Author Topic: DIS - Disney  (Read 46678 times)

glorysk87

Re: DIS - Disney
« Reply #130 on: April 15, 2019, 11:49:34 AM »
I've read about the Disney+/Hulu segmentation and for me that is pure milking of customers. (No, I'm not a Disney fan coming into this.). And while I wanted to cancel Netflix, I see Netflix as being the most customer friendly of all media companies. They don't try to segment me and milk me for extra dollars to see all the content they have. Disney wants to force me to sub Disney+ for Marvel/StarWars/kiddie stuff and Hulu for every other movie. This sucks on two levels: I don't give a crap about kiddie stuff, so on one side they are segmenting too little and on the other side they are segmenting too much. So personally I'm likely not gonna subscribe to either.

But then a lot of other people will likely sub to Disney+... Hulu is less likely.

Edit: I'm might ask Sanjeev to change my name tag to "Grumpy Investor".  8)

Haha - man, no one is ever happy.

Over the past few years, the common complaint was that bundling was an awful experience because it forced the consumer to pay for stuff they didn't want to watch in order to have access to stuff they did want to watch.

So companies have moved more towards a segmented product offering - multiple different services that you can subscribe to separately. If you want kids stuff, just sub to the kids service. If you want other stuff, pay for Hulu.

Yet now people like our friend Jurgis here are complaining that they have to pay for things separately.

Grumpy investor indeed.

Jurgis

• Porfolio
« Reply #131 on: April 15, 2019, 11:55:09 AM »
If you want kids stuff, just sub to the kids service. If you want other stuff, pay for Hulu.

Except that Marvel/Star Wars are not kids stuff.
"Before you can be rich, you must be poor." - Nef Anyo
--------------------------------------------------------------------
"American History X", "Milk", "The Insider", "Dirty Money", "LBJ"

rogermunibond

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #132 on: April 15, 2019, 12:22:39 PM »
Jurgis - was never going to happen since DIS only owns 60% of Hulu.  It would be compelling as an offering and from a UI perspective though.

rkbabang

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #133 on: April 15, 2019, 12:58:48 PM »
If you want kids stuff, just sub to the kids service. If you want other stuff, pay for Hulu.

But how many times can you watch the same movies?   Disney+ looks like the type of thing you subscribe to for a month 1-2 times per year to watch a certain thing then unsubscribe.  Unless you have kids.

Spekulatius

« Reply #134 on: April 15, 2019, 01:08:36 PM »

But how many times can you watch the same movies?   Disney+ looks like the type of thing you subscribe to for a month 1-2 times per year to watch a certain thing then unsubscribe.  Unless you have kids.

Exactly. The greatest thing about the streaming services is that they are so easy to cancel.
To be a realist, one has to believe in miracles.

glorysk87

« Reply #135 on: April 15, 2019, 01:09:14 PM »

WHOOSH - missed the point entirely

rogermunibond

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #136 on: April 15, 2019, 01:43:16 PM »
https://secondmeasure.com/datapoints/game-of-thrones-premiere-spikes-hbo-now-signups/

Not sure where the data comes from.  Maybe survey.  But OTT churn is pretty real.  Whether marketing CAC gets re-spent would be a concern.  To returning subs use new email addresses and qualify for promotional dollars?

estoybien

« Reply #137 on: April 15, 2019, 02:26:06 PM »

At least having to buy A&B to get A is better than having to buy A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,etc to get A...

As for my fam, we a) would stay subscribed to Netflix if it were substantially more expensive, b) will subscribe to Disney+ but price sensitive bc it's a limited universe of content and kids are getting older, c) *might* get a bundle Disney+/Hulu/ESPN+ but not for much more, d) would keep Amazon Prime if it were substantially more expensive, but don't really watch Amazon Prime Video at all. (Wrong thread, but I think Amazon Prime Video really needs a rebranding.)

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #138 on: April 15, 2019, 03:33:55 PM »
Interesting adjustment of his aggregation thesis.  I don't really see Netflix as pure aggregator anymore.  Not in the same sense as Google, FB, or even Youtube.

When so much of Netflix content is self-produced originals the melding of the supplier/aggregator roles is pretty extreme.

Why do you think self-producing content is opposed to the idea of being an aggregator? I don't think it is.

It's because they can aggregate so much demand that it makes sense for them to self-produce (can spread fixed costs over a larger base).
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | This podcast episode is a must-listen

bizaro86

« Reply #139 on: April 15, 2019, 07:50:11 PM »
Interesting adjustment of his aggregation thesis.  I don't really see Netflix as pure aggregator anymore.  Not in the same sense as Google, FB, or even Youtube.

When so much of Netflix content is self-produced originals the melding of the supplier/aggregator roles is pretty extreme.

Why do you think self-producing content is opposed to the idea of being an aggregator? I don't think it is.

It's because they can aggregate so much demand that it makes sense for them to self-produce (can spread fixed costs over a larger base).

There is some game theory here as well - by having their own in house content production they have more credibility in negotiations for content. Without that, they would be very much beholden to the big studios, even more than they already are.