Author Topic: CHTR - Charter Communications  (Read 155135 times)

Spekulatius

Re: CHTR - Charter Communications
« Reply #450 on: May 25, 2018, 10:58:23 AM »
How can anyone know the IRR for an evolving technology that is still in a the testing stage. I don’t think the CFO’s if the company involved know the answer. Folks should get a grip here, time would be better spent opening a cold one. Happy Friday afternoon !
To be a realist, one has to believe in miracles.

undervalued

« Reply #451 on: May 25, 2018, 11:36:36 AM »
I guess an easier answer to ponder is which one takes more capital, that is for cable companies to setup tower or phone companies to layout fiber? Which one of the two require more CAPEX and who can do it faster? What is the benefit of being the first to reach that goal? Since most phone companies have great concentration in big cities, they'll have superior advantage. They have less of it in suburbs. I think telco and cable need each other to make 5G available to everyone.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers

Munger_Disciple

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #452 on: May 25, 2018, 11:46:29 AM »

Also, false accusations? Not following what statement you're referencing.

You were saying in an earlier post that "assuming the Verizon CEO is lying is a dangerous thesis." It certainly wasn't my thesis (though I am somewhat skeptical of marketing videos in general) and you should not imply otherwise. Anyway it is pointless for me to prolong this back and forth with you.

jmp8822

« Reply #453 on: May 25, 2018, 12:04:12 PM »

Also, false accusations? Not following what statement you're referencing.

You were saying in an earlier post that "assuming the Verizon CEO is lying is a dangerous thesis." It certainly wasn't my thesis (though I am somewhat skeptical of marketing videos in general) and you should not imply otherwise. Anyway it is pointless for me to prolong this back and forth with you.

You said that 5G has a 100 meter range. The Verizon CEO said 5G has a 2,000 foot range.  Those are at odds - I shouldn't have suggested that you actually believe 5G has a 100 meter range, maybe you were just saying other people think that. I find the fact that 5G could have a 2,000+ foot range to be an existential risk to cable internet.

Munger_Disciple

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #454 on: May 25, 2018, 12:15:19 PM »
time would be better spent opening a cold one. Happy Friday afternoon !

You are 100% correct and I am going to follow this advice. 

vinod1

• Lifetime Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #455 on: May 25, 2018, 12:22:10 PM »
Once you have 5G on mobile devices, I would think that usage can shoot up 100x current levels. Many people might be willing to pay up for unlimited wireless downloads.

Can 5G meet the needs of mobile users if usage does increase 100x and still have enough bandwidth to meet wireless internet to customers?

Vinod
The fundamental algorithm of life: repeat what works. –Charlie Munger

cameronfen

« Reply #456 on: May 25, 2018, 12:28:52 PM »
One way to test the success of 5G wireless broadband, is to listen to asian telecos conference calls.  I have read in places that asia is the first place this will be rolled out to public.  High population density plus integrated (ie fiber plus mobile) telecos mean that I think people are already rolling out 5g to customers.  I think listening in on the china unicom, china telecom, china mobile (as well as maybe the japanese telecos but less sure what their timeline is) will allow people to see how sucessful 5g is (as its rolled out but before it hits US) and the existential risks to charter. 

cameronfen

« Reply #457 on: May 25, 2018, 12:34:25 PM »
Once you have 5G on mobile devices, I would think that usage can shoot up 100x current levels. Many people might be willing to pay up for unlimited wireless downloads.

Can 5G meet the needs of mobile users if usage does increase 100x and still have enough bandwidth to meet wireless internet to customers?

Vinod

I dont know.  When I hear of increasing bandwith 100x, I think to myself the Clayton Christensen idea of how established players often over innovate in an area where customers needs are already fully satiated.  I think most people can't find use for the bandwidth that they already have. 

vinod1

• Lifetime Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #458 on: May 25, 2018, 02:39:46 PM »

Vinod

I dont know.  When I hear of increasing bandwith 100x, I think to myself the Clayton Christensen idea of how established players often over innovate in an area where customers needs are already fully satiated.  I think most people can't find use for the bandwidth that they already have.

Let me explain what I was trying to get at.

Currently most people have about 1 or 2 GB data limit  per device on their mobile plans (roughly a 8 GB plan for 4 devices in family). But people use up 200 GB to 500 GB per family on their Internet service.

Often people wait until they have a Wi-Fi connection to watch videos, etc. that require high bandwidth. If 5G enables mobile carriers to offer very high data limits, then it is likely that people would be using up a whole lot more data.

So using up 50 GB to 100 GB data per month on a mobile device is not really that big of a leap. Hence my question.

Thanks

Vinod
The fundamental algorithm of life: repeat what works. –Charlie Munger

undervalued

« Reply #459 on: May 25, 2018, 02:55:48 PM »

Vinod

I think you underestimate how much bandwidth people will use. Maybe try to see how much people are using between the move from 1G to 2G, and 2G to 3G, and then 3G to 4G. As of right now, 4K streaming is only possible for those people with fibers. When 4K streaming is possible, who knows what kind of technology will be created. Game streaming is a sure thing. IoT will only be using and producing more and more data.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers