Author Topic: CHTR - Charter Communications  (Read 244610 times)

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
Re: CHTR - Charter Communications
« Reply #950 on: March 14, 2019, 10:00:33 AM »
Liberty - oh ;D

No worries. Text is inherently an ambiguous medium when it comes to irony \_(ツ)_/
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | This podcast episode is a must-listen

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #951 on: March 21, 2019, 12:26:36 PM »
very interesting thread on VZ's current 5G deployment:

https://twitter.com/modestproposal1/status/1108747354365149185

Moffett did fantastic research on Verizon's fixed wireless. Using public records from Sacramento, they identified the location of VZ's small cells. Then using VZ's website, they manually input 45K (!) addresses to check to see if service was available or currently subscribed.

First, the most important point about overbuilding in general:

"One of the touchstones of telecommunications is that overbuilding wired networks almost never works" [...]

The most important takeaway is why eligibility is so low, and it has to do with distance from the small cells. Eligibility rapidly declines as you move away from the small cells. By 400 feet, less than 50% of addresses were eligible, and by 700 feet almost no addresses were.

Verizon has talked about distances as great as 1900 feet. But so far, in one real world environment, that is not happening. The implication for coverage, and therefore costs, are important. Were these results indicative, VZ would need over 1M small cells to cover 30% of the US. [...]
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | This podcast episode is a must-listen

DooDiligence

• ♪ 🎶 ♫ ♪ 🎶 ♫
« Reply #952 on: March 21, 2019, 01:55:12 PM »

Moffett did fantastic research on Verizon's fixed wireless. Using public records from Sacramento, they identified the location of VZ's small cells. Then using VZ's website, they manually input 45K (!) addresses to check to see if service was available or currently subscribed.

"One of the touchstones of telecommunications is that overbuilding wired networks almost never works" [...]

The most important takeaway is why eligibility is so low, and it has to do with distance from the small cells. Eligibility rapidly declines as you move away from the small cells. By 400 feet, less than 50% of addresses were eligible, and by 700 feet almost no addresses were.

Verizon has talked about distances as great as 1900 feet. But so far, in one real world environment, that is not happening. The implication for coverage, and therefore costs, are important. Were these results indicative, VZ would need over 1M small cells to cover 30% of the US. [...]

Nice, thanks!
Healthcare 35.2% - CVS DVA EW NVO // BRK.B - 21.9% // Media & Communication 14.4% - CHTR DIS

Drinkers & Smokers 13.5% - ABEV MO // Auto's & Oil 12.7% - CLB GPC VDE // Tech 2.0% - AAPL

%'s held @ MV 05/24/2019 minus $$$

i trumpet my ignorance

https://twitter.com/tunawish

vince

« Reply #953 on: March 21, 2019, 06:56:17 PM »

Holy shit....it's about time we get some real world truth on this subject.  Have had trouble sleeping lately, not tonight, I owe you one Liberty!!

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #954 on: March 22, 2019, 06:12:02 AM »
Holy shit....it's about time we get some real world truth on this subject.  Have had trouble sleeping lately, not tonight, I owe you one Liberty!!

NP, but if you're having trouble sleeping because of your CHTR position, maybe you own too much!

btw, I think they'll probably keep tweaking and improving the cells and will probably get better distances over time... But on the other hand, chances are that they cherry picked the best sites to begin the roll out, so as they go down the list, real-world performance might get even worse in certain cases, not better. Just speculation on my part, though.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 06:13:33 AM by Liberty »

vince

« Reply #955 on: March 22, 2019, 09:22:25 AM »

NP, but if you're having trouble sleeping because of your CHTR position, maybe you own too much!

btw, I think they'll probably keep tweaking and improving the cells and will probably get better distances over time... But on the other hand, chances are that they cherry picked the best sites to begin the roll out, so as they go down the list, real-world performance might get even worse in certain cases, not better. Just speculation on my part, though.

Charter isnt what keeps me up at night even tho I probably do own too much.  Definitely agree that performance with small cells will get better over time but that's the point.....this potential threat is gonna take a long time.  And even as it gets better, it doesnt look like an overbuild will ever be economical which means a higher price for cable properties if and when wireless starts talking about cable acquisitions again.

vince

« Reply #956 on: March 22, 2019, 09:33:01 AM »
Moffett report is on their website but you need a password.  Looks like a large part of it is on lightreading website. 

DooDiligence

• ♪ 🎶 ♫ ♪ 🎶 ♫
« Reply #957 on: March 29, 2019, 08:42:26 AM »
Will this have a material impact on Charter?

What could Charter have done to prevent users from infringing?

https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/tech/8504148/music-companies-charter-communications-spectrum-copyright-lawsuit
Healthcare 35.2% - CVS DVA EW NVO // BRK.B - 21.9% // Media & Communication 14.4% - CHTR DIS

Drinkers & Smokers 13.5% - ABEV MO // Auto's & Oil 12.7% - CLB GPC VDE // Tech 2.0% - AAPL

%'s held @ MV 05/24/2019 minus $$$

i trumpet my ignorance

https://twitter.com/tunawish

walkie518

« Reply #958 on: April 01, 2019, 01:27:44 PM »

scorpioncapital

• Lifetime Member
    • scorpion capital