Author Topic: GOOGL - Google  (Read 343983 times)

fisch777

Re: GOOGL - Google
« Reply #1810 on: September 19, 2017, 06:58:37 AM »
Not to mention...just throw a 9x sales ratio on there

hardincap

« Reply #1811 on: October 23, 2017, 12:55:27 PM »
one thing google has going for it that is vastly underappreciated imo is that their work culture is very healthy and continues to attract the best and brightest in the valley. I speak from first hand experience as an ex engineering employee and a resident of silicon valley. other tech giants apple, netflix, amazon, uber, ibm, etc dont really come close in terms of ability to attract talent, with the exception of *maybe* facebook. google's application to hire rate last year was .2%!

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #1812 on: October 23, 2017, 01:47:18 PM »
one thing google has going for it that is vastly underappreciated imo is that their work culture is very healthy and continues to attract the best and brightest in the valley. I speak from first hand experience as an ex engineering employee and a resident of silicon valley. other tech giants apple, netflix, amazon, uber, ibm, etc dont really come close in terms of ability to attract talent, with the exception of *maybe* facebook. google's application to hire rate last year was .2%!

Can you elaborate on the local perception of each companies, and what might make FB the other top magnet for talent right now. Thanks.
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | Watch this, please

hardincap

« Reply #1813 on: October 23, 2017, 02:25:35 PM »
everyone knows google and fb have passed their rocketship phase. the new unicorns uber, airbnb, lyft, etc have been doing a decent job attracting younger talent with pre-ipo stock, but google/fb still comps better than the tech unicorns. its rather common for engineers with 5-10 years exp at g/fb to be making mid 300s in total comp per year. its very hard for startups to match these numbers

SlowAppreciation

• Slow Appreciation
« Reply #1814 on: October 23, 2017, 02:39:23 PM »
one thing google has going for it that is vastly underappreciated imo is that their work culture is very healthy and continues to attract the best and brightest in the valley.

Strongly disagree. My proof is that they hired me... :P

SlowAppreciation

• Slow Appreciation
« Reply #1815 on: October 23, 2017, 02:44:24 PM »
everyone knows google and fb have passed their rocketship phase. the new unicorns uber, airbnb, lyft, etc have been doing a decent job attracting younger talent with pre-ipo stock, but google/fb still comps better than the tech unicorns. its rather common for engineers with 5-10 years exp at g/fb to be making mid 300s in total comp per year. its very hard for startups to match these numbers

yup.. this is pretty accurate. However I will say that most other companies get by using far fewer employees for a given role. For example, at google I could probably not show up for work for a week and no one would notice; there were always plenty of people to fill or cover. Other tech companies run a lot leaner and do more with less.

hardincap

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #1817 on: October 24, 2017, 05:50:54 AM »
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | Watch this, please

Jurgis

• Porfolio
« Reply #1819 on: December 07, 2017, 02:09:13 PM »
This isn't good: https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/news/2017/12/07/california-fires-navigation-apps-like-waze-sent-commuters-into-flames-drivers/930904001/

This isn't good. But it's also a news story that will happen with any natural disaster and any navigation app/device. The journalist disses Waze, but Waze can be adjusted faster than dedicated nav devices like Garmin (remember these?). I somewhat doubt that majority of car-integrated nav apps were adjusted to avoid fire-closed streets either (if they are updated/updatable at all).

Edit: BTW, I'm pretty sure there were also situations where Waze redirected traffic in good ways away from fire and standstill traffic. Just not in that article...
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 02:11:41 PM by Jurgis »