Author Topic: BAM - Brookfield Asset Management  (Read 308816 times)

villainx

Re: BAM - Brookfield Asset Management
« Reply #270 on: November 02, 2017, 11:16:04 AM »
I appreciate the replies but I'm not sure that explains why BAM has an equity portfolio with over 150 names.

I believe they have various funds and through their PE stuff?

They have a public equities fund, which I imagine is being reported through the 13-F.

How does it perform?

racemize

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #271 on: November 02, 2017, 11:35:37 AM »
I appreciate the replies but I'm not sure that explains why BAM has an equity portfolio with over 150 names.

I believe they have various funds and through their PE stuff?

They have a public equities fund, which I imagine is being reported through the 13-F.

How does it perform?

I'm not sure, they talk about it occasionally, but I don't think I've seen what the performance was.  It might be somewhere in one of the investor days.

John Hjorth

« Reply #272 on: November 02, 2017, 12:53:00 PM »
Actually, it's - in principle - simple, we just have to drill down the whole BAM thing, top-down. There are 213 legal Brookfield entities on EDGAR, which we could start with.
”In the race of excellence … there is no finish line.”
-HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and Ruler of Dubai

gokou3

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #273 on: November 02, 2017, 12:57:06 PM »
I believe they have increased their position in GGP recently

That's right:

https://web.tmxmoney.com/article.php?newsid=5633276542017897&qm_symbol=BPY.UN

In addition, subsequent to quarter-end, we exercised all of the outstanding GGP warrants that were set to expire on November 9, 2017, resulting in the acquisition of 68 million GGP shares for approximately $462 million.  As a result, our common equity ownership of GGP increased from 29% to 34%.

Spekulatius

« Reply #275 on: November 03, 2017, 04:03:11 AM »
I believe they have increased their position in GGP recently

They exercised some GGP warrants that became due and I believe their position in GGP is about 34% now.
To be a realist, one has to believe in miracles.

John Hjorth

« Reply #276 on: November 11, 2017, 08:17:47 AM »
BAM 2017Q3 out Thursday this week. In short, just growth all over the place, while the company continues to do its thing.

I get dizzy when I start to think about what this behemoth might look like 10 years from now. I'm still on the school bench with regard to finding a way to study and follow this company going forward.
-HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and Ruler of Dubai

Cigarbutt

« Reply #277 on: November 11, 2017, 09:07:38 AM »
Hi John,
Disclosure: not up to date, on my watch list, may eventually put a high % of funds into BAM.

An "easy" way is to look a the long term track record and jump in the train.
My own bias would be to understand better before a long term commitment.

A while back, because looking at BAM, I followed a course offered by Coursera and used the below mentioned document.
Thought it was useful, learned a lot and the time invested helped to start reduce the dizziness looking at BAM and what it may become.
To each his/her own way.

https://www.coursera.org/learn/infrastructure-investing#
http://www.untag-smd.ac.id/files/Perpustakaan_Digital_1/FINANCE%20Project%20Finance%20in%20Theory%20and%20Practice.pdf

John Hjorth

« Reply #278 on: November 11, 2017, 10:15:36 AM »
Thanks a lot for guidance, Cigarbutt!

It's actually very much appreciated.

Personally, and so far, I have come to the interim conclusion, that the problem here, with BAM, for my part, most likely is inside my head: The brain wash, that took place when I was younger, to become a CPA, and thereby - by definition - a nitpicker.

I have now been fighting this propensity & bias for more than 5 years, with the aim to become better at investing.

plato1976

« Reply #279 on: November 11, 2017, 11:36:39 AM »
Is this one a sure double in 5 years?

BAM 2017Q3 out Thursday this week. In short, just growth all over the place, while the company continues to do its thing.

I get dizzy when I start to think about what this behemoth might look like 10 years from now. I'm still on the school bench with regard to finding a way to study and follow this company going forward.