Author Topic: FB - Facebook  (Read 183362 times)

fareastwarriors

Re: FB - Facebook
« Reply #600 on: April 11, 2018, 08:55:35 AM »
Instagram Looks Like Facebook’s Best Hope

With lawmakers and users on the warpath, the photo-sharing app could be Mark Zuckerberg’s way out of the latest data scandal.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-04-10/instagram-looks-like-facebook-s-best-hope

oddballstocks

• Lifetime Member
    • Oddball Stocks Blog
« Reply #601 on: April 11, 2018, 08:59:46 AM »
I wish someone would ask the elephant in the room.

Senator "I just want to confirm, even if you pretend to collect less data from users that you'll still be collecting and shipping the full amount to the CIA and NSA correct?"

Zuck "Yes.."
The ultimate edge for bank investors: http://www.completebankdata.com

Jurgis

• Porfolio
« Reply #602 on: April 11, 2018, 09:08:21 AM »
Senator:
You're walking in the woods.
There's no one around,
And your phone is dead.
Out of the corner of your eye you spot him...

Zuck: Shia Labeouf

------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0u4M6vppCI
"Before you can be rich, you must be poor." - Nef Anyo

rkbabang

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #603 on: April 11, 2018, 09:35:25 AM »
Of course congress is too busy trying to understand the internets and how all this new fangled technology the young people are using these days works to ask the real questions about the real issues:

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg Says He ‘Was Human’

‘I am not a lizard’: Mark Zuckerberg is latest celebrity asked about reptilian conspiracy  (isn't that exactly what a lizard would say?)

People Are Wondering If Mark Zuckerberg Is Actually A Robot

LongTermView

« Reply #604 on: April 11, 2018, 02:48:19 PM »
I like this example that Zuckerberg gave yesterday at the Senate hearing:
ZUCKERBERG: So let's say you have — you're an app developer, and you — your goal is you want to get more people to install your app. You could bid in the ad system and say I will pay $3 anytime someone installs this app.

And then we basically calculate on — on our side which ads are going to be relevant for people, and we have an incentive to show people ads that are going to be relevant because we only get paid when it delivers a business result, and — and that's how the system works.

CAPITO: So it — it could be one — you could be paid for the advertisement. I mean for the sale.

ZUCKERBERG: We — we get paid when the action of the advertiser wants to — to happen, happens.

longinvestor

• Lifetime Member
  • Never interrupt compounding unnecessarily -Munger
« Reply #605 on: April 14, 2018, 08:57:13 AM »
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 09:22:18 AM by longinvestor »

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #606 on: April 16, 2018, 07:30:52 AM »
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | Interesting podcast on sleep science

vinod1

• Lifetime Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #607 on: April 16, 2018, 08:10:14 AM »

And this, thoughtful essay from an early insider / investor in FB

https://washingtonmonthly.com/magazine/january-february-march-2018/how-to-fix-facebook-before-it-fixes-us/

This is a really good article.

Hope some of the recommendations are put into practice. The two below would be a good starting point to promote greater competition:

Second, the platforms should not be allowed to make any acquisitions until they have addressed the damage caused to date, taken steps to prevent harm in the future, and demonstrated that such acquisitions will not result in diminished competition.

Seventh, consumers, not the platforms, should own their own data. In the case of Facebook, this includes posts, friends, and events—in short, the entire social graph. Users created this data, so they should have the right to export it to other social networks.

Vinod

The fundamental algorithm of life: repeat what works. –Charlie Munger

Jurgis

• Porfolio
« Reply #608 on: April 16, 2018, 09:11:18 AM »
Seventh, consumers, not the platforms, should own their own data. In the case of Facebook, this includes posts, friends, and events—in short, the entire social graph. Users created this data, so they should have the right to export it to other social networks. [/i]

This may be well intentioned but really meaningless.

Show me a single social network or forum or whatever that allows you to export your data (ah, btw Facebook does allow you to export your data haha 8)) in a way that is then importable somewhere else and it just works... Right. Crickets.

People who write these articles probably think that if they write it, someone will just magically do what they suggest and world will be a better place (TM). In reality, the "magically" part is really really hard. And unless there's a huge strong push by a visionary team, none of it is going to happen. Especially when suggestions require interoperability, portability, etc.

Edit: homework assignment for the talented people everywhere: if I export my data from CoBF, which clearly refers to other people in CoBF, their posts, threads, etc., how exactly this can be imported into some-CoBF-clone-forum-social-network without losing most of its meaning? Bonus question: how do you preserve context without violating rights of others?
Edit2: I forgot: the solution is to put everything on blockchain. There.  8)  ::)  ;D

Color me skeptical.  8)

But I am all for world peace, rainbow unicorns, and users owning their data.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 09:26:05 AM by Jurgis »
"Before you can be rich, you must be poor." - Nef Anyo

vinod1

• Lifetime Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #609 on: April 16, 2018, 10:00:09 AM »
Seventh, consumers, not the platforms, should own their own data. In the case of Facebook, this includes posts, friends, and events—in short, the entire social graph. Users created this data, so they should have the right to export it to other social networks. [/i]

This may be well intentioned but really meaningless.

Show me a single social network or forum or whatever that allows you to export your data (ah, btw Facebook does allow you to export your data haha 8)) in a way that is then importable somewhere else and it just works... Right. Crickets.

People who write these articles probably think that if they write it, someone will just magically do what they suggest and world will be a better place (TM). In reality, the "magically" part is really really hard. And unless there's a huge strong push by a visionary team, none of it is going to happen. Especially when suggestions require interoperability, portability, etc.

Edit: homework assignment for the talented people everywhere: if I export my data from CoBF, which clearly refers to other people in CoBF, their posts, threads, etc., how exactly this can be imported into some-CoBF-clone-forum-social-network without losing most of its meaning? Bonus question: how do you preserve context without violating rights of others?
Edit2: I forgot: the solution is to put everything on blockchain. There.  8)  ::)  ;D

Color me skeptical.  8)

But I am all for world peace, rainbow unicorns, and users owning their data.

Instagram. It was able to grow by being able to import from Twitter social graph. Now all of them wised up. But it has been done in the past.

Forget data. Just being able to export your social network. One way to implement would be to come up with a unique ID for each person at Facebook level. So nothing personally identifiable would be exported but just this unique facebook ID of friends relationship would be exported. That way you can recreate the relationships in another competing network.

Count me  skeptical as well that this would happen.

I am skeptical in the existence of God. But I think it would be terrific to have a God. So something like that.

The combination of Facebook not being able to buy any more social companies + export of social graph would help a great deal to incent startups in this space. May or may not make a dent in Facebook but it would be a way to promote competition.

Vinod
The fundamental algorithm of life: repeat what works. –Charlie Munger