Author Topic: HCG.to - Home Capital Group  (Read 84570 times)

πv

Re: HCG.to - Home Capital Group
« Reply #260 on: January 23, 2018, 08:12:36 AM »
Liberty - This does trouble me some although the low interest rates at the moment seem to reduce the risk; I do take comfort in the following  Q3 Total Capital Ratio: 22% /  Q3 Leverage Ratios: 8%/  Q3 LTV:54% / Q3 Default Ratio 0.31%
A margin of safety does seem to be present; although I would like to see their efficiency ratio return to normal ;D  Currently at 114.5% vs   ~38% in 2016.

LightWhale- The initial revolver loan / attempt to buy 40% of the shares was intriguing; thankfully HCG paid off the loan so BRK is just a shareholder at the moment although the high interest rate revolver remains available.  You make a good point in regards to BRK not being able to beat the index by much, they simply have so much money that they are forced to invest in capital heavy business.  However, this is not a Union Pacific, GM or Delta this is out of his old preferred playbook; what intrigues me the most is that he is even playing with these small figures...  Perhaps he sees an expansion potential in the company throughout Canada?  Currently they are mostly out of the Toronto area.

frank87

« Reply #261 on: January 23, 2018, 08:21:59 AM »
Hcg's  lending as explained in the KPMG report sounds shockingly bad. That should be read by anyone prior to investing.

To make matters worse they have no reserves. At even 2% reserves, slightly above US average (they are subprime lender...) would wipe more than 25% of its equity out.

If Cad housing keeps dropping this is likely a 0. If not maybe it does ok. Keep in mind new regs drastically favour bigger banks so think volumes drop

It's embarrassing how little you know, Tim.

LightWhale

« Reply #262 on: January 23, 2018, 08:34:36 AM »
thanks for being blunt Frank, comment removed, the first part of it was ill-informed

TBW

« Reply #263 on: January 23, 2018, 08:40:20 AM »
Enlighten me

πv

« Reply #264 on: January 23, 2018, 08:54:14 PM »
I was not aware of the KPMG report thanks for the mention of that; the fact that it was an internal report makes it seem like people had the right idea but keeping shareholders in the dark was dumb...  (Unrelated - It is funny how KPMG just got a black eye for that same timeframe in the WSJ  ;D ;D ;D)

Their reserve numbers seem adequate: Q3 2017 Total Capital Ratio/Common Equity Tier 1 Capital Ratio: 21.25% / Leverage Ratio: 7.89%  I believe Canada has slightly different definitions but FDIC defines Well Capitalized at TCR> 10% / T1CR >6% / Leverage Ratio >5% 
Cash on hand: 2.6bi and that damn 2bi BRK revolver; also LTV: 53.7% seems pretty good

From what I have seen so far the new regulations may make things interesting.  Potential boost for HCG?  Interesting article below.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/new-mortgage-stress-tests-could-disqualify-10-of-buyers-bank-of-canada/article37109981/

HCG themselves is undecided  :o

from Q3 Report -
"It is unclear what impact the revisions to B-20 will have on the real estate and mortgage markets as a whole, particularly
when combined with changes under the Ontario Fair Housing Plan announced by the Ontario Ministry of Finance in April
2017. The Company has identified a number of strategies to mitigate the impact of stress testing and co-lending changes
while maintaining overall credit quality. However, management will require a period of time to fully assess the market impact
from the changes and what the net impact will be on the Company’s addressable market and product suite offering. The
Company will attend OSFI information sessions before the end of the year to receive further clarity on certain revisions such
as income verification and co-lending standards."

50centdollars

« Reply #265 on: January 24, 2018, 04:04:18 AM »
Hcg's  lending as explained in the KPMG report sounds shockingly bad. That should be read by anyone prior to investing.

To make matters worse they have no reserves. At even 2% reserves, slightly above US average (they are subprime lender...) would wipe more than 25% of its equity out.

If Cad housing keeps dropping this is likely a 0. If not maybe it does ok. Keep in mind new regs drastically favour bigger banks so think volumes drop

It's embarrassing how little you know, Tim.

Frank - why don't you actually say something instead of idiotic one liners. Please tell us what went on at Home Capital. I need a good laugh.
50centdollars

gurjot

« Reply #266 on: February 14, 2018, 11:23:08 PM »
earnings released today.  little lower than what i was hoping for.  any comments from anyone?

πv

« Reply #267 on: February 15, 2018, 12:42:43 PM »
A deliberate recovery effort is ongoing; Q2 really hurt 2017.  Lets hope for a uneventful 2018.  The great unknown is still the overall Canadian housing market (hence the discount price); interesting discussions albeit heated at times throughout this forum.  There is also a decent summary behind the Financial Times paywall if interested from last week. 

Curious to see if Insiders continue to buy like they did after Q3.

πv

« Reply #268 on: February 25, 2018, 02:47:48 PM »
Small Insider Buy from new independent director seems to be it for this quarter

3136470   2018-02-16   2018-02-21   Control or Direction :
Paul Haggis and Bonnie Haggis   10 - Acquisition or disposition in the public market   +5,950   16.9764       5,950   

Bio - http://www.homecapital.com/directors_officers.asp