Author Topic: GM - General Motors  (Read 513697 times)

vince

Re: GM - General Motors
« Reply #1590 on: October 10, 2018, 05:39:10 PM »
I'm still giggling

rb

« Reply #1591 on: October 10, 2018, 09:35:40 PM »
^ and if it doesn’t work, you get a GE. Apple was a more straightforward case than GM, because of their profitability and the clean balance sheet.
How so? Did GE buy in stock at 4 times operating earnings with an overcapitalized balance sheet and then fall apart because of the buyback? I mean to pick a high profile disaster and compare it with something that doesnt even remotely resemble the circumstances of GM makes no sense.  Sometimes you will make mistakes, its obviously not going to work everytime but that doesnt mean you dismiss a rational economic strategy.  GM does have a clean balance sheet and substantial earnings, thats why I think they should do it.  If the ingredients arent there then dont do it.  Can you imagine mgmt saying we are scared to do it cause GE fell apart?
It seems to me that your whole criticism of why GM is so shit at capital allocation is that they didn't take their balance sheet for a spin to lever up as much as they can to buy stock. Well here's the thing: Companies that go through bankruptcy proceedings and come out the other end tend to not take their balance sheets for spins. They've had enough fun already and they're not looking for more. You should expect that.

However, that's not such a big deal. If you think they're wrong you can fix it for them. They pay a 4.7% divvy. You can reinvest that in order to increase the buyback. If you think their capital structure is incorrect you can lever it up by using margin. Your increased risk will be mitigated by their pristine balance sheet.

rb

« Reply #1592 on: October 10, 2018, 09:37:12 PM »
Another guardian of shareholder value

https://finance.yahoo.com/m/d6139960-08bc-34cd-9e41-ed48e5d34594/general-motors-adds-another.html

I wonder how much stock she owns?
Hahahahahahahahahaha, I'm cracking up!!!
Maybe you could share with the rest of us what's that funny.

DTEJD1997

« Reply #1593 on: October 11, 2018, 08:31:51 AM »
Yeah!  What is so funny about GM?

Women are now represented on the BOD.

When are shareholders going to get representation?

If shareholders were represented, maybe some of things being discussed on this thread would take place.

vince

« Reply #1594 on: October 11, 2018, 09:09:56 AM »
Well I think its pretty clear what made it funny, at least for me, you should read the entire thread.  And when you read it you will also see that I never recommended them lever up as much as they can but I clearly think they have excess cash and could afford some fixed debt.  Do you know how much cash they keep or how much debt they have?  Do you realize that their after tax cost of debt (and probably even pre tax cost of debt) would have been lower than their dividend yield when stock is in the low 30"s?.  It doesnt take a masters in economics to see a very high probability of value enhancement.  The fact that you dont agree with me doesnt mean you should try and make your case against something I didnt say.  And dont take it personally, its just my opinion.

Spekulatius

« Reply #1595 on: October 11, 2018, 05:11:06 PM »

https://finance.yahoo.com/m/d6139960-08bc-34cd-9e41-ed48e5d34594/general-motors-adds-another.html

The new board member has no discernible automotive and as it looks not even really business experience. I think it is fair to say that she would never been elected, if she were male. What exactly does an “expert in geopolitical and macroeconomic climate” do and how is this relevant for GM, one might want to ask?
To be a realist, one has to believe in miracles.

Jurgis

• Porfolio
« Reply #1596 on: October 11, 2018, 09:08:12 PM »

The new board member has no discernible automotive and as it looks not even really business experience. I think it is fair to say that she would never been elected, if she were male. What exactly does an “expert in geopolitical and macroeconomic climate” do and how is this relevant for GM, one might want to ask?

Edit: Screw it. Life is too short. CoBF is completely toxic board now. Good bye and thanks for all the fish. Have fun.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 09:21:41 PM by Jurgis »
"Before you can be rich, you must be poor." - Nef Anyo

JRM

« Reply #1597 on: October 12, 2018, 02:53:31 AM »
This podcast episode talked a lot about the optionality in GM, and they seemed surprisingly well informed.

https://www.fool.com/podcasts/industry-focus/2018-10-11-energy-the-tesla-fatigue-podcast

RadMan24

« Reply #1598 on: October 12, 2018, 05:08:12 AM »

Edit: Screw it. Life is too short. CoBF is completely toxic board now. Good bye and thanks for all the fish. Have fun.

No kidding.

RadMan24

« Reply #1599 on: October 12, 2018, 05:13:34 AM »
Well I think its pretty clear what made it funny, at least for me, you should read the entire thread.  And when you read it you will also see that I never recommended them lever up as much as they can but I clearly think they have excess cash and could afford some fixed debt.  Do you know how much cash they keep or how much debt they have?  Do you realize that their after tax cost of debt (and probably even pre tax cost of debt) would have been lower than their dividend yield when stock is in the low 30"s?.  It doesnt take a masters in economics to see a very high probability of value enhancement.  The fact that you dont agree with me doesnt mean you should try and make your case against something I didnt say.  And dont take it personally, its just my opinion.

You just don't get it. That's what I've concluded after reading the entire thread.