over priced enables them to issue stocks to finance every thing.
Except they issued stock during the tech bubble.  I believe Buffett bought Amazon debt at one point in time.
"It's far better to buy a wonderful company at a fair price than a fair company at a wonderful price. " -Buffett

my blog

compoundinglife

« Reply #255 on: October 25, 2013, 07:38:18 AM »
The fact that AMZN is extremely over priced enables them to issue stocks to finance every thing.
Except they issued stock during the tech bubble.  I believe Buffett bought Amazon debt at one point in time.

Yes he did when their debt was HY. This might have been already posted on the thread: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2003-04-12/business/0304120174_1_junk-bonds-warren-buffett-berkshire-hathaway

muscleman

« Reply #256 on: October 25, 2013, 08:26:03 AM »

Reminds me of mushrooms.

Are they issuing more stock? I haven't seen secondary offerings.

They give new hires stock awards, and also I heard that they give employee annual bonus only in stocks. I know that a lot of companies have employee stock purchase plan, so I think AMZN probably has one as well.

Grenville

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #257 on: October 25, 2013, 09:35:12 AM »
In the Q3 2013 release, Bezos mentions the deployment of 1,382 Kiva robots to 3 fulfillment centers. They haven't referred to the Kiva robots before from what I can remember. They also raised the min on free shipping to $35.

bookie71

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #258 on: October 25, 2013, 11:56:47 AM »
FWIW:
My last order to Amazon wasn't filed and shipped until almost a week after I placed the order.
In the past "in stock" items were always shipped, at the latest, the next day.
It is a good thing I wasn't in a hurry, but it might make me think about ordering from somewhere else next time.
CB
P.S.  Maybe the robots were sick  ;D
Always remember, Pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered.

link01

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #259 on: October 25, 2013, 11:58:24 AM »

sounds about right in theory. and many hi-fliers do issue stock to finance acquisitions. but amzn is not one of them. diluted shares were 419m in 2003 and were 453m at 2012 yr end.