Author Topic: DIS - Disney  (Read 40893 times)

rkbabang

• Lifetime Member
Re: DIS - Disney
« Reply #120 on: April 12, 2019, 11:57:20 AM »
DisPlus setting a stake at $7/mo or $70/year makes it nearly impossible for Netflix to raise prices again, IMO.

Tell that to my wife.  8)

Netflix is not gonna be cancelled even if it goes to $20 per month.
We likely won't sub DisPlus even at $7 per month.

Opinions may change at any time and all that.

Same here.  We just cancelled YouTubeTV which was raising its price to $50/month and got us thinking that we never even watch it.  All we really watch in our house is Netflix, Amazon Prime, and regular youTube.   Netflix is way under-priced IMHO.  We wouldn't cancel it if it was $40/month. (I hope Reed Hastings doesn't read this).

DooDiligence

• ♪ 🎶 ♫ ♪ 🎶 ♫
« Reply #121 on: April 12, 2019, 12:13:59 PM »
Doesn't ESPN+ just have like a ancillary things that aren't on one of the ESPN networks?  The disney+ name is confusing/suboptimal to me, coming from that perspective.

I think Disney + means pay more than the base sub rate & get more  ;)

Sports packages & PPV should drive add-on sales?

MMA is like $5 a month extra & that alone should be worth a ton of subs.

Premier League, La Liga & Bundesliga, hooty hoo!

Cricket, why not?

Big market for that & football (and I do mean real football where they don't touch the ball with their hands.)
Healthcare 36.1% - CVS DVA EW NVO // BRK.B - 20.9% // Media & Communication 12.6% - CHTR DIS

Drinkers & Smokers 13.4% - ABEV MO // Auto's & Oil 14.7% - CLB GPC VDE // Tech 2.4% - AAPL

%'s held @ MV 04/5/2019 minus $$$

i trumpet my ignorance

https://twitter.com/tunawish

Spekulatius

« Reply #122 on: April 12, 2019, 04:16:59 PM »
The investor day presentation is very well made. Now we have
Disney+ for kids and teens (animations, Star wars, superhero’s , documentaries )
Hulu - regular streaming TV, competing with Netflix
ESPN+ streaming for sports fans.

Looks like investors may be good for another 20 years if this works out.
To be a realist, one has to believe in miracles.

Own The Rails

« Reply #123 on: April 12, 2019, 07:57:20 PM »
Anyone else think the sub targets are aggressive? 60-90mm by the end of FY2024 when NFLX is at 60mm US subs today.

glorysk87

« Reply #124 on: April 12, 2019, 09:04:11 PM »
Anyone else think the sub targets are aggressive? 60-90mm by the end of FY2024 when NFLX is at 60mm US subs today.

Not particularly. Guidance implies 20 to 30m subscribers in the US by 2024. Doesn't seem aggressive at all tbh.

rkbabang

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #125 on: April 15, 2019, 07:07:17 AM »
The investor day presentation is very well made. Now we have
Disney+ for kids and teens (animations, Star wars, superhero’s , documentaries )
Hulu - regular streaming TV, competing with Netflix
ESPN+ streaming for sports fans.

Looks like investors may be good for another 20 years if this works out.

I do like how they are separating things like that.  In the old days of cable, and even these new live TV streaming services like Hulu live TV, youTubeTV, playstation vue, directv now, etc, you have to pay for sports even if you never watch them.  This way you can pay for only what you intend to watch.  Separating things into sports, children's programming, and everything else.  It isn't completely pay per view, but it isn't everything all bundled together and you pay for it all whether you want it or not.  I think this might be a winning move.

rogermunibond

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #126 on: April 15, 2019, 08:20:52 AM »

Not particularly. Guidance implies 20 to 30m subscribers in the US by 2024. Doesn't seem aggressive at all tbh.

Yeah they said 1/3 NA and 2/3 international.  Actually think the sub estimate could be lowballing.

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #127 on: April 15, 2019, 09:21:48 AM »
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | This podcast episode is a must-listen

rogermunibond

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #128 on: April 15, 2019, 09:36:31 AM »
Interesting adjustment of his aggregation thesis.  I don't really see Netflix as pure aggregator anymore.  Not in the same sense as Google, FB, or even Youtube.

When so much of Netflix content is self-produced originals the melding of the supplier/aggregator roles is pretty extreme.

Jurgis

• Porfolio
« Reply #129 on: April 15, 2019, 09:37:49 AM »
I've read about the Disney+/Hulu segmentation and for me that is pure milking of customers. (No, I'm not a Disney fan coming into this.). And while I wanted to cancel Netflix, I see Netflix as being the most customer friendly of all media companies. They don't try to segment me and milk me for extra dollars to see all the content they have. Disney wants to force me to sub Disney+ for Marvel/StarWars/kiddie stuff and Hulu for every other movie. This sucks on two levels: I don't give a crap about kiddie stuff, so on one side they are segmenting too little and on the other side they are segmenting too much. So personally I'm likely not gonna subscribe to either.

But then a lot of other people will likely sub to Disney+... Hulu is less likely.

Edit: I'm might ask Sanjeev to change my name tag to "Grumpy Investor".  8)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 09:44:03 AM by Jurgis »
"Before you can be rich, you must be poor." - Nef Anyo
--------------------------------------------------------------------
"American History X", "Milk", "The Insider", "Dirty Money", "LBJ"