Author Topic: GOOGL - Google  (Read 458976 times)

DCG

• Lifetime Member
    • Venture Blend
Re: GOOGL - Google
« Reply #1940 on: January 23, 2019, 01:20:52 PM »
The issue for me is just that the price of high-speed internet + the $/40/month for YouTube TV doesn't really end up any cheaper that a cable internet/tv package through Comcast or most other cable TV providers. Not sure about other cable providers, but if you remove TV service from Comcast, they still charge around $100/month for internet. Comcast has a monopoly in my area for high-speed internet.

Spekulatius

« Reply #1941 on: January 24, 2019, 08:03:49 AM »
$100/month is a lot for high speed internet. I have lived in 3 very different locations during the last few years and the cost for high speed internet was ~$50/month. In each location, there was at least one competitor offering the same.
To be a realist, one has to believe in miracles.

chrispy

« Reply #1942 on: January 24, 2019, 08:39:56 AM »
What you two both described is accurate from my small sample of talking with friends:

1 provider - $100 for internet
>1 providers - $50 for internet

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #1943 on: January 24, 2019, 08:48:59 AM »
I think we're missing some variables to be able to compare. If someone is getting 30mbps internet with a small monthly cap and the other is getting 200mbps with 1tb/month, the difference in price could be easily explained.
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | The importance of saying 'oops'

rkbabang

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1944 on: January 24, 2019, 10:36:17 AM »
The issue for me is just that the price of high-speed internet + the $/40/month for YouTube TV doesn't really end up any cheaper that a cable internet/tv package through Comcast or most other cable TV providers. Not sure about other cable providers, but if you remove TV service from Comcast, they still charge around $100/month for internet. Comcast has a monopoly in my area for high-speed internet.

I was paying over $230/mo to comcast for TV, 200mbps internet (no cap), and home phone.  I now pay Comcast $99/mo for 400mbps internet (no cap), youtube TV $40/mo and Ooma $4/mo for phone.  I could have kept the 200mbps internet for cheaper I think it might have been $69 or $79/mo.

Also as far as competition goes Fairpoint offers Fiber to about half of my town, which directly competes with Comcast. But not in my neighborhood, so I have no choice but to use Comcast.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 10:48:26 AM by rkbabang »

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #1945 on: February 04, 2019, 02:04:27 PM »
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | The importance of saying 'oops'

dwy000

« Reply #1946 on: February 04, 2019, 02:26:43 PM »
Q4:

https://abc.xyz/investor/static/pdf/2018Q4_alphabet_earnings_release.pdf?cache=adc3b38

Capex up over 25bn in the past year, more than MSFT..

I was pretty shocked at the capex growth.  2x last year and about 3x depr/amort.  That's on top of 50% growth in R&D.  I get investing for the future (and 22% revenue growth is nothing to sneeze at for a company this size) but would love to get more color in exactly what that spend is going toward and what their capital hurdle rates are for the spend.

Spekulatius

« Reply #1947 on: February 04, 2019, 05:05:13 PM »
Q4:

https://abc.xyz/investor/static/pdf/2018Q4_alphabet_earnings_release.pdf?cache=adc3b38

Capex up over 25bn in the past year, more than MSFT..

I was pretty shocked at the capex growth.  2x last year and about 3x depr/amort.  That's on top of 50% growth in R&D.  I get investing for the future (and 22% revenue growth is nothing to sneeze at for a company this size) but would love to get more color in exactly what that spend is going toward and what their capital hurdle rates are for the spend.

Also, the number of employee’s is up 23%’ a bit more than revenues. Same problem than FB, where costs are rising faster than revenues. I get the increased losses at Google ventures, but the margin and cost trends in the core business are a bit worrisome.
To be a realist, one has to believe in miracles.

saltybit

« Reply #1948 on: February 04, 2019, 05:32:52 PM »
The increase in headcount and spending is largely for the cloud unit

Gregmal

« Reply #1949 on: February 04, 2019, 06:09:35 PM »
It had been over a year since I purchased some GOOG, but after hours I forced myself to pull the trigger on a small piece. There's some moderate "concerns" but Google is basically the new Visa. It's "everywhere you want to be".

All jokes aside, its core business remains moaty, and the growth is still there. Youtube IMO is really becoming a dominant piece of internet real estate. Whereas I view BRK as the perfect collection of "old economy" businesses, I consider Google to be the perfect collection of "new economy" businesses/assets. I dont expect massive outperformance here, but it's more stable and better diversified IMO than the FB's, AMZN's, AAPL's, and NFLX's of the investing universe. Only company(of the big ones) that I'd say is better situated is MSFT.