Author Topic: DIS - Disney  (Read 47220 times)

Spekulatius

Re: DIS - Disney
« Reply #150 on: April 16, 2019, 04:36:37 PM »
Yes, sports programming keeps cable TV alive. There is an untapped (IMO) market to give the customer exactly what they want. Sell subscription to special events like soccer world cup, Olympic Games, European championships, Formula one seasons, NASCAR etc. I would gladly pay for these events, if I can view them the way I want to and the subscription is reasonably priced. itís similar to the unbundling in the music industry. Recording these events gets cheaper and streaming is dirt cheap, so I think this will eventually come. Eventually business owners like Formula one can do this all by themselves, no middle man needed and keep more $ in their pocket. Same with FIFA, Nascar etc.

Starwars a great asset for Disney and I think they got a bargain. The content will be monetizable for a long time, they can monetize this in theme parks, video games, eventually virtual reality....Disney is already the Berskhire of best in class entertainment IP and assets.
To be a realist, one has to believe in miracles.

CorpRaider

• The Corpraider
« Reply #151 on: April 16, 2019, 05:57:02 PM »
One more last jedi and I'm not so sure about that.

Jurgis

• Porfolio
« Reply #152 on: April 17, 2019, 12:23:00 AM »
Starwars a great asset for Disney and I think they got a bargain. The content will be monetizable for a long time, they can monetize this in theme parks, video games, eventually virtual reality....Disney is already the Berskhire of best in class entertainment IP and assets.

I'll be grumpy again, but I find Star Wars being milked to extinction. There's too much mediocre to crappy SW content especially if you also account for all the games.

I'd say the same about Marvel superheroes properties. There has been a super wave of superhero movies and huge monetization of these, but IMO it's getting very saturated and overproduced. Remember how superhero movies were in deep craphole in 90s? Nothing says we can't see this again.

There's something to be said about past Disney approach when they released a movie and then the movie was pulled from distribution for 15 years or so until new generation came. You wanted to see "The Lion King" five years after release? Tough luck, wait another 10 years.
This is clearly impossible in the current day, but it was a smart approach.
"Before you can be rich, you must be poor." - Nef Anyo
--------------------------------------------------------------------
"American History X", "Milk", "The Insider", "Dirty Money", "LBJ"

LC

« Reply #153 on: April 17, 2019, 09:32:43 AM »

I'll be grumpy again, but I find Star Wars being milked to extinction. There's too much mediocre to crappy SW content especially if you also account for all the games.

I'd say the same about Marvel superheroes properties. There has been a super wave of superhero movies and huge monetization of these, but IMO it's getting very saturated and overproduced. Remember how superhero movies were in deep craphole in 90s? Nothing says we can't see this again.

There's something to be said about past Disney approach when they released a movie and then the movie was pulled from distribution for 15 years or so until new generation came. You wanted to see "The Lion King" five years after release? Tough luck, wait another 10 years.
This is clearly impossible in the current day, but it was a smart approach.

I think you make fair points but I'd argue there is really no better home for story franchises.
"Lethargy bordering on sloth remains the cornerstone of our investment style."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
brk.b | irm | mo | nlsn | pm | tap | v | vz | wm

Jurgis

• Porfolio
« Reply #154 on: April 17, 2019, 11:17:19 AM »
I think you make fair points but I'd argue there is really no better home for story franchises.

I won't dispute that.  8)
"Before you can be rich, you must be poor." - Nef Anyo
--------------------------------------------------------------------
"American History X", "Milk", "The Insider", "Dirty Money", "LBJ"

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #155 on: April 21, 2019, 05:00:14 AM »
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | This podcast episode is a must-listen

rogermunibond

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #156 on: April 22, 2019, 06:55:24 AM »
https://variety.com/2019/digital/news/disney-netflix-streaming-content-comparison-1203193967/

Less than 20% of Netflix's quantity, but higher rated content.

walkie518

« Reply #157 on: April 22, 2019, 09:00:27 AM »
I don't understand why the market overlooked Disney+ until announcement?  I thought this might've already founds its way into the price?

Netflix clearly has the lead in distribution, but a niche A+ product should do well relative to the on-and-off content found on NFLX

HBO NOW might also have a future ;) 

there is plenty of room to pick and choose and still pay less than the cable bundle!

blainehodder

« Reply #158 on: April 22, 2019, 09:03:17 AM »
That is the mystery. The fact that it ramped 12% on what was well telegraphed and understood 2 year old info is bizarre, but looking at the multiple it is hard to say that is was already priced in.

rogermunibond

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #159 on: April 22, 2019, 10:00:50 AM »
Scope of offerings on Disney+ and the monthly price were not known.  Matt Ball and others wrote about what they "should" do, but until they did it, I suppose one couldn't be sure.

Also could have been an overhang from the DIS/FOXA merger arbs.