Author Topic: BH - Biglari Holdings  (Read 1312225 times)

MYDemaray

Re: BH - Biglari Holdings
« Reply #430 on: March 03, 2014, 03:58:07 AM »
alright, let's start the betting on when Sardar changes the name MAXIM to BIGLARI (for a fee, of course)

rkbabang

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #431 on: March 03, 2014, 07:17:01 AM »
alright, let's start the betting on when Sardar changes the name MAXIM to BIGLARI (for a fee, of course)

Yes within the first year. And of course every issue will feature his face on the cover.

MYDemaray

« Reply #432 on: March 03, 2014, 08:00:49 AM »
what I really want to spend my morning doing, is photo-shopping a mag cover for the next issue of BIGLARI with Sardar flanked by two scantily clad women, chowing down on a Steak-N-Shake burger on the front porch of a Cracker Barrel, but alas I have better things to do.....or do I?

rkbabang

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #433 on: March 03, 2014, 08:11:56 AM »
what I really want to spend my morning doing, is photo-shopping a mag cover for the next issue of BIGLARI with Sardar flanked by two scantily clad women, chowing down on a Steak-N-Shake burger on the front porch of a Cracker Barrel, but alas I have better things to do.....or do I?

Make it him standing in the parking lot of a Cracker Barrel, so you can show him standing next to his Lamborghini and the girls laying on top of it.  Also, don't forget that the Biglari Magazine logo is his signature.

peridotcapital

• Peridot Capital Management LLC
« Reply #434 on: March 03, 2014, 08:21:35 AM »
http://nypost.com/2014/03/01/texas-investor-scoops-up-maxim/

"Alpha Media has finally found a buyer for its beleaguered Maxim magazine ó Texas investor Sardar Biglari. Terms were not disclosed but sources said San Antonio-based Biglari Holdings paid between $10 million and $15 million. The laddie magazine lost an estimated $7 million last year on revenue of about $35 million, sources said."

premfan

« Reply #435 on: March 03, 2014, 08:29:10 AM »
Could be an okay deal. Cut expenses and show a profit. Why would biglari waste this time and energy on something that won't move the needle.  Where is the insurance company he promised shareholders. 

giofranchi

• Twitter: @giovfranchi
    • Master School Politecnico di Milano
« Reply #436 on: March 03, 2014, 09:24:48 AM »
Ok. Now, letís show the entrepreneur in each of us:

If you were in Mr. Biglariís shoes, what would you do with MAXIM, and how would you use its publishing infrastructure? For $10 to $15 million you got hold of a publishing infastructure already present in 75 countries... now what?

Any ideas?

Gio
Portfolio: AAPL, AMZN, BABA, BOSS, BRK.B, FB, FFH, FIH.U, FINX, FWONA, GOOG, IBB, JPM, LBRDA, MKL, NKE, QQQ, SFTBF, SMH, TCEHY, V, XBI, XT

T-bone1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #437 on: March 03, 2014, 09:35:31 AM »

If you were in Mr. Biglariís shoes, what would you do with MAXIM, and how would you use its publishing infrastructure? For $10 to $15 million you got hold of a publishing infastructure already present in 75 countries... now what?

Any ideas?

Gio

Given his taste in cars, I assume he bought Maxim for the same reason Donald Trump bought the Miss Universe pageant . . . and I don't think it was for a cash return

constructive

• My Seeking Alpha articles
« Reply #438 on: March 03, 2014, 09:40:52 AM »

Any ideas?

Gio

I'd increase targeted online marketing and marketing on university campuses, and stop doing business in the most unprofitable of those 75 countries.

And try to flip it to Playboy or another strategic buyer as soon as I possibly could.

premfan

« Reply #439 on: March 03, 2014, 09:45:05 AM »

Any ideas?

Gio

I would focus my time and energy on moving 585 million of shareholder equity forward. To increase my cult following and leverage that to get more deals. I surely wouldnt waste my time on such a small deal. I would try to keep my promise to shareholders on acquiring a insurance company. I would cut cost to the bare bone and keep whatever profit is left knowing i'm in a dying industry.